Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:34:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them  (Read 179062 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« on: May 11, 2016, 11:13:42 AM »

Gingrich is interesting because it's possible he helps neutralize one of Clinton's big advantages, which is nostalgia for the success and stability of the '90s. Trump and Gingrich can just attribute the prosperity to the Republicans in Congress and argue that their ticket now has the winning recipe.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 10:40:17 AM »

Trump should really pick a woman an a minority one at that:

1. Susana Martinez - likely not interested
2. Nikki Haley - likely not interested

My most likely choice on who Trump will settle on: Fallin. Woman who is a two term governor and served a term in the house, she would bring the political background Trump said he is looking for and could help bridge the gap with some woman voters.

Complete Wild Card: Just throwing it out even though it will never happen, Condoleezza Rice.

I don't know if he could get away with picking Rice after so strongly condemning the Bush administration's foreign policy. But then again, consistent internal logic has never been one of Trump's biggest priorities or strongest qualities. Tongue
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 02:15:22 AM »

Put me on team Warren after seeing her latest speech. She is exactly what Hillary needs.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 08:36:41 PM »

Yes, because of course these people just wouldn't be qualified. Clearly the only reason to pick a minority or a woman would be to pander.

Roll Eyes
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 11:26:39 PM »

Announcing early could be beneficial. I doubt this is it, but let's think about it...

Hillary is at arguably her lowest low, and Trump benefits as long as he continues to make his run seem normal and legitimate. Nothing will be happening on the Democratic side for at least a week and a half. Rolling out a VP pick would give him all that time to build up street cred and begin defining himself before Hillary can do it for him.

Still, it's really early, and tactically speaking it might be even smarter to do it June 8th, immediately after Hillary begins the presumptive nominee, so that he can suck all the air out of the room/wind out of her sails.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 10:47:03 AM »

An all-woman ticket would certainly up the odds that Trump stumbles across a sexist remark that is finally actually disqualifying.

But I'm torn as to whether that actually exists. The misogyny of the male electorate seems to know no bounds. So banking on the above strategy could be risky...
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 12:52:59 AM »

Or Warren just flat-out preferred Clinton and Clinton wanted her to stay out so she could help unify when Bernie inevitably became too curmudgeony to do it himself.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 04:27:01 PM »

Sad that it's a statement anyone would actually take issue with.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 07:40:16 PM »

IT'S PENCE!!!!!!!!
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 07:40:44 PM »

Jk
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 11:49:43 AM »

And in three hours the campaign will signal that it's Gingrich, and in eight they'll say it's Christie.

He's making the media dance so that this is all they talk about for the whole day. I wouldn't put much stock in anything until you hear a name from Trump himself.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 11:40:47 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2016, 11:44:04 AM by HagridOfTheDeep »

I am cautiously optimistic that she'll make an exciting pick.

I mean, she must have "felt the magic" during her joint rally with Warren, because there's no way she could have felt it with Kaine. It was just so obvious what a bore the guy is, and for all her flaws, Hillary isn't stupid.

Plus, it seems to me that Trump has kind of made a tactical error. Pence was a super-boring pick, and his convention so far has been a dud. It'll appeal to the most hardcore of hardcore Republicans, but I have a hard time seeing how someone who is on the fence could turn on the TV, witness the tone of the RNC (blatant racism, factless lip-flapping, chants of "lock her up!" etc.) and feel more comfortable voting Trump.

A choice like Kaine or Vilsack is status quo. Maybe it keeps the race at Clinton +3 or so, but that's still an uncomfortably thin margin when the stakes are as high as they are. At this stage with Trump, I have a very hard time seeing how Warren would actually hurt Clinton, net-net... and with Warren there is a real opportunity to unleash some excitement for the campaign. What is more, I think Warren's energy helps make Hillary a better candidate herself. And when she feels like she's fighting to make history, it becomes personal for her and she begins to exude a kind of warmth that could improve her favourables. Plus, Hillary needs a more coherent message, and Warren helps crystallize one for the campaign (kind of like how Romney's Ryan pick was seen at the time to give the GOP ticket some ideological teeth).

Even so, my one fear with Trump is that his campaign and messaging are so thin that it is very easy for people to project whatever they want onto him. A core message of "greatness" is pretty flexible. CNN had a family of Trump supporters on Don Lemon's show last night (a black family, no less), and their message was thoughtful, precise, well-informed... except Trump has never really indicated his support for what this family was fighting for. They just, sort of... saw it in him. That's scary. Especially when it gives surrogates the chance to actually present an intelligent case for Trump.

All that to say, Hillary needs someone who actually makes her ideological case stronger as well as someone who is not afraid to go on the attack in a substantial way. She also needs to find a way to at least partially make her campaign transcend the political and become a movement. The only candidate who does all this for her is Warren. The party's demographic advantage makes it hard for Hillary to lose regardless, but it would be nice to give the Republicans a thumping so that things can actually get done. And long-term, the only way Hillary wins re-election is if she can actually point to progress.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 04:06:38 PM »

This isn't about paying respect. It's about playing the news cycle.

Also, it's kind of good because it means Trump gets no positive spin at all from his speech. Let today be all about Munich and the rest of the weekend can be all about Hillary.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 04:29:32 PM »

This isn't about paying respect. It's about playing the news cycle.

Also, it's kind of good because it means Trump gets no positive spin at all from his speech. Let today be all about Munich and the rest of the weekend can be all about Hillary.
I did not understand... what is "kind of good"?

Hillary's decision to wait to announce her pick 'til tomorrow. Obviously the attack is not good. It's horrible—and that goes without saying.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 06:54:45 PM »

I'm pissed. It's gonna happen literally as I am commuting home from work. Sigh. I wanna be watching the news when it happens.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2016, 07:11:18 PM »

Yuck.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2016, 07:12:33 PM »

I mean, basically we could have guessed this eight years ago for Christ's sake.

Very disappointed. So low-energy.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies