Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:39:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them  (Read 180534 times)
dspNY
United States

« on: April 23, 2016, 08:58:09 AM »

It will be Perez, Castro or Booker. She has to pick a minority because she will win the primary on the strength of minority voters.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 09:05:58 AM »

Rooting for Deval Patrick. He's unquestionably qualified, would make an excellent attack dog, and it completely rewards African Americans, who are probably the main reason Hillary was able to put the nomination away.

Will never be him...

1. He doesn't want it
2. Clinton won't pick him because this actually would cause more Berners to say #BernieorBust (he's at Bain Capital!)
dspNY
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 10:48:31 AM »

It's going to be Christie IMO. The Donald is going all in on his perceived Northeast popularity
dspNY
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 01:47:17 PM »

As a Democratic voter, PLEASE pick Sarah Palin, Donald! It'll be so nice to vote against her twice and see her lose again in a landslide
dspNY
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 03:19:28 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2016, 03:26:18 PM by dspNY »

Kaine as VP is the classic do no harm pick. It solidifies Virginia and indicates that Clinton is taking little risk as a candidate who is solidly ahead.

Warren as VP indicates that the obstinate Sanders voters are cutting into her margin some and she needs a pick to draw them in and build a solid lead.

Castro as VP, not sure what to make of it...maybe draw Trump's fire into further racial attacks? Trump really got hurt with the Gonzalo Curiel smears so maybe she would try and create another backlash.

I agree with some of the other posters that Perez or Becerra are much better Latino VP picks than Castro

BTW I think it will be Warren. Look at how active Warren has been with Clinton since she endorsed. She visited Brooklyn HQ and gave a pep talk to the ground staff; she's been the lead attack dog, which is the VP's political role in a presidential campaign, and polling has indicated that Democrats want Warren over the other VP choices. Her messaging when attacking Trump is almost identical to Clinton's.

Harry Reid even went to the unusual step of trying finding a loophole to replace Warren with another Dem senator should Clinton pick her which is another indication that Warren is the frontrunner
dspNY
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 12:13:46 PM »

Corker is a lot of things but monumentally stupid isn't one of them
dspNY
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 12:36:34 PM »

I think that Trump making nicey-nice with Saddam was enough for Corker to say "deuces" to Trump
dspNY
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 01:17:16 PM »

Deirdre Walsh ✔ @deirdrewalshcnn
Corker tells @mkraju he's withdrawing from Trump's VP consideration & adds: "His best running mate, by the way, would be Ivanka"
12:52 PM - 6 Jul 2016

I tend to agree with Corker on this...either Ivanka or her husband Jared Kushner would be better for Trump than, say, Newt Gingrich would be.

Corker throwing shade!
dspNY
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 02:23:04 PM »

Pence probably wants to run himself in 2020 so I think he stays away from the Trump Trainwreck
dspNY
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 02:25:57 PM »

I think it's down to Sessions, Fallin, Newt and Christie for Trump

The first two (Sessions and Fallin) are from two of the very small handful of states in the country (maybe 10) where Trump has a positive approval rating.

The last two (Newt and Christie) are already politically dead so they have nothing to lose by being Trump's VP
dspNY
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 05:22:45 PM »

So, does anyone know when Trump is going to announce who he picked?

Pence has until noon on the 15th (which is next week Friday...earlier I erroneously said it was Thursday, but it's Friday) to withdraw from the governor's race.  Since it sounds like Pence is one of the finalists, I assume Trump will decided before then.  My guess is any time between Monday and Thursday of next week.

Highly unlikely Pence leaves the governor's mansion in Indiana where he will likely win for an almost hopeless VP run where he loses that governor's post
dspNY
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 05:47:47 PM »

So, does anyone know when Trump is going to announce who he picked?

Pence has until noon on the 15th (which is next week Friday...earlier I erroneously said it was Thursday, but it's Friday) to withdraw from the governor's race.  Since it sounds like Pence is one of the finalists, I assume Trump will decided before then.  My guess is any time between Monday and Thursday of next week.

Highly unlikely Pence leaves the governor's mansion in Indiana where he will likely win for an almost hopeless VP run where he loses that governor's post

But he has to be at least strongly considering it, no?  Otherwise, what is the point of stringing the Trump people along like this?  If he had no intention of leaving the governor's mansion, he could have just told them that he's not interested, as so many other potential veep candidates have done.

I can't imagine it makes any sense at all for Pence. He has to know that Trump is hopeless and he'd have a better shot of running for President himself next cycle. Unless Pence is a true believer or is in a terrible position for reelection as governor, there's no way he'd logically want it and ruin his career
dspNY
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 03:42:04 PM »

Trump/Newt

dspNY
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 11:43:46 PM »

Trump told donors in Bel-Air on Thursday evening he would announce his choice over the weekend.

So, its not Pence then.....
Pence could still drop out tomorrow and be officially chosen this weekend, from what I have heard he has both been offed and accepted to be Trumps running mate.

And we've been debating if its a ploy on this forum for the last several hours.  He still hasnt dropped out of the gov race.  He has what til noon friday?

Supposedly someone tweeted that Pence could get put back on the ballot at Indiana's GOP convention if he leaves the Gov race and is not selected as Trump's VP. However that would be a tall order since some Hoosier Republicans want to replace him
dspNY
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 09:08:54 AM »

So Trump pretty much freaked out not only over the tragedy in France but the campaign mechanics of picking a vice president
dspNY
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2016, 01:06:32 PM »

Bayh jumping into the Indiana Senate race plus Kander polling very close to Blunt in Missouri might give Hillary more flexibility to pick a senator from a state with a GOP gov
dspNY
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2016, 01:18:06 PM »

I think they're vetting him for SecDef more than VP
dspNY
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2016, 08:11:46 PM »

I'm hoping for Warren, Franken, Klobuchar, Perez, or Becerra, in no particular order.

No idea why Franken isn't talked about more. Would be a strong, exciting pick.

Agreed. He's got NBC/entertainment creds to
match Trump, but has worked hard to be taken seriously. He should sell well to progressives...Air America, attacks on Oreilly.

Maybe Franken doesn't want it
dspNY
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2016, 10:35:22 AM »

Clinton going for a western strategy with Hickenlooper would definitely be a curveball
dspNY
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2016, 03:00:44 PM »

I'm actually surprised Jeff Merkley didn't make the shortlist for VP. It would be a great way to satisfy the left, without the potential pitfalls of the other options (age, gender, and Senate seat, for Sanders/Warren/Brown respectively.)
I'm surprised Franken didn't

Well, I like Franken, but it's not exactly hard to see why he wasn't considered (SNL baggage.) I have a hard time thinking of an explanation for no Merkley.
I'd imagine that they did approach him to see if he was interested in being vetted, and he probably just outright declined.

This is probably right. Merkley most likely had no interest
dspNY
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2016, 07:54:23 PM »

I really don't understand why everyone is so down on Vilsack?  It's clear from polling that Clinton is having more trouble with the Midwest swing voter than with the Southeast swing voter and that if she loses VA, she will have already lost the EC elsewhere.  She could use a boost in Iowa and in similar parts of other Midwest states more than she could use a boost in VA, right?  I'd be a lot more concerned about Perez or Warren saying something off-the-wall left wing and hurting her powerful stability argument with college-educated moderates

I don't know about Perez, but every speech I've heard from Warren has had a laser focus. I do agree that Vilsack could be useful in the Midwest, but I think that Warren's message would fit there as well. I think think this situation also shows just how bad the Democratic bench is in the Midwest.

Sherrod Brown would be an excellent VP choice but the Dems don't want to give up that Senate seat
dspNY
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2016, 12:06:35 PM »

dspNY
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2016, 12:03:11 AM »

I'm really praying that all of these "VP leaks" end up being a head-fake for a surprise pick like Warren.

If it does end up being Kaine, do you think Hillary would want to appoint Warren to a position in her cabinet?

You would still temporarily give up the Senate seat unless Reid found a loophole in Massachusetts state law
dspNY
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2016, 06:45:52 PM »

c'mon guys, we all know it's gonna be warren (, earl, the desiccated corpse of)

A strong bipartisan ticket
dspNY
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2016, 06:47:04 PM »

We're going to hear any moment (for real). Podesta calling all the VP candidates telling them her decision

https://twitter.com/jeffzeleny/status/756635634115178496
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies