How should we vote for the president of the world
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:23:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  How should we vote for the president of the world
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How should we vote for the president of the world  (Read 989 times)
buritobr
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 14, 2016, 09:10:27 PM »

I think that in an election for the president of the world, the american electoral college system would make sense, in order to avoid that the candidates make campaign only in China and in India. Each country would have a number of EVs almost according to the population. The countries who have low population should have a little bit more EVs proportionally.
The candidates should win the EVs according to the system "the winner takes all". Winning all the China and India EVs would be a great advantage for a candidate, but if she doesn't have the plurality (or majority) in any other country, she would loose. In a direct popular vote election, having a great margin in China and/or India would be enough to win.

The world senate could have ~200 senators, one for each country.
The world house could have ~1400 representatives. Each country would have one representative for each 5 million inhabitants. Countries which have <5 million inhabitants would have one representative.
Why
Unbiased
Australia

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 10:37:09 PM »

There will never be an elected president on the world.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 12:52:58 AM »

There will never be an elected president of the world.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 05:47:48 AM »

Probably would have to be an an indirect election.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 08:53:47 PM »

I count the votes.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 09:03:12 PM »

An online election that's constantly happening.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 07:26:38 AM »

Kinda curious at this answer (is it even a serious answer?), can you elaborate?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 09:06:33 AM »

Probably would have to be an an indirect election.
Indeed.

or in 50 years when everybody* has their own personal secured interactive computing device we'll just vote that way, directly, but for now, yeah, indirect is the only way.  And yes, a lot of people would bitch about it.  That's how we are, no matter what way something works out, there will be people bitching about it.  Sometimes it's you, sometimes it's me, sometimes it's those assholes over there.

*except the Christians worried about the Mark of the Beast, a few hippies and everybody in Costa Rica.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 09:09:12 AM »

I guess every citizen has an account and they endorse any candidate, and the endorsement stays forever.  However, at any time, you can choose to endorse a new candidate.  The candidate with the most votes at any given time is President.  It sounds like a bad system and would be prone to massive swings towards unqualified candidates with a lot of media exposure.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 04:53:46 PM »

I guess every citizen has an account and they endorse any candidate, and the endorsement stays forever.  However, at any time, you can choose to endorse a new candidate.  The candidate with the most votes at any given time is President.  It sounds like a bad system and would be prone to massive swings towards unqualified candidates with a lot of media exposure.

I wasn't really serious, but basically this. It's something that might be interesting for a fictional futuristic scenario, but not something I'd actually want in real life.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 10:00:45 PM »

By never voting for a world president.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 05:26:11 AM »

Anyway, I think that if a world government somehow came into being it would be a parliamentary system, so any "president" would be a figurehead anyway. In that case, I don't really care how they're elected.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 07:35:52 AM »

I wasn't really serious, but basically this. It's something that might be interesting for a fictional futuristic scenario, but not something I'd actually want in real life.
List of Presidents:
....105,456. Real Estate Mogul Jerry Lewis (Independent-Russia) 4:35 PM-4:38:25 PM March 4, 2235
105,457. Inmate Ryan Wu (Dank Memes-China) 4:38:25 PM-4:38:39 PM March 4, 2235
105,458. Lawyer LaMont P. Chung (Fascist-Taiwan) 4:38 PM-4:41 PM March 4, 2235
105,459. Sargeant William D. Putin-Drumpf (Liberal-Peru) 4:41-4:42 PM March 4, 2235....
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 09:02:39 AM »

Anyway, I think that if a world government somehow came into being it would be a parliamentary system, so any "president" would be a figurehead anyway. In that case, I don't really care how they're elected.

Yeah, probably this. I just can't see a FPTP, winner-take-all system working very well at the global level.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 10:05:26 AM »

Yeah, probably this. I just can't see a FPTP, winner-take-all system working very well at the global level.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2016, 11:59:43 AM »

This is something I've thought about a lot. Ideally it would be alternative vote, staggered over a few days (like India) if necessary. I understand it would be a logistical nightmare though.

Also, I would have a 1000 seat assembly (elected by AV in 1000 districts) and 700 seat senate (7 districts of 100 seats, elected by closed list PR, no threshold: Americas; Europe; Sub Saharan Africa; China; India; Middle East/Sahel; East Asia/Oceania) 
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 06:31:23 PM »

How about this as a presidential selection method - randomly select 1000 or so people worldwide, and have them form a body to elect a president.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2016, 07:40:36 AM »

How about this as a presidential selection method - randomly select 1000 or so people worldwide, and have them form a body to elect a president.
I think that would be a terrible idea.  Plus, those 1000 people would have a bad time if they chose a bad President.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies