Who won?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:07:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who won?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: //
Clinton

Sanders

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 108

Author Topic: Who won?  (Read 3033 times)
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2016, 10:57:18 PM »

We're talking about the NY primary where 15-20 % of the electorate on Tuesday is Jewish and Sanders harassed Clinton for not showing enough sympathy for Palestine. Yeah, Sanders fans, keep telling yourselves that Sanders won this debate.

Yeah, how dare he show sympathy for innocent civilians being murdered.

That wasn't the issue. He was harassing her for not showing enough. He screeches BUT YOU WENT TO AIPAC AND DIDN'T TALK ABOUT PALESTINE. Hey Bernie, you didn't go to AIPAC at all.

I'm from the NYC metro area. His comments were fine but when he harassed her for not showing enough sympathy everyone in the room gasped. We knew, "uh oh, this isn't going to play well in the NYC suburbs." And his laugh during the guns exchange was brutal. His non apology to the Sandy Hook families was even more brutal. Double whammy.

He was totally right in that. When he brought up Palestine, she immediately shifted to terrorism and Hamas, completely ignoring the question about innocents in Gaza. Not mentioning Palestine in a lengthy AIPAC speech demonstrates Sanders' point that she would never be able to bring any sort of peace there (not that she cares much about peace anyway).

He did horrible with the gun-related questions as usual, that's nothing new.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2016, 10:59:06 PM »

Completely subjectively, I think Clinton lost, because she made it even harder for me to vote for her in November.

From Sanders rightfully pointing out that incremental change isn't going to cut it on global warming, to her answers on banking, Israel, Libya, Syria, and beyond, Clinton made it frightfully clear that she will govern much like Obama (and her husband and his successor), as a champion of the status quo and existing power relationships. And that sh**t-eating smirk didn't do her any favors either.

On a spectrum with "Never Trump" on one side and "Screw it, I'm voting Green" on the other, this debate pushed me from the "Never Trump" camp back into the middle. Presuming that she had the same effect on other voters, this was a loss for Clinton.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2016, 11:02:59 PM »

Both candidates did fine stroking their respective bases but didn't get beyond that.  Given the demographics of New York and closed primary that plays to Clinton's clear advantage in this case.  Her base is simply larger here and I saw nothing that would erode her core support.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2016, 11:09:03 PM »

It would have been pretty close, but she annihilated him so hard on guns that it became a solid Hillary win.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2016, 11:42:50 PM »

Hillary won overall, they both had the strong and weak suits. Sanders did nothing to hurt her, so a clear win for HRC.

However, can I give my "who lost" award to the crowd who were just insufferable.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2016, 06:51:16 AM »

Sanders failed to damage her beyond repair, so a Clinton win.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2016, 07:29:56 AM »

Clinton, simply because I don't think that this debate is going to change anything, and Clinton is heavily favored to win New York. So, it's a case of a draw going to the front-runner.

This.

The Democratic Party is in the tank for Hillary, and nothing can change this.
skoods
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2016, 08:56:07 AM »

Clinton, simply because I don't think that this debate is going to change anything, and Clinton is heavily favored to win New York. So, it's a case of a draw going to the front-runner.

This.

Disagree. I think plenty could change this. We just saw 8 years ago that she's not insurmountable. However, a one-issue, empty suit, Senator from Vermont who isn't even a Democrat isn't going to be the one to do it. If Biden had run, who knows? But, Bernie Sanders, to anyone who isn't completely disillusioned or in college, is a joke.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2016, 09:53:04 AM »

They both lost. For the better part of two hours, Hillary and Bernie both stammered, squirmed, and refused to answer any question directly.

However, the most cringe-worthy moments all belonged to Clinton, specifically the minimum wage and paid speeches bit. There was also her awkward closing statement, which followed the crowd erupting into cheers of "Bernie!" (because it was packed with Bernie supporters).

Just bad all around.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2016, 10:07:03 AM »

Sanders won clearly but not as big as he needed.

For ex -  I would have destroyed her in a debate on healthcare - You have to be dumb to talk about cost increases on poor because per capita you costs will absolutely fall. In economics we use a word called "Economics of Scale", 1 entity so large that gives you ability to negotiate for large scale issues, brings fixed cost effectively to 0, allows the capital to bring productivity improvement, eliminates states lines, etc & takes away 100's of Billions of profits out will naturally be MUCH more cost effective. This is not a debate honesty & a very easy win - Sanders faltered.

I did exchange messages with the Sanders Digital Director in reddit with proper responses which would have destroyed Clinton on Wall Street, Banks n healthcare n others. Apart from Climate Change & Libya, I could not see my points over-lapping with what Sanders said/used - Call out the bankruptcy bill & Warren Video - When some1 is defending he/she did not get bought off (Bankruptcy bill here), he/she has automatically lost.

Apart from those not so strong responses), Sanders did well & decisively beat Clinton on Social Security, Foreign Policy , Climate Change & 15$ Min Wage. He pushed her on Carbon Tax hard & 1 of the reasons I support Sanders is Climate Change ( Any1 who realizes the importance of Climate Change will look at that as a huge victory for Sanders - You can't combat Climate Change without a Carbon Tax).  Also Social Security was a Slam Dunk with the cap on taxable income thing. She did very bad on paid speeches too.

Overall Sanders won, but not as big as he needed when he is 10-12% down in NY! Happy he got his message across to many new people seeing for the 1st time who will get a good account!
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2016, 10:10:15 AM »

This.

Disagree. I think plenty could change this. We just saw 8 years ago that she's not insurmountable. However, a one-issue, empty suit, Senator from Vermont who isn't even a Democrat isn't going to be the one to do it. If Biden had run, who knows? But, Bernie Sanders, to anyone who isn't completely disillusioned or in college, is a joke.

That is a very dumb statement & gives a very poor account of your intelligence. I mean this guy has got like 44% odd of the Democratic votes, millions of people against freaking Hillary Clinton who scared Elizabeth Warren & Joe Biden off running - I mean when a 74 year old independent Senator wins 80-90% of the Under 30 votes, wins Under 45 votes, wins the White votes which is roughly say like 70%, ties the Hispanic vote with wins in many areas - That needs to be addressed.

Your last statement was very dumb & gives a very poor account of you basic IQ wise!
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2016, 05:15:41 PM »

Mrs. Clinton, easily.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2016, 05:41:32 PM »

This.

That is a very dumb statement & gives a very poor account of your intelligence. I mean this guy has got like 44% odd of the Democratic votes, millions of people against freaking Hillary Clinton who scared Elizabeth Warren & Joe Biden off running - I mean when a 74 year old independent Senator wins 80-90% of the Under 30 votes, wins Under 45 votes, wins the White votes which is roughly say like 70%, ties the Hispanic vote with wins in many areas - That needs to be addressed.

Your last statement was very dumb & gives a very poor account of you basic IQ wise!
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2016, 12:48:01 PM »

Sanders, resoundingly.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2016, 01:27:55 PM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2016, 01:38:18 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2016, 01:40:15 PM by When do you think it will all become clear? »

Honestly, Hillary.

Also, the crowd was incredibly insufferable. A cheer every once in a while is fine, but you can't interrupt the debate for 5 minutes after every single sentence.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies