Is Sanders the Trump of the left?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:24:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is Sanders the Trump of the left?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: skip
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 108

Author Topic: Is Sanders the Trump of the left?  (Read 5125 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 14, 2016, 10:11:12 PM »

Would you agree with this notion or not? Why? 
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 10:13:54 PM »

No, it's a ridiculous claim made by those who clearly have no understanding of the man. Maybe I'll reconsider if he argues that we should ban people of a certain religion from entering this country, proposes building a wall and making another country pay for it, insults female reporters, argues that Clinton only won the contests she won because of voter fraud and her cronies rigging the contests for her, etc.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 10:14:41 PM »

No, it's a ridiculous claim made by those who clearly have no understanding of the man. Maybe I'll reconsider if he argues that we should ban people of a certain religion from entering this country, proposes building a wall and making another country pay for it, insults female reporters, argues that Clinton only won the contests she won because of voter fraud and her cronies rigging the contests for her, etc.

Not saying I believe it myself, I see many Clinton supporters claiming he is the leftist Trump.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 10:15:45 PM »

Yes in that they are both energizing the disaffected anti-establishment crowd.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 10:16:25 PM »

Not saying I believe it myself, I see many Clinton supporters claiming he is the leftist Trump.

Oh, I wasn't specifically accusing you. Don't read too much into that, though. Certain Clinton supporters here have an obsession with slandering him, and it seems no insult is off-limits for them.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 10:24:39 PM »

Absolutely

Bernie Sanders is very right-wing on immigration for a Democrat. Even many Republicans (like Jeb Bush) are to the left of him on immigration.  Sanders and Donald Trump agree on a lot issues like H1-B visas, trade, healthcare, etc. The two of them are anti-establishment candidates energizing disaffected voters. Trump and Sanders undeniably have much in common.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 10:26:25 PM »

They're both fascists.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 10:26:55 PM »

No.  Sanders is sane.
cwt

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 10:28:07 PM »

No.

It's a bit of a meaningless question. They may have a few similarities, but overall they're polar opposites. Completely different candidates.
BundouYMB

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 10:35:05 PM »

Yes. Their ideologies are obviously completely different but both of their campaigns are fueled by white resentment. Sanders is winning over liberal whites who are resentful that Clinton is running a campaign appealing to America's ascendant nonwhite majority -- and by extension not appealing to them. Trump's appealing to conservative whites who are resentful at the very prospect of the Republican establishment maybe, possibly considering appealing to some portion of America's incoming nonwhite majority.

Of course, there are also other factors at play, like the stagnation and decline of factory jobs and small town midwest economies that were based around them, but lets be real here. That's been happening for decades, and Trump and Sanders didn't appear when it started or during the peak of when it was happening (not to mention the fact that whites are still in an extremely advantageous economic position compared to nonwhites, even in the heart of midwest industrial decline.) So I maintain that this does not explain, entirely or even mostly, the rise of Trump and Sanders. I genuinely think the main factor at play with their rise this year is the fact that Obama to some extent and Clinton to a much greater extent have refused to do the whole treat-whites-like-they're-special-snowflakes-and-put-their-issues-on-a-little-silver-pedestal-during-election-years thing and whites are having a little cry about it.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 07:01:46 AM »

There are some similarities but to me the main difference is that Sanders is fundamentally honest while Trump often seems to be in some kind of fantasy world.

Also, despite the lie that the New York Daily News interview showed Sanders to be somehow ignorant of the details of issues (if you actually read the transcript of the interview, it's the New York Daily News editorial board that is ignorant of the details of issues, not Sanders) Sanders is quite well informed, while again, Trump is often in some kind of fantasy world.

Similarities on a handful of issues and a similar lack of concern for pragmatism on those issues and similarities in their use of caricature to demonize those they don't like, but this this to me is a fundamental difference.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 07:04:39 AM »

There both equally extreme and anti-establishment, duh. Unlike nice sensible moderates.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 07:06:03 AM »

Yes, they both are self-righteous blowhards who like to speak in generalities but are stumped when they are asked to provide details about their policies.
It's not a coincidence that their supporters are behaving like cultists.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 07:23:42 AM »

Nope. trump is the trump of the left.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2016, 07:24:12 AM »
« Edited: April 15, 2016, 07:31:19 AM by Adam T »

Yes, they both are self-righteous blowhards who like to speak in generalities but are stumped when they are asked to provide details about their policies.

Where and when has Sanders been stumped when asked to provide details of his policies?

How he'd get his policies passed through Congress, yes, but he has either very detailed plans or plans that are as detailed as they can be given that he couldn't simply impose them by fiat (for instance, if a Sanders administration were to require the 'too big to fail' big banks to sell of some assets or divisions, it wouldn't be up to President Sanders to tell the banks which divisions they would need to sell off, but it would be up to the relevant regulatory agency and the banks to negotiate this.)

I don't dispute that Sanders is not as knowledgeable on the issues as Hilary Rodham Clinton is, but I don't know if there has been any candidate running for the Presidential nomination in the last 40 years who is as knowledgeable on most files as Hilary Rodham Clinton.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2016, 08:08:52 AM »

There is a great diversity of Sanders supporters.  Many of them are part of the traditional New Left.  They have nothing whatsoever to do with Trump.  I think Sanders is traditional New Left.  However, SOME of his supporters are very much like Trump's.

There is, this cycle, what I like to call the "white anger continuum."  White people who have suddenly woken up to the fact that the system is somehow "rigged" and "doesn't work for them."  Really, the original TEA Party protests AND the Occupy movement are both manifestations of this.  There are Sanders AND Trump AND Cruz supporters who ALL are part of the white anger continuum, who all believe elites, whether in the banking and finance sectors, or government, or the media and culture, are screwing them over.

I can't tell you how many conversations I've had with Bernie supporters who say if Clinton is the Democratic nominee, they'll vote Trump in the general.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2016, 08:17:13 AM »

Yes in that they are both energizing the disaffected anti-establishment crowd.

Which is the only similarity. Hillary and Cruz are both essentially establishment candidates, does that make them similar? No.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2016, 09:02:10 AM »

The Dems are the party that appeal towards females because of abortion and planned parenthood and abortion. Trump and Sanders do appeal to non ethnic minorities.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2016, 09:05:53 AM »

The Dems are the party that appeal towards females because of abortion and planned parenthood and abortion. Trump and Sanders do appeal to non ethnic minorities.

Your analysis is just as good as your grammar.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2016, 09:32:12 AM »

Not at all. He's just another political guy who was/is running to her left, or maybe not anymore, IDK. Probably the best shot to get a left wing version of Trump would be from sports or entertainment. You would be talking about someone who has a completely different perspective on life, business, and government. The thing is, most of those people would not want to go through the wringer like what you've seen Trump have to deal with. Trump kind of enjoys it, I think. Maybe too much. Wink
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2016, 09:39:20 AM »

Where and when has Sanders been stumped when asked to provide details of his policies?

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/transcript-bernie-sanders-meets-news-editorial-board-article-1.2588306
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2016, 09:39:59 AM »

Your analysis is just as good as your grammar.

That's the BRTD that I remember from olden times Smiley.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2016, 10:40:28 AM »

Both depend on a rather vague campaign- Make America Great Again.... 'Lets have a revolution'.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2016, 11:20:37 AM »

Trump and Sanders are not similar personalities.

Trump is the Ozzy Osbourne of politics.

Sanders is a lot more educated.

They are both appealing to non-establishment voters.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2016, 11:43:00 AM »

Trump and Sanders are not similar personalities.

Trump is the Ozzy Osbourne of politics.

Sanders is a lot more educated.

They are both appealing to non-establishment voters.

That's highly questionable in terms of both tangible education and especially knowledge of the issues.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies