Kasich: Don't drink alcohol if you don't want to get raped
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:28:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Kasich: Don't drink alcohol if you don't want to get raped
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Kasich: Don't drink alcohol if you don't want to get raped  (Read 10652 times)
PeteB
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2016, 05:02:01 PM »

This discussion is a perfect illustration of Kasich's lack of issues, suitable for opponent attack. He is so ordinary that even comments like these (which he probably should have rephrased, knowing it will be taken out of context) have to be used and dissected. Heaven only knows how many of these threads we would have if every similar Trump comment was discussed.

You astound me.  I can only imagine the mental gymnastics that you must do before you spin everything into a pro-Kasich post.  It must be so exhausting.    

The mental gymnastics is tough...Smiley. But then I think of the alternatives - Trump, Cruz, and it becomes very easy.....

On a more serious note, I already commented about Kasich's foot-in-mouth disease. But that is no reason to make mountains out of molehills.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2016, 05:05:53 PM »

On a more serious note, I already commented about Kasich's foot-in-mouth disease. But that is no reason to make mountains out of molehills.

I wonder if we are seeing GWB 2.0 in the making Roll Eyes
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2016, 05:10:58 PM »

It sure is reassuring to know that college boys never take advantage of inebriated young women and so they have nothing to fear from these situations. 
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2016, 05:13:10 PM »

LOL, but imagine what would happen, had TRUMP said this.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2016, 05:17:29 PM »

LOL, but imagine what would happen, had TRUMP said this.

lol, I'd probably decide to agree with him and turn this into a 13 page thread.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2016, 05:19:36 PM »

So moderate
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2016, 05:30:12 PM »

It's still good advice -- tell your kids who are too young to drink alcoholic beverages to avoid places in which people are drinking heavily. Alcohol kills inhibitions to a man's sex drive and takes away a girl's ability to resist unwelcome sex. Alcohol almost qualifies as a date-rape drug.

I'm a Democrat, and I fully endorse that message. 

Sorry, but that's utter BS.

There is nothing about drunk parties that would make rape particularly likely if there wasn't other factors at play. And it's ridiculous to think that it's on women to avoid parties if they want to feel safe.

umm...  wet roads cause accidents.  Yes of course there are other factors at play like you also need a car to have a car accident but that doesn't mean we should ignore wet roads.

Strange that this is an argument... even more bizarre some people tried to turn it into a partisan argument.

If you want to feel safe, not going to parties with a lot of alcohol is bad advice why? 

Because it denies the human agency of rapists and excuses their behavior.

"Be careful with food around your campsite" is good advice for avoiding problems with bears and raccoons. But we don't treat bears and racoons as people, and we certainly don't let them vote. What Kasich is implicitly saying is that its somehow unfair or wrong to create a standard that requires human beings to act decently (particularly towards women) thereby giving de facto permission for what is completely unacceptable, criminal and destructive behavior.

If Kasich had been asked about the Holocaust, and replied "Jews should have gotten out of Germany" his career would be over. Or, if he were God forbid, assassinated, no one would think that, "I guess he shouldn't have run for president" would be approrpirate.

Errr...  Do you lock the doors and windows of your apartment/house/car?  Are you denying the "human agency" of burglars?

WTF?!
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2016, 05:37:44 PM »

Locking your doors is reasonable advise. It takes a second and doesn't really impact your life otherwise.

Don't socialize, unless it's with Mormons, is not reasonable advise. It impacts your life hugely.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2016, 05:39:35 PM »

If we could ban alcohol, 95% of all crime would instantly disappear, I would wager!!
We tried that in the 1920s and crime skyrocketed.
dax00

« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2016, 05:48:43 PM »

Errr...  Do you lock the doors and windows of your apartment/house/car?  Are you denying the "human agency" of burglars?

WTF?!
Again, imminent threat vs observed threat. Cautioning against parties with alcohol is like cautioning against falling asteroids.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2016, 05:54:13 PM »

Republicans should never, ever talk about rape.

Also, Atlas posters should never, ever talk about rape.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2016, 05:55:35 PM »

Jesus.

Hey neckbeards! Listen to me because I am always right: remarks like this are not O.K. If you think they are O.K. then you, my good sir, are a sexist pig. You may in fact even be indirectly part of the problem. It is absolutely not acceptable to blame rape victims for being rape victims. Your attitudes are sh!tty and you need to be told so in order to become better people.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2016, 05:59:27 PM »

Locking your doors is reasonable advise. It takes a second and doesn't really impact your life otherwise.

Maybe it doesn't change your way of life but I've lived in places where people wouldn't even think of locking their doors and it is a far more noble idyllic and liberating way of life than hanging out with a bunch of underaged drunk frat boy meatheads.  I love the intolerance.  "Because I've lived all my life with a fortress mentality there is no way living in a relatively open crime free society is better."  Well thanks for your insight.

Don't socialize, unless it's with Mormons, is not reasonable advise. It impacts your life hugely.

It's sad the number of people in this thread who's only concept of socializing is puking in a toilet while surrounded by a bunch of frat boys drinking trash can punch.  Really... there is no middle ground between that and Mormons?

I think the reason the OP and many other people posting in this thread wouldn't dare to post what Kasich actually said is because his advice which was only a fraction of what he said is common sense.

Life is full of risks.  It is up to each individual to choose what risks they can/will tolerate.  Personally as a heterosexual male I've removed myself from several social situations over the years because I didn't like the scene nor the direction it was going.  I mean I know I have "muh rights" but I don't want to deal with the consequences of exercising each and every one of those rights 24/7.  I am not going to go out there an exercise "muh rights" to prove a point and end up arrest or killed.  We should advocate to address issues in society but in the interim it is foolish to avoid taking simple preventative measures.

It is a scientific fact that alcohol causes a significant amount of morbidity and mortality amongst young people regardless of gender.  I like alcohol but I'm not so pathetic that I would pretend it is riskless to hang out where it is being used in extreme excess by irresponsible people.

The thing about it is I realize that if I just avoided a handful of situations I could have all but eliminated 95% of the drama in my young life.  There were just a few alcohol fueled nights when things went just a bit too far.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2016, 06:11:51 PM »

WTF?!
Again, imminent threat vs observed threat. Cautioning against parties with alcohol is like cautioning against falling asteroids.

In fairness nothing in your post makes any sense.  Where do you live where there are constantly "imminent" or "observed" threats lurking outside your door/window?  Time to move, man.

So to all the people posting hyperbole in this thread where did Kaisch mention a 30 year old female executive going to a wine tasting at the Met?  Or is the problem there are simply too many adolescents on this forum who don't know the type of party Kaisch is referring to?  Seriously people on this forum need to get a life.  I can't believe there are this many people who can't discern a safe and responsible way of socializing with alcohol vs a sad caricature of a scene from Animal House.

Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2016, 06:30:15 PM »

This should be an automatic disqualifier, but in today's Republican party, this could very well still pass for 'moderate.'  It's hard to keep track of which pro-rape policies are and aren't acceptable, honestly.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2016, 06:37:24 PM »

This should be an automatic disqualifier, but in today's Republican party, this could very well still pass for 'moderate.'  It's hard to keep track of which pro-rape policies are and aren't acceptable, honestly.

From the "pro-rape" NIH...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/special-populations-co-occurring-disorders/underage-drinking

NIH scumbags... going to start getting all my health advice from anonymous teenagers on the web.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2016, 06:43:17 PM »

I think we found the guy who sleeps with passed out people at parties.  Nobody wants to read your misrepresentations.  You should be ashamed of yourself.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2016, 06:46:55 PM »

I think we found the guy who sleeps with passed out people at parties.  Nobody wants to read your misrepresentations.  You should be ashamed of yourself.
Schadenfreude?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2016, 06:47:57 PM »

Schadenfreude?

Yes.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2016, 06:48:07 PM »

Atlas, where Rape apologist and victim blamers reign supreme.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2016, 06:49:15 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2016, 06:51:28 PM by Schadenfreude »

Life is full of risks.  It is up to each individual to choose what risks they can/will tolerate.  Personally as a heterosexual male I've removed myself from several social situations over the years because I didn't like the scene nor the direction it was going.  I mean I know I have "muh rights" but I don't want to deal with the consequences of exercising each and every one of those rights 24/7.  I am not going to go out there an exercise "muh rights" to prove a point and end up arrest or killed.
I think we found the guy who sleeps with passed out people at parties.  Nobody wants to read your misrepresentations.  You should be ashamed of yourself.

If I honestly thought you believed the things you post I would say you have very deep and profound problems.  That is simply not how you debate an issue.  And considering you are defending a thread title which is an obvious lie perhaps you should get out of the business of accusing people of misrepresenting things.  I am a Democrat and I would never vote for Kasich but this thread is a travesty.  It started with a lie and went downhill from there.

If Kasich is so obviously wrong why not post the exchange in it's entirety and Kasich's actual words instead of a lie?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2016, 06:56:19 PM »

If he had said "don't get black out drunk" it would have been less offensive. Still politically dumb but not as offensive.

Don't go to parties with a lot of alcohol IS basically saying don't socialize. That's not a sad statement on society either. Alcohol is not illegal. It is not immoral. Most people use it responsibly or with little negative repercussion beyond feeling a little groggy the next day. There's no reason you should have to avoid merely being in its presence in order to avoid being violently sexually assaulted.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2016, 07:00:49 PM »

Life is full of risks.  It is up to each individual to choose what risks they can/will tolerate.  Personally as a heterosexual male I've removed myself from several social situations over the years because I didn't like the scene nor the direction it was going.  I mean I know I have "muh rights" but I don't want to deal with the consequences of exercising each and every one of those rights 24/7.  I am not going to go out there an exercise "muh rights" to prove a point and end up arrest or killed.

If I honestly thought you believed the things you post I would say you have very deep and profound problems.

You quoted NIH as though it were somehow the same thing as a presidential candidate giving a bit of friendly advice to rape victims to wear less revealing clothing.  Oh wait, I forgot we were talking about alcohol instead.

I have no desire to defend John Kasich from a largely accurate thread title to make some clueless MRA feel better about discourse on this forum.  You've made your bed, now you can sleep in it.  You sided with the rapists and it's pretty clear that you have a personal motivation for doing that.  Nothing you can say will exonerate you.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2016, 07:05:19 PM »

Life is full of risks.  It is up to each individual to choose what risks they can/will tolerate.  Personally as a heterosexual male I've removed myself from several social situations over the years because I didn't like the scene nor the direction it was going.  I mean I know I have "muh rights" but I don't want to deal with the consequences of exercising each and every one of those rights 24/7.  I am not going to go out there an exercise "muh rights" to prove a point and end up arrest or killed.

If I honestly thought you believed the things you post I would say you have very deep and profound problems.

You quoted NIH as though it were somehow the same thing as a presidential candidate giving a bit of friendly advice to rape victims to wear less revealing clothing.  Oh wait, I forgot we were talking about alcohol instead.

I have no desire to defend John Kasich from a largely accurate thread title to make some clueless MRA feel better about discourse on this forum.  You've made your bed, now you can sleep in it.  You sided with the rapists and it's pretty clear that you have a personal motivation for doing that.  Nothing you can say will exonerate you.

The anti-Kasich side was winning this argument on merit, there's no reason to accuse someone of being a rapist. Especially when it's clear he's not being pro-rape, he's just being pro-prude.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2016, 07:12:54 PM »

Especially when it's clear he's not being pro-rape, he's just being pro-prude.

Yes, he is giving off a rather puritanical vibe, but I don't recognize much of a meaningful distinction between the various 'blame the victim' lines of thought.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies