Kasich: Don't drink alcohol if you don't want to get raped
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:43:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Kasich: Don't drink alcohol if you don't want to get raped
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: Kasich: Don't drink alcohol if you don't want to get raped  (Read 10648 times)
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2016, 07:16:15 PM »

Life is full of risks.  It is up to each individual to choose what risks they can/will tolerate.  Personally as a heterosexual male I've removed myself from several social situations over the years because I didn't like the scene nor the direction it was going.  I mean I know I have "muh rights" but I don't want to deal with the consequences of exercising each and every one of those rights 24/7.  I am not going to go out there an exercise "muh rights" to prove a point and end up arrest or killed.
I think we found the guy who sleeps with passed out people at parties.  Nobody wants to read your misrepresentations.  You should be ashamed of yourself.

If I honestly thought you believed the things you post I would say you have very deep and profound problems.

You quoted NIH as though it were somehow the same thing as a presidential candidate giving a bit of friendly advice to rape victims to wear less revealing clothing.  Oh wait, I forgot we were talking about alcohol instead.

I have no desire to defend John Kasich from a largely accurate thread title to make some clueless MRA feel better about discourse on this forum.  You've made your bed, now you can sleep in it.  You sided with the rapists and it's pretty clear that you have a personal motivation for doing that.  Nothing you can say will exonerate you.

Please stop.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2016, 07:49:04 PM »

You should avoid parties with alcohol involved if you do not have people you trust around you. It is common sense. Sure, we should focus more on the men and women who sexually assault individuals. However, don't put yourself in bad situations because you are partially to blame

Going to a party with alcohol (which is all parties not sponsored by a Mosque or a Mormon temple) is not a "bad situation". That's what I find ridiculous about Kasich's statement.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2016, 07:55:39 PM »

The issue is very real for young women here.

http://www.aic.gov.au/media_library/publications/rpp/36/rpp036.pdf

Some statistics from Australia:

(a) In aboriginal communities, 40 per cent of rape incidents occur after the offender had been drinking alcohol or using drugs;

(b) 15% of Australian women have been sexually assaulted since age 15;

(c) For every 1,000 sexual assaults, it is estimated that only 25 successful prosecutions are realised.

(d) 0.012% of the Australian male population are in jail for sexual assault.

(e) Males in Victoria aged 33-39 are the 'most arrested' men for sexual assault in Australia with 0.59% of that age demographic having been charged with sexual crimes.

So out of 1,000 Victorian men aged between 33-39, 6 have been charged.

To be fair to Victorian men, NT and WA have the highest rates of imprisonment for crimes of a sexual nature.

So Kasich is on the money. With daughters, he would be very concerned.

PeteB
Canada

« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2016, 07:59:49 PM »

The issue is very real for young women here.

http://www.aic.gov.au/media_library/publications/rpp/36/rpp036.pdf

Some statistics from Australia:

(a) In aboriginal communities, 40 per cent of rape incidents occur after the offender had been drinking alcohol or using drugs;

(b) 15% of Australian women have been sexually assaulted since age 15;

(c) For every 1,000 sexual assaults, it is estimated that only 25 successful prosecutions are realised.

(d) 0.012% of the Australian male population are in jail for sexual assault.

(e) Males in Victoria aged 33-39 are the 'most arrested' men for sexual assault in Australia with 0.59% of that age demographic having been charged with sexual crimes.

So out of 1,000 Victorian men aged between 33-39, 6 have been charged.

To be fair to Victorian men, NT and WA have the highest rates of imprisonment for crimes of a sexual nature.

So Kasich is on the money. With daughters, he would be very concerned.

Here is some US statistics, courtesy of CNN:

Among female college students, 23% said they experienced some form of unwanted sexual contact -- ranging from kissing to touching to rape, carried out by force or threat of force, or while they were incapacitated because of alcohol and drugs, according to a 2015 survey by the Association of American Universities. Nearly 11% said the unwanted contact included penetration or oral sex.

Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2016, 08:05:56 PM »

Kasich, wrong on pretty much every issue out there. Why is this one any different?
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2016, 08:06:56 PM »

The thing is, we shouldn't just let rapists use the "Oh, I was drunk, she was drunk" excuse. That's immoral in a number of ways.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2016, 09:04:48 PM »

You should avoid parties with alcohol involved if you do not have people you trust around you. It is common sense. Sure, we should focus more on the men and women who sexually assault individuals. However, don't put yourself in bad situations because you are partially to blame

Going to a party with alcohol (which is all parties not sponsored by a Mosque or a Mormon temple) is not a "bad situation". That's what I find ridiculous about Kasich's statement.
I did not say that. I just merely said that you avoid parties with alcohol involved if you do not have people you trust around you. A party with alcohol (it really is not a party without it) is not inherently a bad thing or situation. However, it can be. Avoid putting yourself in these situations.

I just looked at the whole conversation.  What Kasich actually said included a description of all the preventive, advisory and aid measures against campus rape, examples of what is already being done in Ohio, and it was only at the end that he finished by giving this young lady some "fatherly" advice about drinking and partying, in response to her direct question about how to avoid it. It was pretty obviously done with the best intentions and it was also received in that fashion - the students in attendance gave him a big round of applause. I would have given my daughter the same advice and Kasich's only "mistake" was that I was not his kin and that cameras were running. It only shows he is human.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2016, 09:07:43 PM »

Maybe we just shouldn't give kids this sort of common sense advice and let them find out the hard way.  Is that what you want?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2016, 11:21:20 PM »

Maybe we just shouldn't give kids this sort of common sense advice and let them find out the hard way.  Is that what you want?
Another pro-prude!!!
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2016, 11:58:03 PM »

Victim blaming. Why am I not surprised.

So the party that preaches about taking personal responsibility now wants to claim that if you go to a party where OTHERS are drinking and something bad happens to you because of the people who were drinking, it's YOUR fault for being there in the first place. In other words, you were asking for it. 

I really don't get the Republican fascination with rape: legitimate rape, forcible rape, date rape. Maybe it's because most of them have so many problems getting laid, I don't know.

Fact of the matter is that not everyone who drinks turns into a rapist, so the Republican hacks on here defending the "moderate hero" Kasich's comments by blaming the alcohol is a copout. You're giving rapists an excuse for their criminal behavior: the booze made me do it! "She should have known that alcohol turns horny frat boys into rapists, so it's her fault for being at our party!"

This is strange to me seeing as how they never blame guns when a mass shooting occurs, it's always the typical NRA mantra, "Guns don't kill people, people kill people." Hey Republicans, "Alcohol doesn't rape people, people rape people."

Way to work on that outreach to the female vote, though!
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2016, 12:03:40 AM »

Victim blaming. Why am I not surprised.

So the party that preaches about taking personal responsibility now wants to claim that if you go to a party where OTHERS are drinking and something bad happens to you because of the people who were drinking, it's YOUR fault for being there in the first place. In other words, you were asking for it. 

I really don't get the Republican fascination with rape: legitimate rape, forcible rape, date rape. Maybe it's because most of them have so many problems getting laid, I don't know.

Fact of the matter is that not everyone who drinks turns into a rapist, so the Republican hacks on here defending the "moderate hero" Kasich's comments by blaming the alcohol is a copout. You're giving rapists an excuse for their criminal behavior: the booze made me do it! "She should have known that alcohol turns horny frat boys into rapists, so it's her fault for being at our party!"

This is strange to me seeing as how they never blame guns when a mass shooting occurs, it's always the typical NRA mantra, "Guns don't kill people, people kill people." Hey Republicans, "Alcohol doesn't rape people, people rape people."

Way to work on that outreach to the female vote, though!

It's the democrats who are fascinated with rape.  Why do you want so hard to believe that we are blaming the victim?  Who is blaming anyone?  All Kasich or anyone in this thread has done is give good, common sense advice for how to avoid danger.  You are the one making the leap to blaming the girl for getting raped because she didn't take our advice.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2016, 05:54:48 AM »

...and Atlas posters are still defending Kasich. Why am I not surprised?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2016, 06:22:10 AM »

Maybe because he never said "Don't drink alcohol if you don't want to get raped". The OP is lying about that because he supports Hillary Clinton. He didn't even post the link of his source, which should have made you suspicious.

Maybe because I read the article and I'm upset by what he actually said.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2016, 07:08:24 AM »

You neckbeards are terrible.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2016, 07:10:08 AM »

Don't go to parties with a lot of alcohol IS basically saying don't socialize. That's not a sad statement on society either. Alcohol is not illegal.

Actually, it is most likely illegal for the young woman Kasich was talking to.  She said that she's a first year college student, so is most likely under 21.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2016, 08:39:39 AM »

Maybe because he never said "Don't drink alcohol if you don't want to get raped". The OP is lying ....
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2016, 08:42:14 AM »

Maybe because he never said "Don't drink alcohol if you don't want to get raped". The OP is lying ....

All you can think of is repeating a quote I already responded to?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2016, 08:43:31 AM »

All you can think of is repeating a quote I already responded to?

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2016, 09:28:49 AM »

Imagine if someone asked a candidate what they would do about terrorism, and they said "I have one bit of advice: avoid major cities, and don't fly on airplanes unless you absolutely have to."

Now do you understand what's wrong with this?

(As an aside, I just noticed that Kasich used the word "coeds" to refer to female college students. I didn't know anyone still used that word in that sense.)
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2016, 09:32:55 AM »

If we could ban alcohol, 95% of all crime would instantly disappear, I would wager!!

Prohibition didn't accomplish that, nor has our current War on Drugs.

I do agree with your assertion, however, if it were about alcoholic beverages suddenly ceasing to exist in the world. 
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2016, 09:35:05 AM »

I go to parties where there are gay guys, and don't expect to get raped merely because they've had a beer or I've had a beer. The same logic should apply to women tbh
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2016, 09:38:27 AM »

Imagine if someone asked a candidate what they would do about terrorism, and they said "I have one bit of advice: avoid major cities, and don't fly on airplanes unless you absolutely have to."

(As an aside, I just noticed that Kasich used the word "coeds" to refer to female college students. I didn't know anyone still used that word in that sense.)
I understand your argument is fallacious
and what does that say about your (identical) argument?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2016, 09:44:06 AM »

Don't go to parties with a lot of alcohol IS basically saying don't socialize. That's not a sad statement on society either. Alcohol is not illegal.

Actually, it is most likely illegal for the young woman Kasich was talking to.  She said that she's a first year college student, so is most likely under 21.

That's true (and often overlooked) but it will only be true for her for another 2-3 years at most, and I think Kasich was talking about college drinking parties in general, not just ones where people are underage, based on the context.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2016, 10:04:02 AM »

I understand your argument is fallacious
and what does that say about your (identical) argument?
My argument isnt identical. Your comparison is fallacious
do explain what you think the difference is
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2016, 10:31:41 AM »

That's true (and often overlooked) but it will only be true for her for another 2-3 years at most, and I think Kasich was talking about college drinking parties in general, not just ones where people are underage, based on the context.

So, 99.9% of college parties? Got it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies