Kasich: Don't drink alcohol if you don't want to get raped
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:57:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Kasich: Don't drink alcohol if you don't want to get raped
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: Kasich: Don't drink alcohol if you don't want to get raped  (Read 10658 times)
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2016, 10:56:55 AM »

Imagine if someone asked a candidate what they would do about terrorism, and they said "I have one bit of advice: avoid major cities, and don't fly on airplanes unless you absolutely have to."

Now do you understand what's wrong with this?

(As an aside, I just noticed that Kasich used the word "coeds" to refer to female college students. I didn't know anyone still used that word in that sense.)
I understand your argument is fallacious
and what does that say about your (identical) argument?
My argument isnt identical. Your comparison is fallacious
do explain what you think the difference is

I can explain.
Wild, drunken, underage college parties are well known to be dangerous and places where sexual assaul, violence, drug abuse, and other crimes occur at a significantly higher rate.  Furthermore, from Kasich's perspective as a concerned adult at least, there's no real unique benefit to going to these parties.
Going to major cities and flying on airplanes will not put you at a significantly higher risk of terrorism because terrorism is so low in the first place.  Additionally there are obvious benefits to doing those things, so the marginal cost of not going to them far exceeds the risk taken by the minutely higher risk of terrorism.  So it's not good advice.
A better analogy would be "I have one bit of advice:  Don't go to Somalia or the Afghan/Pakistan border unless you absolutely have to"
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2016, 11:10:29 AM »

This thread needs to be killed with fire
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2016, 11:18:52 AM »

Hey, we're all just playing our part to find out who the crazy posters are Smiley
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2016, 11:21:02 AM »
« Edited: April 16, 2016, 11:35:24 PM by pbrower2a »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

True. But there need be alternatives to attending wild, drunken parties while underage for drinking. Maybe more sedate, alcohol-free events?

I was 18 when the legal age for drinking was 18. But I knew how to drink -- nurse a drink for two hours and get another, starting at 5PM.  The drinks were likely watered down, anyway. But we college students had little tolerance for assault, violence, ugly language, or drugs (marijuana excepted). But we were college students.

But even if one is drinking age -- it would be wise to avoid wild, drunken parties, or for that matter, very rough bars.

Others didn't bother with the two-hours-between-drinks rule. They got sick.

Good. Paris is still a good tourist destination even if Tokyo is safer.

Or Syria. Or Iraq. Or Colombia. Or Venezuela.

As far as that goes, Detroit or St. Louis unless you really know where you are going.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2016, 11:25:59 AM »

Or Syria. Or Iraq. Or Colombia. Or Venezuela.

As far as that goes, Detroit or St. Louis unless you really know where you are going.

What if you are running for president, and need to use Detroit or St. Louis as an air hub?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2016, 11:37:35 AM »

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2016, 12:11:08 PM »

Imagine if someone asked a candidate what they would do about terrorism, and they said "I have one bit of advice: avoid major cities, and don't fly on airplanes unless you absolutely have to."

(As an aside, I just noticed that Kasich used the word "coeds" to refer to female college students. I didn't know anyone still used that word in that sense.)
I understand your argument is fallacious
and what does that say about your (identical) argument?
My argument isnt identical. Your comparison is fallacious
do explain what you think the difference is

I can explain.
Wild, drunken, underage college parties are well known to be dangerous and places where sexual assaul, violence, drug abuse, and other crimes occur at a significantly higher rate.  Furthermore, from Kasich's perspective as a concerned adult at least, there's no real unique benefit to going to these parties.
Going to major cities and flying on airplanes will not put you at a significantly higher risk of terrorism because terrorism is so low in the first place.  Additionally there are obvious benefits to doing those things, so the marginal cost of not going to them far exceeds the risk taken by the minutely higher risk of terrorism.  So it's not good advice.
A better analogy would be "I have one bit of advice:  Don't go to Somalia or the Afghan/Pakistan border unless you absolutely have to"

Somalia, Afghanistan, and Pakistan aren't part of the United States, so there's a limited number of things that the US Government can do about them.

Maybe a better analogy would be this: "What do you plan on doing about the crime that's common in some parts of the US?" "I have one bit of advice: Stay away from East St. Louis."
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2016, 12:21:16 PM »

After reading this thread to the end, I can only conclude that one (or both) of these two must be true:

1. Atlas posters are very passionate about their parties and alcohol

OR

2. Kasich is finally being viewed as a real threat by his opponents in both parties
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2016, 12:25:23 PM »

After reading this thread to the end, I can only conclude that one (or both) of these two must be true:

OR

2. Kasich is finally being viewed as a real threat by his opponents in both parties

I hate alcohol and I don't think Kasich is going anywhere. I'm just not a misogynist victim blamer like TNVolunteer.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2016, 12:31:51 PM »

I hate alcohol and I don't think Kasich is going anywhere. I'm just not a misogynist victim blamer like TNVolunteer.

Where and when have I said that the victim is to blame for the rape?

It's more that you (and Kasich) are implying that the way to deal with the problem of rape is by giving advice to the potential victims, rather than trying to stopping the rapists themselves.

Also you're just a misogynist in general.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2016, 12:36:42 PM »

Where and when have I said that the victim is to blame for the rape? It's also pretty hilarious when a CLINTON supporter accuses you of misogyny lol.

I'm not a Clinton supporter, at least in the primary. Huh
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2016, 01:06:48 PM »

It's more that you (and Kasich) are implying that the way to deal with the problem of rape is by giving advice to the potential victims, rather than trying to stopping the rapists themselves.

So you're basically just lying? You said that I blamed the victim for the rape, which I never did.  You can argue about whether Kasich's advice was appropriate or not, but it certainly wasn't badly intentioned or meant to insult the victim. If you're convinced that there is a way to stop rapists and other criminals, feel free to tell us. (But at the same time, you will probably criticize Republicans for being TOO TOUGH ON CRIME!!1!)

Well, I have to admit that I'll never be the women's right champion that Bill Clinton is. Smiley

I was being a bit hyperbolic, sure. Where are you getting this idea that I'm a fan of Bill Clinton? Huh
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2016, 01:12:46 PM »

Nothing he said is wrong. Alcohol parties are dangerous and really it is stupid for a teenage girl to go, especially alone. That isnt saying it is here fault if things happen, but if you want to be safe it is foolish to put yourself in such obvious danger.

If a woman going to a party is "putting herself in obvious danger" then there is something pretty fcked up about your party culture.

If walking down the street meant you got shot with high probability you'd probably talk more about street safety.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2016, 01:20:38 PM »

Where and when have I said that the victim is to blame for the rape?

Also you're just a misogynist in general.

Since when is giving advice to potential victims a bad thing, and how does that make you a victim blamer.
We have DARE to teach kids to avoid drugs and self-defense classes for women to avoid getting assaulted or raped.  When I was a kid we had the stranger danger program and were told to look both ways before crossing the street.  I guess America is just full of people who blame the victim when kids take drugs, get kidnapped by strangers and are run over by cars.

Somalia, Afghanistan, and Pakistan aren't part of the United States, so there's a limited number of things that the US Government can do about them.

Maybe a better analogy would be this: "What do you plan on doing about the crime that's common in some parts of the US?" "I have one bit of advice: Stay away from East St. Louis."

Except he didn't just give that advice.  He also did what you seem to want, which is he talked about how the Ohio state government has taken several steps to ensure that the legal process protects women at colleges.  It would more be like "we're doing X Y and Z to try to bring crime down, especially in the bad areas of town.  For your own safety, though, I would still advise you to stay out of East St. Louis after dark."

Nothing he said is wrong. Alcohol parties are dangerous and really it is stupid for a teenage girl to go, especially alone. That isnt saying it is here fault if things happen, but if you want to be safe it is foolish to put yourself in such obvious danger.

If a woman going to a party is "putting herself in obvious danger" then there is something pretty fcked up about your party culture.

If walking down the street meant you got shot with high probability you'd probably talk more about street safety.

True, a fact that's not really relevant to this conversation is that college parties aren't actually particularly dangerous and rape statistics on college campuses are a yellow journalism cottage industry these days.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2016, 01:25:07 PM »

OR

I'm not a frequent alcohol user in the slightest, and Kasich isn't winning. I wouldn't argue that Kasich was intentionally victim blaming, but you have to admit, it wasn't the most tactful thing to say. Of course, getting drunk has its risks, but when that's your response to a question about sexual assault, you can easily come across as patronizing.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2016, 01:58:20 PM »

Well it comes across as a bit worse than merely patronising doesn't it; the implication is that the victim was asking for it. Which is a disgusting sentiment.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2016, 02:03:41 PM »

Well it comes across as a bit worse than merely patronising doesn't it; the implication is that the victim was asking for it. Which is a disgusting sentiment.

It's only in your twisted mind that that's the implication, what a shame.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2016, 04:14:01 PM »

White men on Atlas continue to have misguided (at best) to sexist (at worst) views on women and rape culture. News at 11. 
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2016, 04:41:11 PM »

the idea that lots of people in this thread have of men is really quite concerning; the idea that women need to lock themselves away because every man turns into a potential rapist once he's had a pint of mild is frankly a baffling one. 

I'm from a country where the drinking age is 18 and where it is expected that most people will probably regularly drink from then.  The first two years I was in uni I was pretty much a a party or in some pub or dodgy club every week (bar if easy hand-ins or exams got in the way, I wasn't that bad a student) and neither my friends nor I ever put themselves in that position: mostly because we all knew that making sure that the person that you're doing things with is OK with that before you start and while you're doing it is the most sensible thing to do.  The best way of tackling things like that isn't by locking up your daughters or banning alcohol (lol if you think that will solve anything, all that would do is make the people that traffic it very rich while you criminalise folk who like a pint after work or other low-intake drinkers); its by actually educating young people about consent and what it exactly means; may it be sex-ed in schools, or by information campaigns in unis or whatever.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2016, 04:42:53 PM »

the idea that lots of people in this thread have of men is really quite concerning; the idea that women need to lock themselves away because every man turns into a potential rapist once he's had a pint of mild is frankly a baffling one. 

/r/therealmisandry in action
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #120 on: April 16, 2016, 04:53:33 PM »

To those thick-skulled posters trying to spin it as some sort of innocent remarks: he was basically saying "oh well, women who get drunk on the parties can only blame themselves if raped". Even if it wasn't intentional, it's still offensive, disguisting and, frankly speaking, only shows he's a moron with no intellectual capacity to be a dogcatcher.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #121 on: April 16, 2016, 04:58:31 PM »

What if a major candidate said, "If you don't want to get your head cut off, don't travel to countries where ISIS is in control."?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2016, 05:04:44 PM »

Seriously though, mods pls lock.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2016, 05:09:12 PM »

What if a major candidate said, "If you don't want to get your head cut off, don't travel to countries where ISIS is in control."?

This bastardized travel analogy is cute, but utterly disanalogous to what is being discussed. If Kasich said: "don't go to the frat house full of known rapists that rape everyone who come through the door but hasn't been shut down by the cops for some reason", it might be valid.  
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2016, 05:39:01 PM »

Hi, foreigner.  I've never been to your country.  So I take your word for it you guys only have one kind of party over there.  Here in America we literally have an infinite variety of parties and yes the culture surrounding some of those parties is "pretty fcked up" as you put it.  It got lost in all this ridiculous noise but that really is the point.  Heroin parties might be cool and safe for small children in your wonderful country but here in America they are frowned upon as are certain other categories of parties.  Ice cream parties and wine tastings are much more accepted over here and according to scientific data are less rapey.

I totally get that you don't know anything about our country, but what I find bizarre is your incessant need to comment on it.

Kasich was referring to a particular kind of ILLEGAL party and just paraphrased the NIH and multiple city and state ordinances and advised the young lady who asked, to steer clear.  It is pretty normal for someone running for the job of chief law enforcement officer of the land to advise minors to follow the law in this country.  I realize it may be different where you live.

http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/special-populations-co-occurring-disorders/underage-drinking

I'm curious does anyone on this forum think Hilary Clinton or Obama would advise there 18 year old daughter to go to a frat party with excessive underage drinking?!  Is Kasich's advice to this woman and to his own daughters different than what Hilary Clinton or Obama would say?  I mean I don't know what W Bush said to his daughters but we all know how that turned out.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/washdc/2001-05-31-bushdaughters.htm

Or is it you just prefer politicians to say one thing behind closed doors to their daughters and say the exact opposite thing to your daughter's face when she needs advice?  Is that what the Atlas hair on fire crowd wants?  Politicians to lie to our daughters?

Don't go to parties with a lot of alcohol IS basically saying don't socialize.

They have a lot of alcohol at wine tastings.  You honestly think he was telling 30 year old female advertising executives in NYC not to go to wine tastings with their physician/lawyer/investment banker boyfriends?  Or perhaps you want to take another crack at that... this time in context?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies