Kasich: Don't drink alcohol if you don't want to get raped
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:08:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Kasich: Don't drink alcohol if you don't want to get raped
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: Kasich: Don't drink alcohol if you don't want to get raped  (Read 10649 times)
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2016, 05:40:10 PM »

It's time to burn this thread.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #126 on: April 16, 2016, 06:10:22 PM »

Fact: this is the best thread on the 2016 board in several months not made by Aizen.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #127 on: April 16, 2016, 06:29:42 PM »

Fact: this is the best thread on the 2016 board in several months not made by Aizen.

Says the maker of the thread. Tongue

(Not that I disagree.  The opinions here are, err, interesting.)
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2016, 06:36:21 PM »

So, basically, Kasich gave a perfectly logical answer to the question asked, and then, as an afterthought, added one line of advice not to attend parties where there's a lot of alcohol (I mean, how many parents have given this advice to their daughters? Hell, my Mum advised me against this, and I'm a guy), which, you know, is perhaps a bit bluntly worded, but nonetheless expresses the fundamental truth that drunken parties are not always safe for women, because, regrettably, some men do take advantage of women who aren't in the most sober of states. That doesn't add up to condoning rape and 'victim blaming'. Of course, it would be wonderful if all men respected the wishes of women, but the fact is, some don't, either because they don't care or because they're utterly smashed. No amount of 'consent training' (which, by the way, I somewhat favour) is going to end the problem of rape, which will always be with us just like murder and theft. Advising people to be cautious is not the same thing as blaming them if they actually do find themselves in the position of having been raped.

Maybe Kasich should have replaced the word 'avoid' with 'be careful at'. Other than that, it's hardly enough evidence to tag him as some woman hating, rape supporting, basement dwelling neckbeard.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2016, 06:59:33 PM »

mds32
United States

« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2016, 07:00:44 PM »

What a horrible thread.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2016, 07:01:02 PM »

We can't have a civil discussion about a pivotal moment of the campaign? Keep your free speech hatred in France, you commie. Wink
Nathan Towne
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.03, S: -3.13

« Reply #132 on: April 16, 2016, 07:12:12 PM »

You are heinously distorting what Kasich said. He was simply advising that young people, teenagers for example, do not drink underage and was stating that it is important that people make good decisions. To utilize what he said for political capital purposes is pathetic and revolting.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2016, 07:22:48 PM »

You are heinously distorting what Kasich said. He was simply advising that young people, teenagers for example, do not drink underage and was stating that it is important that people make good decisions. To utilize what he said for political capital purposes is pathetic and revolting.

"Political capital" as if I'm influencing the votes of people on uselectionatlas.org...yes. CNN is the one who said it.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #134 on: April 16, 2016, 07:51:56 PM »

Eh, it's clearly trolling. At least I hope it's trolling. I hope smilo hasn't gone so far down the PC wormhole that he really believes this is blaming the victims.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #135 on: April 16, 2016, 11:38:08 PM »

I hate alcohol and I don't think Kasich is going anywhere. I'm just not a misogynist victim blamer like TNVolunteer.

Where and when have I said that the victim is to blame for the rape?

It's more that you (and Kasich) are implying that the way to deal with the problem of rape is by giving advice to the potential victims, rather than trying to stopping the rapists themselves.

Also you're just a misogynist in general.

Keeping potential victims away from people who seem like likely rapists and from behaviors with a high likelihood of getting raped (like getting drunk or using drugs) is a good personal strategy.
dax00

« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2016, 02:19:23 AM »

We cannot absolve guilty persons of agency, nor should we demonize their devices. There will always be someone with less than kindly intentions around, regardless of the situation. This is not an excuse to place blame wantonly. To perceive actual threat at one of these parties is to show ageist/misandrist/ignorant belief. It is disingenuous to caution one's daughters against them, skewed to assume the stereotypic young man is up to no good. Ignorance is more forgivable.

P.S. I took none of the Kasich supporters seriously in this thread due to obvious bias.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #137 on: April 17, 2016, 06:26:01 AM »

We cannot absolve guilty persons of agency, nor should we demonize their devices. There will always be someone with less than kindly intentions around, regardless of the situation. This is not an excuse to place blame wantonly. To perceive actual threat at one of these parties is to show ageist/misandrist/ignorant belief. It is disingenuous to caution one's daughters against them, skewed to assume the stereotypic young man is up to no good. Ignorance is more forgivable.

P.S. I took none of the Kasich supporters seriously in this thread due to obvious bias.

Alcohol is a simple chemical with complicated effects on mental activity. It makes some people more vicious or unscrupulous, and some people more vulnerable. It can become for all practical purposes a date-rape drug.  For someone fully adult, alcohol is a mild drug. For someone not adult, alcohol is a very hard drug.

A man trying to get a girl drunk so that she will accede to his lust is up to no good.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #138 on: April 17, 2016, 06:28:53 AM »

This is an awful thread
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #139 on: April 17, 2016, 07:06:30 AM »

welcome to atlas ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #140 on: April 17, 2016, 08:01:38 AM »
« Edited: April 17, 2016, 08:06:09 AM by Cassius »

I think you'd probably find the response of 'ordinary society' to this thread even less to your liking.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #141 on: April 17, 2016, 12:23:18 PM »

If a woman going to a party is "putting herself in obvious danger" then there is something pretty fcked up about your party culture.

Hi, foreigner.  I've never been to your country.  So I take your word for it you guys only have one kind of party over there.  Here in America we literally have an infinite variety of parties and yes the culture surrounding some of those parties is "pretty fcked up" as you put it.  It got lost in all this ridiculous noise but that really is the point.  Heroin parties might be cool and safe for small children in your wonderful country but here in America they are frowned upon as are certain other categories of parties.  Ice cream parties and wine tastings are much more accepted over here and according to scientific data are less rapey.

I totally get that you don't know anything about our country, but what I find bizarre is your incessant need to comment on it.

Kasich was referring to a particular kind of ILLEGAL party and just paraphrased the NIH and multiple city and state ordinances and advised the young lady who asked, to steer clear.  It is pretty normal for someone running for the job of chief law enforcement officer of the land to advise minors to follow the law in this country.  I realize it may be different where you live.

That's cute. So, first of all I was using the third-person you. As in, if a party is such that it is dangerous to be there for a woman then there is something wrong with the party. There are different types of parties in any country, this rule applies in general.

According to scientific data, most rapes have nothing to do with parties. They are primarily driven by predatory behavior, as most women are raped by men they know and trust.

I seem to know more about your country and its issues with sexual violence than you do, sadly.

I don't think it is illegal for college students to attend parties and it most certainly shouldn't be.

You are correct that Sweden is more progressive than the US and that more progressive attitudes can help rectify some of these issues. It is unfortunately not true that this has ridden us of issues concerning rape.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #142 on: April 17, 2016, 12:29:39 PM »

You should avoid parties with alcohol involved if you do not have people you trust around you. It is common sense. Sure, we should focus more on the men and women who sexually assault individuals. However, don't put yourself in bad situations because you are partially to blame

Going to a party with alcohol (which is all parties not sponsored by a Mosque or a Mormon temple) is not a "bad situation". That's what I find ridiculous about Kasich's statement.
I did not say that. I just merely said that you avoid parties with alcohol involved if you do not have people you trust around you. A party with alcohol (it really is not a party without it) is not inherently a bad thing or situation. However, it can be. Avoid putting yourself in these situations.

God, you're thick. Whether you can trust someone is hard to know in advance. That's why so many people end up being raped by partners or friends. Secondly, people don't become untrustworthy because you're drunk. These untrustworthy people can be around you all the same.

You're saying women shouldn't go to parties unless they wanna risk being raped. You should take a moment to consider what an awful person you are.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #143 on: April 17, 2016, 12:47:16 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2016, 12:50:51 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

"Governor Kasich, how do you propose to reduce the number of police officers who are murdered each year?"

"Gee wilikers guys, is this issue really that complex? If cops remained indoors at all hours, no cops would be murdered. Also, I hear that they try to handcuff dangerous murderers and try to lock them up for life? Yeah, they should stop doing that, that's a great way to be murdered at some point. Problem solved!!"
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #144 on: April 17, 2016, 01:06:37 PM »

There is the old adage of how hearsay becomes the perceived truth and some people obviously subscribe to it. They are hoping to keep this thread going and get to a point where they can eventually claim that Kasich said:

1. Once I am President, we will have Prohibition and
2. All women (especially students) consciously invite rapists and should wear chastity belts and be barred from parties

Good luck with that!
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #145 on: April 17, 2016, 05:19:37 PM »

According to scientific data, most rapes have nothing to do with parties.

I'm not even going to justify that strawman with a response.

According to scientific data, most rapes have nothing to do with parties. They are primarily driven by predatory behavior, as most women are raped by men they know and trust.

Unlike you I posted scientific data from the NIH in its entirety with a link for all to read and verify for themselves.  Your use of the phrase "know and trust" is just the sort of tactic anonymous people use on internet forums to try and sound scientific.  In some studies I've read "know" could simply mean the person is in their freshman calculus class and they know the person's name and face.  In others it means their freaking husband.  I don't think this underaged college student was asking Kasich that question because she was afraid her husband was going to rape her.  And I don't think she was asking that question because she was afraid her scum bag uncle who's been fingerb@nging her since she was 8 was going to pay her a visit in her dorm room.

You are correct that Sweden is more progressive than the US and that more progressive attitudes can help rectify some of these issues.

I never said that.  There are numerous things which I think factor into the issues on US college campuses that go far beyond rape.  Our lack of affordable functional public transportation and walkable cities contributes to numerous deaths from drunk driving.  Sweden also has much stricter drunk driving laws.  They are in fact unconstitutional by American standards.  And there are cultural factors that I personally think factor in.

I seem to know more about your country and its issues with sexual violence than you do, sadly.

If I honestly thought you believed that I would tell you to get help regarding narcissism.

Here's the bottom line folks the young lady in question asked what this guy was going to do as president about her concerns regarding rape amongst college students.  This thread is very telling.  The hair of fire crowd had a good ol' time calling everyone rapists but it painfully obvious they have even less advice and solutions than Kasich.  And Kasich has about as much advice and solutions as Bernie, Hilary, and Obama.  If there was some quick easy solution someone would have proposed it by now.  Obama has been president for 8 years.  What has he done about it?  What has the candidate you are backing done about it?  What is your solution that is so much better than the advice of the "pro-rape" crowd?  And you think your solution is really going to move the needle?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #146 on: April 17, 2016, 06:44:19 PM »

Look Link no one liked you the first time around and no one does now. So do everyone a favour and fyck back off to whatever redpill dungeon you crawled out of.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #147 on: April 17, 2016, 07:47:15 PM »

I don't think it is illegal for college students to attend parties and it most certainly shouldn't be.

It's quite common for colleges here to bar alcohol from any school-related activity and for student honor codes to call for students to not partake of alcohol or drugs on campus.  So while not technically illegal, students can face sanctions for being at a party with alcohol present.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #148 on: April 17, 2016, 08:05:11 PM »

A lot of republican poster's comments in this thread are appalling. As someone who enjoys to drink (a lot), and someone who likes parties I think Kasich's comments are horrendous.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #149 on: April 17, 2016, 10:19:16 PM »

It's quite common for colleges here to bar alcohol from any school-related activity and for student honor codes to call for students to not partake of alcohol or drugs on campus.
When I was in business school, there was basically no activity, including school-sponsored ones, that didn't involve drinking. Cheesy (the youngest students in the program were 24 at admission)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies