As impressive as Kasich's NY-12 win may be...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:35:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  As impressive as Kasich's NY-12 win may be...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: As impressive as Kasich's NY-12 win may be...  (Read 906 times)
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2016, 07:11:32 AM »

... He still has two problems. The first problem is that he still cannot win the regular way, i.e. racking enough delegates. The second problem is he still has less delegates than Marco Rubio even a month after Rubio dropped out. The Gosh Darn Diddly Man is still SOL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_presidential_primaries,_2016

PeteB
Canada

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 07:26:16 AM »

After NY, both Kasich and Cruz can not reach the required 1,237, before the convention. So, voters can actually vote for the one whom they like.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 07:31:13 AM »

After NY, both Kasich and Cruz can not reach the required 1,237, before the convention. So, voters can actually vote for the one whom they like.

Well, except in winner-take-all places.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 07:54:07 AM »

I'm betting that the rules will be changed to let every candidate with delegates have their names placed into nomination if Trump doesn't reach 1,237. 
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 08:16:35 AM »

Still funny all the people who thought Cruz was going to be a strong second in NY.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 08:18:10 AM »

Still funny all the people who thought Cruz was going to be a strong second in NY.

Just imaging how Trump would have done in Texas if he had suggested that "Even the A--h---s are bigger in Texas."  That's how offensive Cruz's statement was.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 08:21:14 AM »

Doesn't matter. John the Delusional won't get the memo.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 08:21:50 AM »

Just imaging how Trump would have done in Texas if he had suggested that "Even the A--h---s are bigger in Texas."  That's how offensive Cruz's statement was.

He would have my vote. The a-holes are bigger here. Wink
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 08:22:06 AM »

I think they would have embraced that one
sportydude

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 08:43:50 AM »

Since we talked about how Clinton could care less...

The second problem is he still has less fewer delegates than Marco Rubio even a month after Rubio dropped out.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 09:30:14 AM »

I'm betting that the rules will be changed to let every candidate with delegates have their names placed into nomination if Trump doesn't reach 1,237. 

That would be unnecessary because your name doesn't need to be placed into nomination to get votes under present rules.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 09:36:48 AM »

That would be unnecessary because your name doesn't need to be placed into nomination to get votes under present rules.

Actually, I would agree with Fuzzy Bear here.  If Trump is short of 1,237, it would be smart tactics to allow everyone on the ballot, rather than making the first ballot Trump-Cruz vote into a pro or anti Trump choice.  With Manafort shepherding this, I am positive that it will indeed happen, so expect not only Kasich nominated, but possibly Carson, Rubio, even Bush.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 01:17:06 PM »

Actually, I would agree with Fuzzy Bear here.  If Trump is short of 1,237, it would be smart tactics to allow everyone on the ballot, rather than making the first ballot Trump-Cruz vote into a pro or anti Trump choice.  With Manafort shepherding this, I am positive that it will indeed happen, so expect not only Kasich nominated, but possibly Carson, Rubio, even Bush.

Thing is, the Rules Committee is likely to be chock-full of Cruz supporters who will be inclined to listen to Manafort and then do the opposite of what he wants. At best for the trumpies, it'll be too deadlocked to change anything.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 01:29:15 PM »

Thing is, the Rules Committee is likely to be chock-full of Cruz supporters who will be inclined to listen to Manafort and then do the opposite of what he wants. At best for the trumpies, it'll be too deadlocked to change anything.

I don't disagree with you that something like that can happen. But if both Trump and Kasich want this and they jointly have a majority of delegates, we could see an open vote, before the first ballot, to overturn the Rules Committee decision.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 01:38:08 PM »

Most Rubio/Kasich delegates are still bound to them on the first ballot, regardless of the fate of Rule 40.

The only states where it would make a difference are MN, OK, NH and VT.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2016, 01:48:39 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Dahling we don't exactly get the vapors ovah heah. Wink
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2016, 02:38:42 PM »

Proud to be a member of the lone anti-Trump district. (Never thought I'd be proud of my Republican neighbors' voting!)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies