What percentage of the Jewish vote with Bernie get in NY? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:10:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  What percentage of the Jewish vote with Bernie get in NY? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: skip
<10%

10-20%

21-30%

31-40%

41-50%

51-60%

61-70%

>75%

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: What percentage of the Jewish vote with Bernie get in NY?  (Read 2574 times)
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« on: April 16, 2016, 07:34:55 PM »

I have anecdotely noticed a subset of younger religious Jews who tend to also be politically progressive and supportive of Palestinian rights. Don't know how significant that is but I don't think that more religious automatically translates into more politically conservative in the Jewish community since if you are social justice oriented and pay attention to Jewish issues as regards Palestine you probably aren't going to take the hardline Zionist view. At the same time a lot of reform or secular Jews think that slavish support for Israel is the highest form of Judaism.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 07:56:26 PM »

I have anecdotely noticed a subset of younger religious Jews who tend to also be politically progressive and supportive of Palestinian rights. Don't know how significant that is but I don't think that more religious automatically translates into more politically conservative in the Jewish community since if you are social justice oriented and pay attention to Jewish issues as regards Palestine you probably aren't going to take the hardline Zionist view. At the same time a lot of reform or secular Jews think that slavish support for Israel is the highest form of Judaism.

What do you mean by "religious Jews"? 

It's not automatic but it's certainly true that overall religious Jews have more hard-line Zionist views.

Younger non-Orthodox Jews are more liberal than older generations, but this is counterbalanced by the larger share of the younger population that is Orthodox.

Of course there are exceptions.  Peter Beinart belongs to an Orthodox synagogue in Manhattan, although he doesn't say he is Orthodox himself. 

The people I was thinking of I think tended to be conservative (though obviously not politically) moreso then orthodox.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies