Trump gets obliterated by Cruz forces in Georgia's District Conventions (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:58:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump gets obliterated by Cruz forces in Georgia's District Conventions (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump gets obliterated by Cruz forces in Georgia's District Conventions  (Read 3719 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: April 17, 2016, 11:09:40 AM »

As much as I dislike Trump, this is truly disguisting.

I have to agree. The voters are choosing Trump; they should let him have the nomination.

"The voters are choosing Trump."  Except that not a single state that's voted so far has seen a majority of voters support him.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 07:57:57 AM »

As much as I dislike Trump, this is truly disguisting.

I have to agree. The voters are choosing Trump; they should let him have the nomination.

"The voters are choosing Trump."  Except that not a single state that's voted so far has seen a majority of voters support him.

It would be great if we had some sort of IRV system or runoff or something like that. Unfortunately we don't, so the only candidate who can really be argued to have a democratic mandate is Donald Trump.

I’d say none of them have a democratic mandate.  But if we’re talking about potential arguments for a democratic mandate, you could say that the 3rd, 4th, 5th etc. place candidates represent the people who they voted for, so if enough of them endorse the candidate who came in 2nd that would be good enough.  That is, since Cruz + Kasich + Rubio collectively got a majority of the votes, would Kasich and Rubio endorsing Cruz grant him more legitimacy, especially if one of them joins him on the ticket?

Or what if there were no ninja delegates, but just regular Kasich and Rubio delegates shifting to Cruz?  Seems like in that case, there’s nothing nefarious going on.  No one has a majority of delegates, so the losing candidates’ delegates are swayed over to back one of the top contenders.  It’s the ninja delegate thing that makes it look sketchy, IMHO.  If the candidates picked their own delegates, they’d have an easier time selling the process to skeptics.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies