Does Kasich collapse if Cruz beats him in New York?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:34:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Does Kasich collapse if Cruz beats him in New York?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does Kasich collapse if Cruz beats him in New York?  (Read 699 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2016, 04:13:15 PM »

Simple question. Right now, in most of the mid-Atlantic states, there is still a fairly large vote for Kasich, and in many of these states it's not clear which of the two main anti-trump candidates is the strongest. If Cruz comes in second in New York, does Kasich's support take a large hit, with Cruz coming to lead Kasich decisively in polls of PA and MD?
dax00

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 04:16:39 PM »

No. The sharp contrast between all the remaining candidates lends to greater loyalty among supporters.
andrew_c
Canada

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 04:26:09 PM »

Only if Cruz beats him by double digits.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 04:47:19 PM »

I doubt it, but we will never find out, as this scenario will not happen. If anything, many Cruz voters may defect to Kasich in hopes of stopping Trump.
dax00

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 04:58:48 PM »

I doubt it, but we will never find out, as this scenario will not happen. If anything, many Cruz voters may defect to Kasich in hopes of stopping Trump.
That'd only have a chance of taking away potential Trump delegates in CDs he's bound to get less than 50% in, and it would require great cooperation, which I just don't see happening.
Angel of Death
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 05:48:41 PM »

Something cannot collapse when it's already lying on the ground.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 06:20:13 PM »

Remember how Cruz overperformed his polling in Wisconsin while Kasich underperformed his?  Many were interpreting that as tactical voting by anti-Trump voters—that there was a segment of voters who preferred Kasich, but voted for Cruz because he was the leading anti-Trump candidate.

I was wondering if this kind of tactical voting is something that will really vary state-to-state.  Do voters actually look at the polls of their own state to decide which non-Trump candidate to throw their support to?

That’s one possibility.  But I think it’s also possible that, because the media has already billed the national race as Cruz vs. Trump with Kasich an afterthought, tactical voting everywhere from now on will favor Cruz at the expense of Kasich.  In that case, Kasich wouldn’t collapse in the polls.  It would just be that he’d keep underperforming his polling numbers once we got to election day.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 06:27:08 PM »

He cant keep pretending to be more electable when he comes in last every time, so yes it could help lead to his continuing decline
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 03:15:12 PM »

I agree. And I don't think Cruz beats Kasich tomorrow, I just don't see it happening...
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 03:50:19 PM »

Remember how Cruz overperformed his polling in Wisconsin while Kasich underperformed his?  Many were interpreting that as tactical voting by anti-Trump voters—that there was a segment of voters who preferred Kasich, but voted for Cruz because he was the leading anti-Trump candidate.

I was wondering if this kind of tactical voting is something that will really vary state-to-state.  Do voters actually look at the polls of their own state to decide which non-Trump candidate to throw their support to?

That’s one possibility.  But I think it’s also possible that, because the media has already billed the national race as Cruz vs. Trump with Kasich an afterthought, tactical voting everywhere from now on will favor Cruz at the expense of Kasich.  In that case, Kasich wouldn’t collapse in the polls.  It would just be that he’d keep underperforming his polling numbers once we got to election day.

We will see.  If there is tactical voting then we should see Kasich doing very poorly in Upstate NY while Cruz should do poorly in NYC and NYC suburbs counties.   NY is a place where depending on where you live the anti-Trump might be different.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 05:33:28 PM »

We will see.  If there is tactical voting then we should see Kasich doing very poorly in Upstate NY while Cruz should do poorly in NYC and NYC suburbs counties.   NY is a place where depending on where you live the anti-Trump might be different.

What I mean is that while it's possible that the anti-Trump voters will be smart in tactical voting, going to Cruz in one place and Kasich in another, depending on what makes sense for the region, it's also possible that the tactical voting will favor Cruz everywhere, even in states where Kasich voters might as well just stick with him.  The voters aren't necessarily sophisticated about the delegate rules and the like.  They just might be aware that Cruz is the one likely non-Trump candidate left at the national level, so even while some of them tell pollsters that they prefer Kasich, they actually end up voting for Cruz on election day...even in places like NYC where Cruz would otherwise be weak.

It's similar to how 3rd party candidates do better in polls than they do on election day.  There are voters who tell pollsters that their preference is a 3rd party candidate, but then resign themselves to voting for one of the options who can win once they get in the voting booth.

At least, that's one possibility, and I guess it'll be tested tomorrow.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 05:36:33 PM »

He cant keep pretending to be more electable when he comes in last every time, so yes it could help lead to his continuing decline
He is the most electable in a GE, but primary voters don't seem to care.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 05:41:59 PM »

This. No one seemed to raise an eyebrow when Cruz beat him in MI, where he invested tons of resources.
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 07:27:55 PM »

No, he will not drop out because he wants to force the GOP into a contested convention.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 07:45:08 PM »

This. No one seemed to raise an eyebrow when Cruz beat him in MI, where he invested tons of resources.

Thing is, then all the anti-trump forces needed to keep Kasich around to beat him in Ohio, so they kept quiet. After 4/26, Kasich will no longer be necessary for anyone.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2016, 08:06:35 PM »

Kasich is already basically at his floor. There's a solid chunk of the party that hates TRUMP but would also never vote for a sanctimonious serial adulterer like Cruz.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies