IN-Sen.: GOP Primary Debate Tonight
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:22:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IN-Sen.: GOP Primary Debate Tonight
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IN-Sen.: GOP Primary Debate Tonight  (Read 437 times)
standwrand
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.55, S: -2.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 18, 2016, 03:04:12 PM »

There's a debate tonight between Rep Young and Rep Stutzman that will be the only televised debate and the first one since Eric Holcomb dropped out of the race. It probably won't matter or change anything, but somebody could say something crazy.

http://fox59.com/2016/04/17/in-focus-stutzman-young-discuss-supreme-court-controversy-other-issues/
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 03:39:40 PM »

Yeah I would say this won't change much. Young can come off as a bit akward and Stutzman is more likely to make a gaffe but both are fairly competent, if not very exciting, debators. Stutzman will try to attack Young as being the establishment while Young will hit Stutzman for being a career politician and not getting things done in the house.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 05:33:44 PM »

From what I saw on their interviews, both seem pretty good.  Stutzman is not as extreme as I thought, and from what he said when asked about abortion, I can't see him as Mourdock 2.0, though maybe it's better if he wins this seat, then Young runs for the other seat in 2018.  As said, Young is much stronger than Stutzman against Donnelly, and Indiana, along with MO, MT, and ND are the lowest hanging fruits for GOP pickup in 2018, so long as they don't screw up.  On a side note, where can I watch this debate?  And will they poll the primary after?
standwrand
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.55, S: -2.74

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 06:54:32 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2016, 06:57:37 PM by standwrand »

So far, Young has been doing surprisingly well, but maybe I'm biased. Young knows his talking points (emphasizing his record beating Barron Hill & his work in the marines) and seems to be going for seniors, which is a good move since the debate was at 7pm on a Monday afternoon. Young was able to effectively attack Stutzman on his moving to DC and flip flopping. Stutzman has this weird little bit of beard on his chin and made a kind of disturbing comment about young women and abortions.

There were, however a lot of agreements on issues, so there wasn't that much of a debate besides previously mentioned.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 07:01:23 PM »

Both candidates did a solid job. Young had a particularly good closing statement, and there was none of the awkwardness that was in his previous debates. I would agree that Young won, and that this debate probably won't change anything.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies