I can no longer support Hillary Clinton in good conscience
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:51:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  I can no longer support Hillary Clinton in good conscience
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: I can no longer support Hillary Clinton in good conscience  (Read 2814 times)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2016, 10:18:30 AM »

More proof that Hillary will say anything to win. Next she'll say that she literally crushed Bernie in NY, and then say "Bernie, your going to do badly in PA. It's voters will reject you're smears."

Theirs the door.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2016, 10:44:13 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Shameful and disgraceful.  I regret ever having voted for this woman.  Sad

If you find that "shameful and disgraceful" how do you feel about Don Trump mocking the thousands killed by terrorists, by comparing that tragedy to a convenience store chain?

it's a joke thread bb
This primary season has wrecked my sense of humor when it comes to politics. :/
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2016, 01:19:20 PM »

I like that the Bernie cultists jumped on this thread despite it obviously being absurd bait.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2016, 01:29:51 PM »

I'm not speaking as a Bernie supporter here, but as someone who respects the English language enough to find this abhorrent.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2016, 01:38:54 PM »

She is truly history's greatest monster.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2016, 01:40:54 PM »

She is truly history's greatest monster.

Can I quote you on that?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2016, 01:45:06 PM »

lol go ahead Tongue
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2016, 02:32:44 PM »

This actually makes me like her more. Linguistic evolution is cool.

Explain how this phrase makes sense in the context she was using it.

Language doesn't have to "make sense." Everyone who understands English and is familiar with that expression knows what Clinton meant by that.

Look, I'm all for linguistic evolution of outdated and antiquated grammar rules.  RIP 'whom' and dangling modifiers, and such.  But there are still some rules that apply so as to not make the speaker look like an idiot.  I'm never going to take somebody who says "supposably" seriously, for example.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2016, 03:00:53 PM »

At least she still speaks at an above grade-school level... Tongue
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2016, 03:25:52 PM »

I like that the Bernie cultists jumped on this thread despite it obviously being absurd bait.

The "outrage" over this is pretty clearly sarcastic.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2016, 03:32:10 PM »

Well, I am a grammar nazi. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know when to say "whom" or "I" or "me" and that "all right" is "all right". It isn't always to remember not to split infinitives or that ending sentences with prepositions is not prefered and to always be a perfect speller. (etc.)  But a little effort is worth the trouble.

Clichés and other trite so called positive sayings drive me up the wall. Boldly to go where others are too lazy and ignorant to go is a laudable goal. Use words according their proper dictionary definition. Don't say decimate if you mean devaste.

Don't say disinterested if you don't mean impartial. Know the difference between infer and imply.

At the end of the day don't use overused expressions like "at the end of the day" unless you literally mean at sunset. "Literally" doesn't mean "figuratively" and it literally bothers me when it is used that way. Why should I put up with bad grammar? It isn't something with which I should have to tolerate, but I shan't get that through to many people, and perhaps I shouldn't have such a high expectation that I ever shall.

Anyways, alls I want to aks ask is what is the point of grammar school if we don't use grammar correctly?
Mallow
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2016, 03:35:55 PM »

I've used "I could care less" in that context before. It's called sarcasm. It's really no different from saying "that's just great" about something that's not great at all.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2016, 03:37:19 PM »

I've used "I could care less" in that context before. It's called sarcasm. It's really no different from saying "that's just great" about something that's not great at all.
You mean like the "Great" Depression which wasn't that great at all? LOL Smiley
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2016, 03:42:12 PM »

I couldn't care less about which candidate would better handle an invasion from outer space and if it were to happen then pigs would fly and I'd be happy to let the flying pigs take care of the extraterrestrials, not that it has anything to do with the topic at hand except as another example of how many here might want to consider spending time somewhere else.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2016, 04:41:24 PM »

So, I take it you're still supporting her, just not in good conscience?
Like most Clinton/Cruz supporters.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2016, 05:12:02 PM »

Language doesn't have to "make sense." Everyone who understands English and is familiar with that expression knows what Clinton meant by that.

Look, I'm all for linguistic evolution of outdated and antiquated grammar rules.  RIP 'whom' and dangling modifiers, and such.  But there are still some rules that apply so as to not make the speaker look like an idiot.  I'm never going to take somebody who says "supposably" seriously, for example.

Who exactly makes these "rules"?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2016, 05:49:04 PM »

I don't think you fully understand the problem with this expression in the first place.

Who exactly makes these "rules"?

I don't know; I guess the people opposite from those who decide to throw the rules out the window and hope that people will both understand you and take you seriously at the same time?  If you're an intelligent person, why choose to sound like an idiot?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2016, 05:54:10 PM »

Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2016, 06:13:40 PM »

"I couldn't care less" is an idiom? Sounds to me like you're just expressing that you could not care less what someone has to say. Not a figure of speech in my opinion. My guess is Hillary actually set up her own server to hide her atrocious butchering of the English language.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2016, 06:16:18 PM »

"I couldn't care less" is an idiom? Sounds to me like you're just expressing that you could not care less what someone has to say. Not a figure of speech in my opinion. My guess is Hillary actually set up her own server to hide her atrocious butchering of the English language.

Judging from what we've seen from her emails so far, this seems likely. A good portion simply read "pls print".
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2016, 06:22:39 PM »

Judging from what we've seen from her emails so far, this seems likely. A good portion simply read "pls print".

And just look at the terrible grammar here.

This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2016, 06:23:26 PM »

And just look at the terrible grammar here.

It really is time for you to stop posting.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2016, 06:25:36 PM »

A couple more generation of texting or whatever comes next and god knows what English will look and sound like.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2016, 08:03:08 PM »

There are "rules" in the English language that make no sense and no one really follows, the best examples being the ones that are based on the idea that English needs to operate exactly like Latin even though it's not even a related language (this is where the idea that splitting infinitives and ending a sentence with a preposition are "wrong" come from, since they can't be done in Latin), but this statement defies all grammar and logic.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2016, 08:45:11 PM »

There are "rules" in the English language that make no sense and no one really follows, the best examples being the ones that are based on the idea that English needs to operate exactly like Latin even though it's not even a related language (this is where the idea that splitting infinitives and ending a sentence with a preposition are "wrong" come from, since they can't be done in Latin), but this statement defies all grammar and logic.

Why must you be so terrible! This is the kind of nonsense for which I cannot stand!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies