Christians: Most influential person in your faith?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:18:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Christians: Most influential person in your faith?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Christians: Most influential person in your faith?  (Read 3639 times)
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2016, 01:56:08 PM »

For and only for Atlas Christians, what historical person since Jesus' death has had the largest impact on the beliefs you have today? Was it an apostle? A saint? A founder of a church or someone who sparked a movement? A pope? Who was it and roughly why do you think that?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 02:43:22 PM »

Does it even have to be someone who's Christian, or someone known primarily as a Christian leader?

For example, there's Gandhi, who wasn't Christian but has influenced many Christians, including, Martin Luther King... who was a minister but is known much more for his civil rights work.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 07:39:03 PM »

I don't typically think in terms of particular people when thinking about my faith. If pressed, I'd pick Martin Luther despite his many faults and my many points of difference with his beliefs.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 09:08:26 PM »

Do Mormons count as Christians? If so, the answer is easy, Joseph Smith, then Brigham Young. Then Wilford Woodruff for ending polygamy, then David O McKay for centralizing and codifying much of modern Mormon culture, then finally Spencer W. Kimball for ending the ban on black clergy in the church.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 12:08:07 AM »

Billy Graham.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 12:23:28 AM »

Does it even have to be someone who's Christian, or someone known primarily as a Christian leader?

For example, there's Gandhi, who wasn't Christian but has influenced many Christians, including, Martin Luther King... who was a minister but is known much more for his civil rights work.

That's a fair answer if his teachings have helped form your Christian beliefs.

I don't typically think in terms of particular people when thinking about my faith. If pressed, I'd pick Martin Luther despite his many faults and my many points of difference with his beliefs.

Yeah its fair enough to say that you shouldn't have to hallow a certain person, but there is no doubt that you would have the faith you have today without the influence of many people since Jesus' death.

For this thread yeah.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 12:49:25 AM »

If Mormons count then I do, and I reckon the answer can't be anything other than Theodosius.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 03:56:24 AM »

Cheesy

Big fan of his.  Still like fundamentalist Calvinists like John MacArthur and James White, even though I'm a lot looser now.  That being said, the answer for me is pretty boring:  the pastor at the church I went to in middle/high school.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 06:53:04 AM »

Why not Constantine?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 09:23:05 AM »

Joseph Smith of course, but Gordon B. Hinckley is more personalized given how he was leader for most of my youth.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 10:28:53 AM »

Well, of course him too; he was my second choice. Shouldn't have made it so 'obvious'. Both are pretty critical to the spread, but I guess the predecessor set the wheels in motion for the latter even though the latter was part of the faith's definition.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 11:02:12 AM »

Well, of course him too; he was my second choice. Shouldn't have made it so 'obvious'. Both are pretty critical to the spread, but I guess the predecessor set the wheels in motion for the latter even though the latter was part of the faith's definition.

Eastern Orthodox Christians?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 04:16:48 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2016, 04:18:52 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

Peter
Paul
John
Philip (at least the story of him baptizing the eunuch)
Martin Luther
John & Charles Wesley
Billy Graham
Martin Luther King Jr.
Jonathan Daniels
Desmond Ford
Fanny Crosby
Sundar Singh
Mother Teresa
St. Therese of Lisieux
Wilhelm Löhe
My uncle, who is an LCMS minister

There are plenty of others I could think of, but I'm not sure how they were particularly influential on my personal faith.  And there are probably plenty of non-Christians I could add as well; for the purposes of this list, I only included people who actually were Christians.

I would count them as Christians, albeit very heterodox.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 07:12:17 PM »

At least he's not Wisconsin Synod. Those guys are so tightass that they wouldn't let Jesus take communion with them, let alone most of the people, Judas excepted, he associated with.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 08:09:57 PM »

I don't usually think of people. I suppose John Wesley, as any good Methodist would say.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 05:47:13 PM »

Peter
Paul
John
Philip (at least the story of him baptizing the eunuch)
Martin Luther
John & Charles Wesley
Billy Graham
Martin Luther King Jr.
Jonathan Daniels
Desmond Ford
Fanny Crosby
Sundar Singh
Mother Teresa
St. Therese of Lisieux
Wilhelm Löhe
My uncle, who is an LCMS minister

There are plenty of others I could think of, but I'm not sure how they were particularly influential on my personal faith.  And there are probably plenty of non-Christians I could add as well; for the purposes of this list, I only included people who actually were Christians.

I would count them as Christians, albeit very heterodox.

I'm impressed you know who Sundar Singh is. He has influenced some within my circles.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 06:35:59 PM »

Although I'm straying away from Presbyterianism and into the Papist fold, John Calvin and Andrew Murray  have had an effect on my personal philosophy and religion.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2016, 10:47:39 AM »

Probably John Wesley or Martin Luther King, Jr.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2016, 02:12:49 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2016, 02:25:42 PM by What shall make their sap ascend? »

Mary.

ETA: Honorable mentions: Gregory of Nyssa (and Macrina), Francis of Assisi, Clare of Assisi, Gregory Palamas, Julian of Norwich, Pope Leo XIII, Christina Rossetti, Thérèse of Lisieux, Gemma Galgani, Kagawa Toyohiko, Dorothy Day, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Pope Francis.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 04:01:01 AM »
« Edited: April 28, 2016, 04:02:35 AM by Derpist »

Easily, the people I personally know.

The most brilliant, cerebral Christian I know - a guy who studied everything about the ancient theological debates and scholastic-medieval philosophers and really just knows everything about the Church - is an ex-Catholic who left because of Francis's Muslim-shilling.

The second most brilliant, influential Christian I know actually works for the Vatican now, lol.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2016, 10:47:36 AM »

The most brilliant, cerebral Christian I know - a guy who studied everything about the ancient theological debates and scholastic-medieval philosophers and really just knows everything about the Church - is an ex-Catholic who left because of Francis's Muslim-shilling.

...yikes. What is he now?
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2016, 01:14:57 PM »

Obviously some form of Eastern Orthodox - the non-cucked version of Catholicism.

My breaking point with Catholicism came when Francis compounded that with his blatant illegal & PP shilling. I am sympathetic to evangelicals who call the Pope the anti-Christ, but at the end of the day, I think I'm done with organized Christianity now.

Plus, in a world where Trump fails, we might as well convert to Islam when that window of opportunity is still open.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2016, 01:38:32 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2016, 02:41:50 PM by whyCarly? »

Obviously some form of Eastern Orthodox - the non-cucked version of Catholicism.

My breaking point with Catholicism came when Francis compounded that with his blatant illegal & PP shilling. I am sympathetic to evangelicals who call the Pope the anti-Christ, but at the end of the day, I think I'm done with organized Christianity now.

Plus, in a world where Trump fails, we might as well convert to Islam when that window of opportunity is still open.

Uh, okay.

ETA: Funnily enough, when my girlfriend went to Trump's rally in Indianapolis last night (out of a quasi-journalistic impulse and sick curiosity as to what it was like), somebody put a Tony Alamo pamphlet on her car, so between that and this I guess trumpista anti-Catholicism is a thing now, notwithstanding how well he's doing with cultural Catholics in the Northeast. I wonder if this counts as a 'sign of contradiction'.
Small L
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2016, 03:55:36 PM »

Thomas Merton and Flannery O'Connor have probably had the biggest influence on me.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2016, 08:45:28 PM »

If I chose a theologian, I'd pick Martin Luther. However, I'm going to go out on a limb a bit and say John Hunyadi. Hungary, Poland, Russia, the Byzantine Empire and other countries defended Christendom against the Ottomans for centuries during the Dark Ages of Western corruption, impiety and intellectual stagnation. The struggles of that era play an important part in shaping my views on Christianity's place in the world. Hunyadi reminds me that Christianity remains under threat and that it is always worth defending.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies