Christians: Most influential person in your faith? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:25:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Christians: Most influential person in your faith? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Christians: Most influential person in your faith?  (Read 3710 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« on: April 27, 2016, 02:12:49 PM »
« edited: April 27, 2016, 02:25:42 PM by What shall make their sap ascend? »

Mary.

ETA: Honorable mentions: Gregory of Nyssa (and Macrina), Francis of Assisi, Clare of Assisi, Gregory Palamas, Julian of Norwich, Pope Leo XIII, Christina Rossetti, Thérèse of Lisieux, Gemma Galgani, Kagawa Toyohiko, Dorothy Day, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Pope Francis.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 10:47:36 AM »

The most brilliant, cerebral Christian I know - a guy who studied everything about the ancient theological debates and scholastic-medieval philosophers and really just knows everything about the Church - is an ex-Catholic who left because of Francis's Muslim-shilling.

...yikes. What is he now?
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 01:38:32 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2016, 02:41:50 PM by whyCarly? »

The most brilliant, cerebral Christian I know - a guy who studied everything about the ancient theological debates and scholastic-medieval philosophers and really just knows everything about the Church - is an ex-Catholic who left because of Francis's Muslim-shilling.

...yikes. What is he now?

Obviously some form of Eastern Orthodox - the non-cucked version of Catholicism.

My breaking point with Catholicism came when Francis compounded that with his blatant illegal & PP shilling. I am sympathetic to evangelicals who call the Pope the anti-Christ, but at the end of the day, I think I'm done with organized Christianity now.

Plus, in a world where Trump fails, we might as well convert to Islam when that window of opportunity is still open.

Uh, okay.

ETA: Funnily enough, when my girlfriend went to Trump's rally in Indianapolis last night (out of a quasi-journalistic impulse and sick curiosity as to what it was like), somebody put a Tony Alamo pamphlet on her car, so between that and this I guess trumpista anti-Catholicism is a thing now, notwithstanding how well he's doing with cultural Catholics in the Northeast. I wonder if this counts as a 'sign of contradiction'.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 11:14:24 PM »

Thomas Merton and Flannery O'Connor have probably had the biggest influence on me.

I'm sorry to have forgotten Flannery. (Wonderful picture of her in your signature, by the way; I haven't seen that one before.)
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 01:55:31 AM »

I feel like 'I'm very High Church' should be sufficient answer to both of these questions.

Also, Endō's become an increasingly greater influence on my faith over the past few months.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies