Why doesn't Hillary just support single-payer and tuition-free college?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:08:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why doesn't Hillary just support single-payer and tuition-free college?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Why doesn't Hillary just support single-payer and tuition-free college?  (Read 2012 times)
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2016, 09:34:07 PM »

Perhaps because a majority of her supporters and Bernie Sanders supporters are not willing to pay the full costs to fund these programs.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/4/14/11421744/bernie-sanders-tax-revolution

People want government services but they don't want to pay for them.  As a government worker I have watched this hypocritical cognitive dissonance for many years.

Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2016, 11:47:04 PM »

I got really excited when Hilldog proposed both of these ideas because they are basically what I want.  However, it's pretty obvious she only proposed these after pressure from Sandy and there is therefore a credibility deficit for me with her potential follow through on these planks.

You could be right, but neither of her proposals seem all that liberal or uncharacteristic of her to me. Her healthcare policies seem fairly unambitious and any Democrat interested in building on Obamacare would probably pursue them. The college policies are a heavy lift, but they seem like one possible legislative opportunity if Democrats win a landslide in 2016.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2016, 08:37:14 AM »

Clinton doesn't support single-payer healthcare because the private health insurance business is a cancer so invasive that to cut it out would kill the patient.

Higher education could have been freely provided by the state fifty years ago.  However fifty years ago students didn't expect to live in posh, spacious dorm rooms, eat restaurant-quality cafeteria food, take classes in sparkling new buildings, have labs with state-of-the-art equipment and brand new computers, and so on.  State schools used to be institutional education.  The student loan racket and resulting education bubble has created spiraling spending and outrageous expectations.  Good luck dialing that back.

Or we could just cut the vast administrative bloat, and actually have professors teach classes....

That's a big part of it as well.  Follow the money.  And there's a LOT of money.  Student loans are at the root of it, though. 

We've managed to make crippling, lifelong debt a necessary part of the educational process.  So much so that I almost want to tell a high school senior to skip college altogether, self-educate, and maybe get a cheap certification in Java or .NET and an entry-level IT development gig.  You'll be making high-five-figures in a few years, and by the time you're 30, your retirement balance will be the same as your college-educated friends' loan balances.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies