Overall, is Southeast Asia more culturally similar to China or India?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:28:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Overall, is Southeast Asia more culturally similar to China or India?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
China

India

Neither/both equally

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Overall, is Southeast Asia more culturally similar to China or India?  (Read 953 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2016, 07:40:15 PM »

Well?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 07:50:41 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2016, 07:54:33 PM by Blue3 »

Probably India. The area used to be Hindu, then converted to original/Indian-style Buddhism. Similar architecture too. And like India, more heterogeneous than Han China.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 09:06:34 PM »

Southeast Asia's a good example of how constructed regions don't always make a lot of sense.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 09:31:36 PM »

It's China.

SE Asia has Chinese subculture in every country.

When i thin Asian, i dont think Indian.

SE Asia owes a lot of its food, trade and culture to Chinese influence. Large populations of Chinese exist in Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and The Phillipines.

I dont even consider India as part of Asia. Pakistan and India are typically referrwd to as the "sub-continent".
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 10:54:53 PM »

At the least, Thai and Khmer culture is fundamentally Indian in derivation. The language is deeply reliant on a Sanskrit and Pali lexicon. Sure there are more Chinese living in the region but they tend to either remain distinct or assimilate. Their cultural impact remains relatively limited.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 10:57:20 PM »

China for Vietnam and Singapore; India for Indonesia, Burma, Cambodia, and Thailand; I don't know enough about Laos or Malaysia to be sure; I'm not sure I'd count the Philippines as Southeast Asia for these purposes.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 11:11:43 PM »

China for Vietnam and Singapore; India for Indonesia, Burma, Cambodia, and Thailand; I don't know enough about Laos or Malaysia to be sure; I'm not sure I'd count the Philippines as Southeast Asia for these purposes.

I'm fairly confident in saying that Malaysia and Laos would be more culturally Indian than Chinese. They not only are/were influenced by Hinduism and Buddhism, but also have influence from Indian writing systems:

(red = Chinese writing influences)

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 10:34:06 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2016, 10:40:22 PM by Simfan34 »

Laos definitely falls in the Indic sphere. They speak a Tai language and have largely the same Khmer-Thai influenced culture as their neighbors. Malaysia also has the same influences as Indonesia, although to a lesser extent, I feel (for instance, while the Javanese script is like its neighbors derived from Sanskrit, the "old" Malay script is simply Arabic) . The Philippines, however, do their own thing. There the cultural substrate is Spanish if anything. Above all, though, Theravada Buddhism predominates or historically predominated in all but Vietnam and the Philippines.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 02:07:48 PM »

Well, I've been to Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam, and of those Singapore and Vietnam felt more Chinese while Thailand felt more Indian. Maybe that's just me, but I say it varies by country.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 02:36:45 PM »

Above all, though, Theravada Buddhism predominates or historically predominated in all but Vietnam and the Philippines.

Yeah, Vietnam being Mahayana is a huge part of why I said China for it--that, the writing system, and the type of wet-rice agriculture.

Also, I completely forgot Brunei existed when I made that post.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies