Lepage vetoes heroin treatment, tells addicts to just die already
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:30:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Lepage vetoes heroin treatment, tells addicts to just die already
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Lepage vetoes heroin treatment, tells addicts to just die already  (Read 1746 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 21, 2016, 07:44:04 PM »

"Maine Gov. Paul LePage To Heroin Addicts: Drop Dead" - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2016/04/20/maine-governor-paul-lepage-heroin-addicts_n_9752250.html

Maine, why did you elect this foul man...
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 07:46:13 PM »

Would it be possible to impeach this 'human'?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 08:09:47 PM »

The headline does not match up with what Lepage said.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 09:25:48 PM »

As someone who has a cousin addicted to drugs can he go  himself.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 09:42:23 PM »

I have a brother who is in rehab recovering from heroin; to be fair, LePage did not literally say "drop dead" but this veto is senseless.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 10:13:38 PM »

Piece of s**t.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 10:23:00 PM »

Maybe he should die himself.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 12:12:56 AM »
« Edited: April 22, 2016, 12:16:10 AM by Lyin' Steve »

As soon as I saw HuffPo in the URL, I knew he didn't say that.  But even I was shocked by the level of sheer stupidity in the article.
We need to ban HuffPo.

For those who don't want to give HuffPo the clicks, all he did was ban a particular drug that he thinks does nothing to help addicts, and he issued a perfectly mature and bureaucratic-sounding statement.  The 12-year-old author inserted the "drop dead", the tagline says "no seriously, that's pretty much what he said."

Wulfric, you damn fool, shame on you for creating this thread and shame on you for reading the Huffington post.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 01:42:33 AM »

At least LePage is being consistent in his denigration of drug addicts.

Unlike the rest of the Republican Party, which wanted to be "tough on those drug-using hooligans" for 50 years until the hooligans started to be white people in the suburbs, who of course must be treated with compassion and second/third/fourth chances.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 02:43:25 AM »

I don't understand why Democrats don't prepare impeachment. Or bills to create it.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 03:30:40 AM »

As soon as I saw HuffPo in the URL, I knew he didn't say that.  But even I was shocked by the level of sheer stupidity in the article.
We need to ban HuffPo.

For those who don't want to give HuffPo the clicks, all he did was ban a particular drug that he thinks does nothing to help addicts, and he issued a perfectly mature and bureaucratic-sounding statement.  The 12-year-old author inserted the "drop dead", the tagline says "no seriously, that's pretty much what he said."

Wulfric, you damn fool, shame on you for creating this thread and shame on you for reading the Huffington post.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 08:11:12 AM »

It seems accurate enough to me. He's saying let them die, assuming they will die later from another overdoes. It is outrageous - and ignorant. What are the statistics that someone saved from an overdoes, dies later from an overdose? What are the odds? Whatever the odds, what he did shocks the conscience - at least my conscience. And it is not as if a ton of money is involved either.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 08:59:08 AM »

I don't understand why Democrats don't prepare impeachment. Or bills to create it.

You cannot impeach someone just because you disagree with their policies. This is why I roll my eyes at stupid conservatives who say "Impeach Obama!" No matter how much you disagree, no laws were broken. We have to stop this already.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 02:21:53 PM »

He refused to swear in a new member of the legislature, just because! Partisan balance wasn't at stake, it was nothing personal, there was no consequence, it was just a sign of disrespect.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 02:23:40 PM »

He refused to swear in a new member of the legislature, just because! Partisan balance wasn't at stake, it was nothing personal, there was no consequence, it was just a sign of disrespect.
That isn't a crime.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2016, 03:45:55 PM »

Well, Democrats do not control the State Senate, and even if they did, it takes 2/3rds majority to convict. Republicans wouldn't sign off on something like that unless it was so serious that they had no other choice.

On that note, LePage seems like an asshole of the highest order and a man prone to very questionable practices of all sorts, but I'm still not sure myself what kind of action that warrants. He should probably be censured just so there is an official record of lawmakers recognizing him as being a dick.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2016, 05:57:29 PM »

Actually, it's pretty close.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2016, 06:07:24 PM »

We need to ban HuffPo.

No, it wasn't mature or nonsensical.

<<“Naloxone does not truly save lives; it merely extends them until the next overdose,” LePage wrote.

It was not the first time LePage had shared such a belief, but attaching it to his veto elevated it to a statement of official policy.

“Creating a situation where an addict has a heroin needle in one hand and a shot of naloxone in the other produces a sense of normalcy and security around heroin use that serves only to perpetuate the cycle of addiction,” he wrote.>

So better addicts don't get access to a medicine without which they WILL DIE because they'll just overdose later anyway, and reviving an overdose victim from the brink of death instead of their actually winding up in the morgue somehow "normalizes" heroin addiction?

So he didn't LITTERALLY say "heroin addicts can drop dead". How much of an obtuse apologist does one have to be to avoid acknowledging that is UNQUESTIONABLY the message he expressly and purposely conveyed?!?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2016, 07:08:08 PM »

As someone who has had family members who have recovered from drug addiction to lead outwardly normal lives, he shouldn't go  himself.

Disregarding the political component of this discussion about whether some particular program should be funded or not, willing the good of others is a fundamental Christian teaching that cannot be dispensed with no matter how badly they screw up. Don't wish him ed, pray for him.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2016, 07:24:47 PM »

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP
Who voted for him? Why? How does he even exist?
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2016, 08:14:49 PM »

HPHPHPHPHPHPHPHP
Who voted for him? Why? How does he even exist?

Split vote.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2016, 12:05:19 AM »

Unlike the rest of the Republican Party, which wanted to be "tough on those drug-using hooligans" for 50 years until the hooligans started to be white people in the suburbs, who of course must be treated with compassion and second/third/fourth chances.

This is a good point. At least LePage is an equal opportunity murderer. Or maybe he's going after the "dozens of black men" that the Maine Republican Party chairman said stole the election for Obama.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2016, 12:15:59 AM »

Thank the Democrats for continuing to run Libby Mitchell when she was so far behind in the polls.

There was no reason for him to veto this. Can't wait til he's out of office.......then again, I'm moving to NH in May (at least for a year or so) so I guess I won't have to worry about what he decides to do with his remaining years.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2016, 02:23:42 AM »

The veto was overridden, thankfully. But still, what is wrong with this governor?!?

https://bangordailynews.com/2016/04/29/politics/state-house/legislature-overrides-12-of-lepages-33-vetoes-on-final-day/
101spotted
Rookie
Switzerland

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2016, 02:29:50 AM »
« Edited: April 30, 2016, 02:33:27 AM by 101spotted »

If I'm not mistaken the heroin addict population has been predominately White since the late 1960s.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies