Trump: Tubman shouldn't be $20 cuz she's a black woman, $2 "more appropriate"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:32:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump: Tubman shouldn't be $20 cuz she's a black woman, $2 "more appropriate"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump: Tubman shouldn't be $20 cuz she's a black woman, $2 "more appropriate"  (Read 1604 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 21, 2016, 08:22:34 PM »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-dont-put-abolitionist-tubman-20-bill-172246062.html

Trump:
Putting her on the $20 is undeserved and only because of political correctness, says the $2 bill might be "more appropriate" for her.

Also says Andrew Jackson was a hero and champion of the common people (unless you're black or Native American).

Damn I wish this was a fake news story.
cwt

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 08:29:24 PM »

Also says Andrew Jackson was a hero and champion of the common people (unless you're black or Native American).

Historians consistently rank him among the top 10 best presidents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_Presidents_of_the_United_States
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 08:29:32 PM »

I agree with him.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 08:29:51 PM »

This is Ben Carson's suggestion.
Zache

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 08:41:58 PM »

This is surprising? To a sizable portion of Trump's base Tubman was nothing more than a grand larcenist.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 08:46:17 PM »

This, Jackson should be kept, and Tubman can be put on another currency, cough* $10.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 08:49:33 PM »

This, Jackson should be kept, and Tubman can be put on another currency, cough* $10.

Wtf is wrong with you people?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 08:50:58 PM »

Wtf is wrong with you people?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 08:51:18 PM »

Jackson is being kept on the $20. The back.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 09:43:25 PM »

Jackson certainly had his unsavory side.  But I don't believe in wiping out of history our leaders of the past because they don't measure up by today's standards.  The entire world was less tolerant and more racist and xenophobic in Jackson's time.  Jackson was a President whose legacy was the annexation of Texas and a greater degree of democratic features in our form of government.  Tubman is worthy of the honor of being on a $20 bill, but Jackson doesn't deserve to be dishonored by being judged in an ex post facto way.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 09:46:53 PM »

Jackson certainly had his unsavory side.  But I don't believe in wiping out of history our leaders of the past because they don't measure up by today's standards.  The entire world was less tolerant and more racist and xenophobic in Jackson's time.  Jackson was a President whose legacy was the annexation of Texas and a greater degree of democratic features in our form of government.  Tubman is worthy of the honor of being on a $20 bill, but Jackson doesn't deserve to be dishonored by being judged in an ex post facto way.
This. I don't mean to dishonor Tubman, (who I said was a top-tier candidate for first woman on a bill in another thread) I'm just troubled by singling out Jackson for removal, especially after Hamilton was given a reprieve. If it became official policy to rotate historical figures on/off bills in the future, I would have no qualms with Jackson being the first to be removed under such a policy.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 09:51:11 PM »

Ah, more misleading clickbait titles.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 10:04:49 PM »

Jackson certainly had his unsavory side.  But I don't believe in wiping out of history our leaders of the past because they don't measure up by today's standards.  The entire world was less tolerant and more racist and xenophobic in Jackson's time.  Jackson was a President whose legacy was the annexation of Texas and a greater degree of democratic features in our form of government.  Tubman is worthy of the honor of being on a $20 bill, but Jackson doesn't deserve to be dishonored by being judged in an ex post facto way.
This. I don't mean to dishonor Tubman, (who I said was a top-tier candidate for first woman on a bill in another thread) I'm just troubled by singling out Jackson for removal, especially after Hamilton was given a reprieve. If it became official policy to rotate historical figures on/off bills in the future, I would have no qualms with Jackson being the first to be removed under such a policy.

Sorry guys. I allow for a little bit of moral relativism when talking about the distant past but we aren't talking about the Bronze Age when people wiped out neighboring tribes for the hell of it. We are talking about less than 200 years ago. The idea that stealing people's land and sending them on a death march was a bad thing was already out there. It wasn't just the radicals of the day who opposed Jackson's actions either, it was the goddamn Supreme Court. Even by the standards of the time, Jackson's actions were evil.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 10:20:53 PM »

Not only was he a xenophobic murderer, Jackson was also economically a complete moron that single-handedly caused a depression.

The ONLY thing he has going for him (it happens to be one really BIG thing, to be fair) is that he was the charismatic leader of a movement that eventually established universal suffrage for all white males (not just property owners/the wealthy) in all the states.

Though he probably gets too much credit for that and that probably would have happened with some other Democrat as President who wasn't a psychopath.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 10:25:56 PM »

I thought she was going on the $10? Did they finally get some sense and keep Hamilton on the ten? The founder of our financial system is more deserving of being honored than Jackson who despised it.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 10:27:53 PM »

I thought she was going on the $10? Did they finally get some sense and keep Hamilton on the ten? The founder of our financial system is more deserving of being honored than Jackson who despised it.

Yep. They probably changed their mind because of that musical. I'm glad they did though, getting rid of Hamilton rather than Jackson was a stupid Moderate Hero plan that wouldn't have pleased anyone.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 10:32:10 PM »

Not only was he a xenophobic murderer, Jackson was also economically a complete moron that single-handedly caused a depression.

I wouldn't say single handedly, but it certainly did not help.

The main cause was the collapse in cotton prices. Jackson's actions made it worse similar to Hoover though, but Hoover didn't single handedly cause the Great Depression either.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 10:34:09 PM »

Yep. They probably changed their mind because of that musical. I'm glad they did though, getting rid of Hamilton rather than Jackson was a stupid Moderate Hero plan that wouldn't have pleased anyone.

My opinion of that musical just went up drastically, in that case. Could not have been timed better.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 10:38:03 PM »

The main cause was the collapse in cotton prices. Jackson's actions made it worse similar to Hoover though, but Hoover didn't single handedly cause the Great Depression either.

I assume we're both referring to Jackson's boneheaded ideological decision to call in the loans and disband the bank of the US thereby pouring an ocean of gasoline on the fire that was the economic downturn.

Hoover at least didn't do any harm, he just didn't do anything good.  My impression of him is that he is mildly underrated and just massively overshadowed by the all-time great that immediately followed him.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2016, 10:42:50 PM »

I assume we're both referring to Jackson's boneheaded ideological decision to call in the loans and disband the bank of the US thereby pouring an ocean of gasoline on the fire that was the economic downturn.

Hoover at least didn't do any harm, he just didn't do anything good.  My impression of him is that he is mildly underrated and just massively overshadowed by the all-time great that immediately followed him.

The Tariff was very harmful. For instance before that, Ford decimated Fiat in the low end car market in Italy. After the Tariff, Fords were left on wherehouse docks in New York, whilst Fiat got to sell a bunch of crappy cars on the low end market.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2016, 10:46:23 PM »

The Tariff was very harmful. For instance before that, Ford decimated Fiat in the low end car market in Italy. After the Tariff, Fords were left on wherehouse docks in New York, whilst Fiat got to sell a bunch of crappy cars on the low end market.

Touche
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2016, 11:26:10 PM »

His translation of De Re Metallica with his wife was excellent, for whatever that may be worth in judging him.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2016, 11:26:57 PM »

Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2016, 11:45:56 PM »

So this is Trump's plan to make inroads with the black community.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2016, 09:20:59 AM »

The Underground Railroad was a heroic enterprise.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies