MO-Sen 2018: Wagner likely running
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:40:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MO-Sen 2018: Wagner likely running
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: MO-Sen 2018: Wagner likely running  (Read 1683 times)
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2016, 09:58:48 PM »

Hey, Blanche only lost by 22.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2016, 10:00:27 PM »

2018 looks very promising for the GOP in the Senate because Democrats have to defend a ton of seats, especially in MO, IN, MT, and ND, all of which are vulnerable.  Plus, 2018 is a midterm year, which means lower turnout, usually favoring the GOP (unless it turns out to be really bad for Republicans).  It's likely that Democrats will gain some Governorships due to Republicans defending so many.  For the House, it's too early to tell, and some gerrymandering lawsuits are still pending.  I think Ann Wagner, Greg Ballard, Jack Dalrymple, and Ryan Zinke are strong recruits for the four seats mentioned above.

I wouldn't count on GOP performing like they did under Obama McCaskill, Tester, Brown and Donnelly are skilled campaigners and Flake will be tea partied and Heller has two Dems in Kate Marshall and Ross Miller ready to defeat him. Heikamp is the only untested one. And if Clinton is prez she won't be toxic to red state voters like in MO like Obama was.

Portman, Ayotte and Tooney are vulnerable this election cycle because of Trump may doom Senate GOP
Of all the Dems you mentioned, other than Brown, Heitkamp is the strongest candidate and far likelier to survive than McCaskill. And while we're on the subject of Dalrymple, I don't understand why anyone would pick Senate over Governor.
I mentioned Dalrymple because he's not running for reelection this year.  Maybe he'll try, or maybe he's retiring.  He ran for Senate in the past, when the Dakotas were far friendlier to liberal senators, so he's not uninterested.  And his predecessor as governor, John Hoeven, ran for Senate while a sitting governor, so he's a possibility.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2016, 10:04:58 PM »

Brown is in no way weak, and while McCaskill may well be, she's pretty damn savvy.
JMT

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2016, 11:59:00 PM »

2018 looks very promising for the GOP in the Senate because Democrats have to defend a ton of seats, especially in MO, IN, MT, and ND, all of which are vulnerable.  Plus, 2018 is a midterm year, which means lower turnout, usually favoring the GOP (unless it turns out to be really bad for Republicans).  It's likely that Democrats will gain some Governorships due to Republicans defending so many.  For the House, it's too early to tell, and some gerrymandering lawsuits are still pending.  I think Ann Wagner, Greg Ballard, Jack Dalrymple, and Ryan Zinke are strong recruits for the four seats mentioned above.

I wouldn't count on GOP performing like they did under Obama McCaskill, Tester, Brown and Donnelly are skilled campaigners and Flake will be tea partied and Heller has two Dems in Kate Marshall and Ross Miller ready to defeat him. Heikamp is the only untested one. And if Clinton is prez she won't be toxic to red state voters like in MO like Obama was.

Portman, Ayotte and Tooney are vulnerable this election cycle because of Trump may doom Senate GOP
Of all the Dems you mentioned, other than Brown, Heitkamp is the strongest candidate and far likelier to survive than McCaskill. And while we're on the subject of Dalrymple, I don't understand why anyone would pick Senate over Governor.

Many Governors have run for the senate, it wouldn't be all too surprising if Dalrymple tried to do so as well. Many of the former Governors in the Senate either retired or were term limited before running for Senate, though. Some have run while serving as governor, Maggie Hassan is doing that now, and Jeanne Shaheen ran for Senate as an incumbent Gov in 2002. Same for Joe Manchin, who ran for Senate in 2010 while serving as Gov. So it wouldn't be out of the question for Dalrymple to try for the Senate, I guess it remains to be seen if he is looking at this race or if he is just done with politics in general.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2016, 05:41:36 PM »

Many Governors have run for the senate, it wouldn't be all too surprising if Dalrymple tried to do so as well. Many of the former Governors in the Senate either retired or were term limited before running for Senate, though. Some have run while serving as governor, Maggie Hassan is doing that now, and Jeanne Shaheen ran for Senate as an incumbent Gov in 2002. Same for Joe Manchin, who ran for Senate in 2010 while serving as Gov. So it wouldn't be out of the question for Dalrymple to try for the Senate, I guess it remains to be seen if he is looking at this race or if he is just done with politics in general.
Oh, I know governors run for the Senste regularly; I just have no idea why.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2016, 05:51:52 PM »

Oh, I know governors run for the Senste regularly; I just have no idea why.
Sometimes it's because they're term-limited and want another high-profile statewide office.  Other times, they may want a change.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies