Switch party for Trump and Clinton
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:41:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Switch party for Trump and Clinton
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Couldn't each party's candidate pretty easily have ran in the other party?
Yes

No

Maybe

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Switch party for Trump and Clinton  (Read 718 times)
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 22, 2016, 08:47:00 AM »

I find both of these candidates no matter what they say during the primary campaign to both to their core being fiscally conservative (slightly) and socially liberal (slightly).

For me personally I could have seen either of these candidates change their tunes slightly and have easily ran in the other primary and done fairly well.

Whereas Sanders and Cruz are both strong left and strong right candidates.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 09:02:34 AM »

No! 

Even just on paper, Hillary is way too liberal on social issues to succeed in the Republican party - economically and on FP she's passable.

In reality, the name "Clinton" provokes feelings of rage in the brains of Republicans, which would be totally disqualifying.

If Trump never did the birther thing/appearing on fox and friends to spout off conservative bullcrap after Obama was elected, he could do okay, as in a economic nationalist socially liberal tough talker could win a few votes in the Democratic primary (though not win).

Also, in general on here, people WAY over-exaggerate "centrism."  In reality at the national level nowadays, there is a chasm between the most "centrist" Democrats and the most "centrist" Republicans on policy.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 09:04:39 AM »

Sadly, there is no center in America, anymore. This is thanks to the voters in both parties.

When the voters in the Republican Party are holding rifles pretending it's 1776 and the voters in the Democratic Party are holding up pictures of Mao on Wall Street, there is no more room for centrists.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 09:08:00 AM »

No.

Donald Trump, a typical demagogue, may say things with a left-wing appeal, but he has no problem contradicting himself. He insults too many ethnic and religious minorities to be a Democrat. Such pro-feminist things as he says are basically for economically-elite women only.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 09:18:46 AM »

Bill Clinton made a cynical grab for the center-right in 1993, and in doing so, solidified the Northeast for the Democratic Party for the next 25 years.  The GOP and Dems fought hard for this ground, resulting in a 2000 election in which Bush and Gore were really almost identical on every key issue except social wedges.  (They are called "wedges" for a reason.  They drive a wedge between voters who are otherwise undivided.)

If this were 2000, or even 2008, if not for her stance on the social wedges, she could have been a Republican.  It's not 2008, however.  It's 2016, and the GOP has abandoned the fight for the center.  The GOP has abandoned the fight for sanity.

Donald Trump doesn't really belong in either party.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 02:17:03 PM »

The Republicans hate Hillary with every fiber of their being and always have. She's also center-left. Trump was a birther. This is a silly question.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 05:23:12 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2016, 05:29:50 PM by SillyAmerican »

Yes. And I'd wish we'd figure out a way of getting rid of parties altogether; they're becoming more and more irrelevant, and seem to be increasing the likelihood of our getting stuck with poor governance.

Sadly, there is no center in America, anymore. This is thanks to the voters in both parties.

When the voters in the Republican Party are holding rifles pretending it's 1776 and the voters in the Democratic Party are holding up pictures of Mao on Wall Street, there is no more room for centrists.

Yes. And this is a real problem for folks like me who find themselves center-left on most social issues, and center-right on most fiscal issues. As you say, there's really no center anymore, thanks to the polarized electorate...
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 06:01:13 PM »

Yes, TRUMP as a moderate anti-establishment candidate and Hillary as neocon with socially moderate views.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 06:07:58 PM »

Sure, 40 years ago.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 07:46:59 PM »

The only real reason against this would be that Republicans hate Hillary. Ignoring that, yes.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 09:18:55 PM »

No.  Clinton might get some flak for being a conservative Democrat, at least in comparison to Sanders, but she would be a really left-wing Democrat.  Many Republicans would probably also have an issue voting for a Clinton, considering she was first lady to a Democrat, a Democratic Senator, and already sought the Democratic nomination once.

I don't buy the idea that a Democratic Trump would get the same sort of momentum.  I just don't think there would be as much of a crossover vote, and I doubt his message and style would work as well amongst Democrats.  The DNC probably would have taken a stand to stop him.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 09:50:55 PM »

No.  Clinton might get some flak for being a conservative Democrat, at least in comparison to Sanders, but she would be a really left-wing Democrat.  Many Republicans would probably also have an issue voting for a Clinton, considering she was first lady to a Democrat, a Democratic Senator, and already sought the Democratic nomination once.

I don't buy the idea that a Democratic Trump would get the same sort of momentum.  I just don't think there would be as much of a crossover vote, and I doubt his message and style would work as well amongst Democrats.  The DNC probably would have taken a stand to stop him.

I would vote against Trump if he were a Democrat.  He has made so many contradictory promises that he would never get my trust.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies