WA - Elway: Clinton leads, tied race on GOP side (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:10:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
  WA - Elway: Clinton leads, tied race on GOP side (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WA - Elway: Clinton leads, tied race on GOP side  (Read 2642 times)
BundouYMB

« on: April 22, 2016, 10:44:24 AM »

This is why people thinking Sanders' is going to win Oregon, a closed primary, because he won Washington, in an open caucus, is crazy. I'm not saying it won't happen, I think it'll be close either way, but the results in Washington were mostly the product of the format the election took place in and indicate very little about how the vote would look in a similar place but with a completely different format. Clearly if Washington had been a closed primary Clinton would have had a good shot at winning it.
BundouYMB

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 11:59:28 AM »

No one thinks Clinton would've won a closed primary in Washington. But it wouldn't have been a 45% margin win for Sanders.

I know, I was mainly responding to the poster who seems to think Oregon will be very close. It won't be. Sanders' margin won't be what it was in WA, but the PNW is still a very pro-Sanders region.

Uh, just out of curiosity, what makes you think the PNW is a "very pro-Sanders region"? Yes it's like 99% white (and I admit that's arguably that's been the best predictor of Sanders' vote) but Washington and Oregon both have some of the most moderate elected Democrats in the country. The PNW Democratic Parties aren't exactly a bastion of Sanders-style liberalism in the way that, say, the Wisconsin Democratic Party is (Tammy Baldwin, Russ Feingold, ect.) It's also, again, a closed primary, a format that Sanders has done badly in so far.

I'd like to stress that I wouldn't be surprised if he won Oregon -- I'm just saying that I don't expect it to be a blowout, and I don't think the result of an open caucus in Washington tells us much about how Oregon will vote using a completely different format.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies