Atlasian Reincorporation Act (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:17:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasian Reincorporation Act (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlasian Reincorporation Act (Debating)  (Read 769 times)
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 22, 2016, 11:46:53 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Senator Potus
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 12:11:04 PM »

I like this bill, but I wish to hear more from its author.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 07:12:10 PM »

It's possible that I'm misinterpreting this, but wouldn't "federal labor laws" mean all federal regulations of workplace safety, the minimum wage, etc.? Whether or not the employer is a "foreign" business, the workers themselves are Atlasian citizens. They shouldn't be stripped of their legal rights just because they work at a Toyota plant instead of a Ford plant. Not only that, wouldn't exempting foreign companies from paying their workers minimum wage give them an unfair advantage over domestic businesses?

I can't condone exempting foreign companies from paying federal taxes either: if a firm is benefiting from Atlasian infrastructure, Atlasian free markets, and the highly educated Atlasian workforce, they should have to pay to support those things. We can't afford to be handing out free benefits to businesses in Beijing and Tokyo.

The clause on investments seems fair - since these aren't actually Atlasian businesses, it makes sense for them to be able to move money from foreign country X to foreign country Y without interference from our government. I'm not sure about the financial disclosure laws - could someone explain what this would mean in practice?
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 08:19:52 PM »

Your entire post is kind of based on my bill not being sufficiently clear on one crucial point.

This isn't supposed to be a "come home" bill. The provisions apply to corporations which claim us on their taxes, not foreign corporations operating in Atlasia. This is supposed to support more head quartering, etc.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 09:48:46 PM »

Your entire post is kind of based on my bill not being sufficiently clear on one crucial point.

This isn't supposed to be a "come home" bill. The provisions apply to corporations which claim us on their taxes, not foreign corporations operating in Atlasia. This is supposed to support more head quartering, etc.
Okay... so, to make sure I understand, this bill would allow the Regions to exempt corporations that are headquartered in Atlasia, but who don't actually employ Atlasians or make anything within our borders, from complying with federal labor standards or paying federal taxes? For example, a Japanese auto manufacturer whose factories are all in Japan, but whose executives live/work in Atlasia, would be exempt from the specified regulations under this bill?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 11:12:52 AM »

I'd like to hear more from Senator Potus about why the Senate should pass this bill. Is the purpose to encourage more businesses to be based here?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 03:20:43 PM »

I request the second part be replaced with an amount charged by the region, perhaps with maybe a tenth or a fourth of it going to the federal government. I don't intend to support funding the federal government through fair trade, at least in my region, and I ask all regional Senators to consider this.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 04:37:15 PM »

I request the second part be replaced with an amount charged by the region, perhaps with maybe a tenth or a fourth of it going to the federal government. I don't intend to support funding the federal government through fair trade, at least in my region, and I ask all regional Senators to consider this.

I, for one, am interested in the prospect of regional self-determination on this matter.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies