Philippine General (Presidential, Congress and Local) Elections - May 9, 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:31:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Philippine General (Presidential, Congress and Local) Elections - May 9, 2016
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Philippine General (Presidential, Congress and Local) Elections - May 9, 2016  (Read 9239 times)
Former Lincoln Assemblyman & Lt. Gov. RGN
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix
E: 2.31, S: 4.47

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 22, 2016, 12:09:44 PM »

Any opinions about the upcoming May 9 elections in the Philippines?

I would just like to get or see your opinions about the issues, candidates, platforms, etc.
reciprocity
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 04:46:21 PM »

I just think it is tragic that someone can reminisce over rape and not see any decline in polling and can still be the leading candidate.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 02:07:30 AM »

The Philippines has truly one of the worst electoral systems I have ever encountered. Who was responsible for this monstrosity? I presume America was.

For all intents and purposes, the presidential race is a four-way tie. What a disaster.
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 06:27:36 AM »

The Philippines has truly one of the worst electoral systems I have ever encountered. Who was responsible for this monstrosity? I presume America was.

For all intents and purposes, the presidential race is a four-way tie. What a disaster.
I don't think so America is responsible. After the Americans gave independence to the Filipinos in 1946, it was a two-party system when it comes to elections. Now, after the Marcos years, there were a lot of political parties.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 02:42:42 PM »

Lol Marcos Jr is winning in the Vice Presidential race.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 07:03:37 PM »

Can we just burn Mindanao?
Derpist
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 11:11:14 PM »

I don't think so America is responsible. After the Americans gave independence to the Filipinos in 1946, it was a two-party system when it comes to elections. Now, after the Marcos years, there were a lot of political parties.

What's absurd is that there are so many political parties in a first-past-the-post system. Duverger is rolling in his grade. Fidel Ramos won his election with 23% of the vote!

Luckily, it seems Duterte is pulling away with the race, so maybe the system works after all.
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 03:27:58 AM »

What's absurd is that there are so many political parties in a first-past-the-post system. Duverger is rolling in his grade. Fidel Ramos won his election with 23% of the vote!

Luckily, it seems Duterte is pulling away with the race, so maybe the system works after all.
Yes, he's like a teflon on the polls. Unharmed.
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 10:47:15 AM »

8 days left before the election!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 07:34:38 AM »

There are a few Muslims there, so no.
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 09:23:04 AM »

Especially on the southernmost part, also known as Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao.
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 09:24:38 AM »

Question: There is a presidential candidate, which you may have already heard about because of his "controversial" remarks/jokes, Mayor Rodrigo Duterte of Davao City, who promotes the idea of Federalism. What will be your stance about the Philippines being a federal country.
Derpist
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 09:23:46 AM »

Question: There is a presidential candidate, which you may have already heard about because of his "controversial" remarks/jokes, Mayor Rodrigo Duterte of Davao City, who promotes the idea of Federalism. What will be your stance about the Philippines being a federal country.

Almost certainly a good idea. The Philippines is a very large, very diverse country - the type of place where you want to go federal.

Duterte almost sounds too amazing to be true.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 09:35:28 AM »

Almost certainly a good idea. The Philippines is a very large, very diverse country - the type of place where you want to go federal.

Duterte almost sounds too amazing to be true.

If a country is large and diverse, you want a strong federal government to keep it from breaking apart/keep the Muslims from turning the Muslim majority parts into a fundamentalist hellhole.
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 12:30:30 PM »

Duterte leads by 12 points in latest poll.
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2016, 07:22:20 AM »
« Edited: May 08, 2016, 08:59:30 PM by Governor RGN (Fed-NY) »

If I'm not mistaken. The final poll shows that Davao City Mayor Rody Duterte is leading in the presidential race by 11 points. Meanwhile, in the VP race, Sen. Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. and Rep. Leni Robredo are in a dead heat.

Initial and Unofficial results will be available by evening, Philippine Standard Time tomorrow, May 9
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2016, 07:34:20 PM »

My family and I are very, very scared. The appeal of Duterte is baffling to us, and Marcos, Jr. is even more baffling, though that might be because my father served in the military during the last years of the Marcos regime, so we might be a little biased.

/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2016, 09:01:33 PM »

This is really, really sad. I wish Roxas or at least Poe could somehow pull of an upset, but that seems basically impossible at this point.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2016, 09:36:07 PM »

This is really, really sad. I wish Roxas or at least Poe could somehow pull of an upset, but that seems basically impossible at this point.

For some reason Roxas always leads in D' Strafford polls.
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2016, 10:12:22 PM »

For some reason Roxas always leads in D' Strafford polls.
Some columnists/blogger are discrediting the poll. I also, when I looked at their twitter page (D'Strafford).
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2016, 10:15:26 PM »

I hate Roxas, due to his "little mishaps" as Interior Secretary. And Poe, due to her short experience in politics, also with her issue/controversy regarding her and her family's American citizenship. I liked the idea of Philippines embracing federalism. Duterte's law and order platform also made me to support him
Derpist
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 12:24:08 AM »

I am oddly emotionally invested in the triumph of Duterte despite having no family ties to the Philippines or really any nation in that vicinity whatsoever.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 12:45:08 AM »

Well, Duterte is a pretty ridiculous kind of awful (and the Philippine system of giving the recipient of even a small plurality the total win is also ridiculous and awful), but at least this country has a recent history of removing the President when he gets too big for his britches. EDSA IV, anyone?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2016, 01:11:38 AM »

I want Poe to win because she is the only candidate opposed to letting the Muslims establish a regional dictatorship.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2016, 03:03:24 AM »

Well, Duterte is a pretty ridiculous kind of awful (and the Philippine system of giving the recipient of even a small plurality the total win is also ridiculous and awful), but at least this country has a recent history of removing the President when he gets too big for his britches. EDSA IV, anyone?

I am willing to bet that if Duterte wins we get an EDSA IV within four years. The sad part is that if EDSA IV or any other event occurs that removes him from office, we probably get President Ferdinand Marcos Jr., which is frankly far worse.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies