Kasich interview with The Washington Post editorial board
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:27:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Kasich interview with The Washington Post editorial board
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kasich interview with The Washington Post editorial board  (Read 491 times)
yankeesfan
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 22, 2016, 12:53:54 PM »

On Birthright Citizenship amendment:

LEE HOCKSTADER, EDITORIAL WRITER:  You mentioned your bombast years in Washington, and during those bombast years, one of the things you were bombastic about was favoring a constitutional amendment to end birthright citizenship for illegal immigrants.

KASICH:  Yes.

HOCKSTADER:  You’ve changed on that completely.

KASICH:  I don’t know why I signed – and look–

HOCKSTADER:  And one thing that you’ve said to the Columbus Dispatch was that you’ve changed because you said you’ve grown up in this job, talking about being governor of Ohio, and that you’re not the man you used to be. What was the

KASICH:  No, I am the man I used to be. It’s just like, I mean, birthright citizenship, I probably signed onto some bill. It’s like, who cares? You’re a congressman. Sometimes you sign on, you’ve got all this stuff coming across your desk, let’s not get over serious about this. It never passed. So you know–

HOCKSTADER:  But you’ve changed 180 degrees. What made you–?

KASICH:  Look, back then, I didn’t understand probably the implications of birthright citizens. Somebody probably walked up to me on the floor and said, “How about putting your name on this?” I said, “Oh, sure, you’ll vote for my budget?” I mean, you know, don’t get all carried —

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2016/04/20/a-transcript-of-john-kasichs-interview-with-the-washington-post-editorial-board/

A true Lincoln Chafee moment.  Worse than Bernie's interview with the Daily News.

BundouYMB

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 12:59:22 PM »

This actually makes me like Kasich. He's being totally honest and doesn't look stupid in any way here.

He got people to vote for stuff he cared about and that mattered, like the budget, by signing onto something else he didn't support? That's how politics works. And, in this case, since there was a 0% chance of this birthright citizenship nonsense ever becoming law it was very, very good politics for Kasich.
swf541

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 12:59:33 PM »

Wow, that is extremely bad, he somehow surpassed Chafee's comments or the Sanders interview.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 01:44:07 PM »

Wow, that is extremely bad, he somehow surpassed Chafee's comments or the Sanders interview.

It sort of sounds like he is saying he has no idea what he is signing half the time. Kasich is really putting on a "I don't care"-kinda attitude lately.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 01:58:03 PM »

Disjointed city. Katich would suck as a lawyer.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 02:03:57 PM »

For anyone interested the full (very long) transcript of the Kasich interview with the Washington Post, it can be found here:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2016/04/20/a-transcript-of-john-kasichs-interview-with-the-washington-post-editorial-board/

If you have the time, and you still seriously put Trump and Cruz in the same category as Kasich, it's worth a read.

Let me just make a few general comments:

1. Kasich agreed to make all this on the record and answered all the tough questions from WaPo.  Compare that to Trump who does not even want his interview with the NY Times public to avoid looking incompetent and flip flopping.

2. If you read the whole interview two things become apparent.  One, Kasich is a very knowledgable individual who knows his stuff and has concrete plans, based on a conservative platform.  Secondly, as much as you may try, you will NOT be able to imagine either Trump or Cruz giving even 50% of the answers in the interview.  To quote Jonathan Capeheart of WaPo (who is no fan of Kasich):

"...Ohio Gov. John Kasich was the only one who could give Hillary Clinton a serious run for her money. Wednesday morning, Kasich perfectly demonstrated why.  In a GOP primary contest defined by racism, xenophobia and a reliance on slogans masquerading as policy, Kasich debated the issues with my editorial board colleagues with knowledge and conviction. Over the course of 90 riveting minutes, he thrust and parried on his economic plan, wages, illegal immigration, Syrian refugees, climate change and voter identification laws....A Kasich vs. Clinton match-up would be one for the ages. Two distinct visions of the country from opposite ends of the political spectrum articulated by two smart and passionate candidates. A Kasich general election candidacy would signal a GOP getting serious about what it stands for, about how it would govern this country, about winning....That Kasich cannot gain any traction is a pity for his party — and a boon for Clinton."
standwrand
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.55, S: -2.74

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 02:24:24 PM »

Kasich is awesome, but he seems to be kind of putting on a Feb. era Jeb! attitude lately.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 02:46:28 PM »

A Kasich vs. Clinton match-up would be one for the ages. Two distinct visions of the country from opposite ends of the political spectrum

Hahahahahahahaha
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 02:57:32 PM »

It sort of sounds like he is saying he has no idea what he is signing half the time. Kasich is really putting on a "I don't care"-kinda attitude lately.

This is John Kasich's campaign: https://youtu.be/WzmTOCFnMgg

My name is John, and I'm 63 years old, and I don't care what my party says, I'm GONNA be president. I will do WHATEVER it takes to be president, if I have to steal it at the RNC, then so be it. I'm gonna fill the convention with all mah delegates, and if I can't win it, then I guess I'm gonna still it.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 03:26:42 PM »

This is John Kasich's campaign: https://youtu.be/WzmTOCFnMgg

My name is JohnHillary, and I'm 63 68 years old, and I don't care what the progressive wing of my party says, I'm GONNA be president. I will do WHATEVER it takes to be president, if I have to steal it at the DRNC, then so be it. I'm gonna fill the convention with all mah Superdelegates, and if I can't win it, then I guess I'm gonna still it.

Fixed it for you! Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies