London Mayor goes on angry rant against Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:43:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  London Mayor goes on angry rant against Obama
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: London Mayor goes on angry rant against Obama  (Read 999 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 22, 2016, 02:26:42 PM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/boris-johnson-obama-kenyan-222303

Will it have any consequences?
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 03:07:38 PM »

Probably not; the people offended by this will mostly be firm Bremainers and the people impressed by this will mostly be firm Brexiters.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 05:13:27 PM »

Going to be great for the pro-Brexit side. No electorate likes it when a condescending imperial Washington tells them how to vote.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 10:06:26 PM »

No, Obama is out in November and Johnson is out next month (got elected MP last year, so retiring from mayorship, but he may rise in Cabinet soon).
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 05:36:35 AM »

Going to be great for the pro-Brexit side. No electorate likes it when a condescending imperial Washington tells them how to vote.

Not likely to have that much impact really. Although, incidentally, Obama has a 72% approval rating in the UK, so people probably will respect what he has to say.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 09:29:28 AM »

Obama is still popular in the UK; certainly more than Boris is.  Had it been someone with the popularity of Bush in his last year in office saying that then I'd agree with you, but not Obama who people still respect.  Hell, I'm pretty sure that if you polled Tory voters and gave them the option of Obama or either of the three Republican presidential candidates they'd prefer Obama: the only one that I'd be a little unsure of is Kasich but he's irrelevant and doesn't matter.

I think that Boris's remarks won't help him in the future; its the sort of nasty dog-whistle stuff that hopefully won't be allowed to become common place in British politics, at least to the extent that it seems to be in America.  Its not going to affect the referendum much though; although I'm in Scotland where referendum stuff is playing second fiddle to the parliament elections at the moment so it could be different in other places.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 11:25:07 AM »

Not surprising at all oncr you take into consideration that BoJo is Trump's long lost cousin
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 02:29:20 PM »

It's not going to happen, but I'm really hoping that this referendum brings down Johnson's reputation.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 02:56:22 PM »

Obama is still popular in the UK; certainly more than Boris is.  Had it been someone with the popularity of Bush in his last year in office saying that then I'd agree with you, but not Obama who people still respect. 

I suspect that by virtue of not living in the US and having less chances to interact with US leaders, foreign perceptions of domestic leaders swing much more rapidly on the times when they do interact. Our opinion of domestic leaders are cooked far stronger in than our opinion of foreign leaders.

I wouldn't be surprised of Obama's favorables in the UK took a very nasty tumble after this.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 07:09:22 PM »

Boris is right on this. Too bad he praised Obama as the second coming in 2008 and 2012.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 07:17:08 PM »

Does the mayor of London always hate the US President? The previous mayor was not a big Bush fan.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 11:09:10 AM »

Does the mayor of London always hate the US President? The previous mayor was not a big Bush fan.

Given that he was the only other mayor of London then yes.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies