WaPo: The ‘Never Trump’ movement had the Worst Week in Washington
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:13:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  WaPo: The ‘Never Trump’ movement had the Worst Week in Washington
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: WaPo: The ‘Never Trump’ movement had the Worst Week in Washington  (Read 1134 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 23, 2016, 11:42:00 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Article.
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 01:11:55 PM »

The "Never Trump" folks and people like George Will and the dipsh**s at National Review have to pray that Trump is not the GOP's next Reagan.  They are now invested in his failure, because if he makes the country great again they will be exposed as frauds.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 03:12:07 PM »

Ok, herein lies the problem: saying "Never Trump" doesn't actually indicate who you'd be for. Would a "Never Trump" person be just as happy voting for Hillary Clinton, or Bernie Sanders, or simply sitting on their thumbs? I really wonder if "Never Trump" slowly morphs into "Well, Maybe Trump To Avoid Clinton". If the Dems are better/faster at getting behind their eventual winner than the GOP, it will not bode well for the GOP come November.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 05:04:55 PM »

Ok, herein lies the problem: saying "Never Trump" doesn't actually indicate who you'd be for. Would a "Never Trump" person be just as happy voting for Hillary Clinton, or Bernie Sanders, or simply sitting on their thumbs? I really wonder if "Never Trump" slowly morphs into "Well, Maybe Trump To Avoid Clinton". If the Dems are better/faster at getting behind their eventual winner than the GOP, it will not bode well for the GOP come November.

That's the problem. The Georgetown/Manhattan conservatives make up a small fraction of the American elite. Like, there are literally maybe a few thousand of them in the entire country, they just happen to be all the people who write columns in NYT/WSJ/NRO and write big checks to the GOP.

Most Republicans who didn't vote for Trump in the primary will still vote for him in the general election. Why? Because he's their party's nominee and they hate Hillary Clinton. They don't care if Trump isn't an Edmund Burke/Lord Acton conservative.

People like Vosem are the exception to the rule, despite his protestations to the contrary. If you are involved in politics as a college student, you are not the norm, you are not the grassroots, you are not some ordinary salt-of-the-earth American. (To start with, most American adults never attended a four-year college to begin with.)
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 05:25:05 PM »

The "Never Trump" folks and people like George Will and the dipsh**s at National Review have to pray that Trump is not the GOP's next Reagan.  They are now invested in his failure, because if he makes the country great again they will be exposed as frauds.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 05:32:12 PM »

It'll all be over soon enough.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 05:46:48 PM »

Fargobison

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 05:51:56 PM »

I doubt they are losing much sleep over it.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 05:58:16 PM »

then they should have no reason to worry Smiley
dax00

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 06:04:44 PM »

Trump, if he were to become pres and play his cards exactly right, could severely damage the globalist cause Cheesy That's why they're scared.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 11:23:21 PM »

Something to note.   In 64' with Goldwater Nixon and Reagan stuck with him to the end and was later awarded for it (both became pres) meanwhile the neverforces Romney etc.. got nothing out of it. 
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 11:37:10 PM »

Eh, this will probably be my last year as a Republican anyways.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2016, 11:39:40 PM »

Why?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2016, 11:47:26 PM »

Probably because neither strongman populism nor Dominionist theocracy are amenable to libertarians.
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2016, 11:48:25 PM »

Something to note.   In 64' with Goldwater Nixon and Reagan stuck with him to the end and was later awarded for it (both became pres) meanwhile the neverforces Romney etc.. got nothing out of it. 
Great point.  
As Nixon told Pat Buchanan, if a movement to stop "X" ever comes about, always put your money on "X" to win.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2016, 12:02:51 AM »
« Edited: April 24, 2016, 12:08:06 AM by #TheShadowyAbyss »

Probably because neither strongman populism nor Dominionist theocracy are amenable to libertarians.

That and the fact that both Trump and Cruz are proposing legislation and policy that will severely harm my community and I cannot reconcile that with my beliefs and the fact that these two are getting around seventy 75% of the vote has for all intents and purposes discourage me from the Republican Party entirely I was fine with Romney in 2012 even though I absolutely did not like his views they were at least amendable for me but there's no way in hell I'm going to vote for Trump or Cruz. Oh well it was fun while it lasted.

I mean, I practically have explained this before multiple times.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2016, 12:11:27 AM »

That and the fact that both Trump and Cruz are proposing legislation and policy that will severely harm my community and I cannot reconcile that with my beliefs and the fact that these two are getting around seventy 75% of the vote has for all intents and purposes discourage me from the Republican Party entirely I was fine with Romney in 2012 even though I absolutely did not like his views they were at least amendable for me but there's no way in hell I'm going to vote for Trump or Cruz. Oh well it was fun while it lasted.

I mean, I practically have explained this before multiple times.

LibRep, hate to lose you. Still time enough for you to reconsider.
Trump is not proposing any legislation or policy that would target any particular race or religion. Just watch him and follow closely the things he says next and you will see.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2016, 12:45:09 AM »

The Hilldawg big tent welcomes you with open arms. Wink
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2016, 02:49:34 AM »

He is not going Hilldawg's way. Smiley
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2016, 03:00:11 AM »

He is not going Hilldawg's way. Smiley

Yeah, never will vote for her either LOL
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2016, 05:02:13 AM »

The future post Trump actually looks better for Libertarians within the GOP on both social issues and foreign policy than it has in decades. Of course on economics, the opposite will be the case.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2016, 10:29:53 AM »

Cohesion is key, and that's what the anti-Trumpsters lack sorely.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2016, 10:33:09 AM »

"Trumping" everything else is that hideous most recent CA poll. If it is even somewhat accurate, Trump will get the nomination on the first ballot, and the GOP will splinter, and Hillary will win decisively. The rest is noise, when it comes to bad news for the forces of sanity in the GOP.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2016, 11:17:36 AM »

I think, this is a very easy bet to make. As easy as betting he is not the next Mother Theresa or Grandma Moses.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2016, 11:20:35 AM »

Lyin' Ted stealing the election in Colorado, North Dakota and Wyoming has permanently damaged his campaign.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies