WI: Bill Clinton as a Republican?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:16:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  WI: Bill Clinton as a Republican?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WI: Bill Clinton as a Republican?  (Read 951 times)
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 23, 2016, 01:09:13 PM »

Former President Bill Clinton has been criticized from the left for his conservative policies as President, like DOMA, welfare reform, deregulation of the financial sector, free trade agreements, and tough-on-crime legislation. What if Clinton had become a Republican at some point prior to his presidency? Would he still have run for President? How well would he have done?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 01:36:03 PM »

I expect we would have something like:
1993-2001: Albert Gore/Joseph Lieberman
2001-2009: William Clinton/John McCain

Obviously no 2008 recession occurs, but depending on when another Democrat is elected, I'd say there's probably a recession in 2010 or 2013.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 01:40:32 PM »

Even funnier if Hillary Rodham (Clinton) remains a Goldwater-ite and they end up fighting for the Republican nomination. Cheesy
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 09:04:06 PM »

Bump
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 09:14:24 PM »

Even funnier if Hillary Rodham (Clinton) remains a Goldwater-ite and they end up fighting for the Republican nomination. Cheesy
Maybe Representative Hillary Reagan? She could meet Michael Reagan on the Goldwater campaign. Or maybe Michael Goldwater. Either way it would be pretty ironic.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 10:14:38 PM »

I think he'd have a tougher time building a political career as a Republican in 1970s Arkansas at a time when the state was mostly Democratic.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 10:33:22 PM »

I think he'd have a tougher time building a political career as a Republican in 1970s Arkansas at a time when the state was mostly Democratic.
The Rockefellers did it pretty easily. I can see Clinton building a similar coalition.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2023, 02:24:05 AM »

I could actually see Clinton still winning the Governor's Mansion in 1978, with the Republican bench non-existent and the Democrats' spot still wide open. If not then, Republiclinton is elected statewide in the 1980s. Even more interesting is how the 1990s political climate changes without a Democrat President Clinton- my guess is President Paul Tsongas, who's given the unenviable task of picking a running mate to appease the economic left and the South (black and Yellow Dog). Common sense says Vice President Dick Gephardt, but I think he picks someone better able to tack to the right to compliment his agenda- Joe Biden. Clinton sits out 1996 with the country mourning the late Tsongas, who dies earlier with the added stress, but jumps in for 2000 on the advice of his Beltway Insider running mate, Senator Rodham.

President Joe Biden (D-DE) / Vice President Joe Lieberman (D-CT)
Governor Bill Clinton (R-AR) / Senator Hillary Rodham (R-IL) ✓
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2023, 02:28:11 AM »

I could actually see Clinton still winning the Governor's Mansion in 1978, with the Republican bench non-existent and the Democrats' spot still wide open. If not then, Republiclinton is elected statewide in the 1980s. Even more interesting is how the 1990s political climate changes without a Democrat President Clinton- my guess is President Paul Tsongas, who's given the unenviable task of picking a running mate to appease the economic left and the South (black and Yellow Dog). Common sense says Vice President Dick Gephardt, but I think he picks someone better able to tack to the right to compliment his agenda- Joe Biden. Clinton sits out 1996 with the country mourning the late Tsongas, who dies earlier with the added stress, but jumps in for 2000 on the advice of his Beltway Insider running mate, Senator Rodham.

President Joe Biden (D-DE) / Vice President Joe Lieberman (D-CT)
Governor Bill Clinton (R-AR) / Senator Hillary Rodham (R-IL) ✓

I have to object to Hillary and Bill not being married in this universe. I have to imagine that if they were both Republicans, they'd still marry each other.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies