Austin tries to rename elementary school: goes poorly
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:13:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Austin tries to rename elementary school: goes poorly
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Austin tries to rename elementary school: goes poorly  (Read 3438 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2016, 09:48:46 PM »

I'd have voted for James Earl Ray Elementary. Seemed to be the most original of those given, though the Adam Lanza one was classic too.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2016, 11:06:21 PM »

Just looked through the full list. Other highlights include:

Generic School Name
Kanye West Elementary
Kim Il-Sung High School
Lil Jon Elementary
Orenthal James Simpson Elementary
Raul Castro Elementary
Rudolf Hess Primary
Vladimir Ilyich Lenin Elementary School

Oh man...these had me in tearms.

I think with such a diverse list, how about they combine some of the elements:

Like the 'Rudolf Hess and Lil Jon school of Leninism'

The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2016, 11:12:48 PM »

Also, the sneaky 'Leopold II' elementary was pretty brutal.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2016, 05:53:50 AM »

Also, the sneaky 'Leopold II' elementary was pretty brutal.

Especially the jungle gym on the playground, I bet.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2016, 11:15:39 AM »

Schooly McSchoolface gets my vote.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2016, 05:11:24 AM »

Just got renamed. Sadly, none of the actually good suggestions were chosen; it was instead renamed Russell Lee Elementary.
dax00

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2016, 05:27:25 AM »

Awww, I was holding out on Kim Il-Sung High School, because if you can't do high school work at an elementary school age, you know...
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2016, 03:50:57 PM »

Robert E. Lee was the greatest American general in history and deserves much more respect than he's given these days. Instead of whitewashing history into what makes people feel good, history should be preserved in a fair, even-handed way.
Did you go to Benedict Arnold High School by any chance or do you just like traitorous scum?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2016, 04:23:43 PM »

Robert E. Lee was the greatest American general in history and deserves much more respect than he's given these days. Instead of whitewashing history into what makes people feel good, history should be preserved in a fair, even-handed way.
Lee opposed slavery more than some unionists did. However, he put Virginia first and foremost. I don't know that I can fault him that.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2016, 04:29:04 PM »

Or even the "William T. Sherman Elementary School", with a burning Confederate flag out front.

Sounds good to me.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2016, 04:48:19 PM »
« Edited: May 24, 2016, 04:50:13 PM by Santander »

Did you go to Benedict Arnold High School by any chance or do you just like traitorous scum?
Regardless of what you think about the Civil War, Lee was a great general, and as mentioned by Kingpoleon, was simply loyal to Virginia before the Union, which was a common attitude at the time. In my opinion, and those of many non-Southern historians, Lee was a greater general than Winfield Scott, Ulysses Grant, or any other general that fought under the US flag.

And yes, since I was born British, I've always considered Benedict Arnold to be a hero.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2016, 07:54:09 PM »

Regardless of what you think about the Civil War, Lee was a great general, and as mentioned by Kingpoleon, was simply loyal to Virginia before the Union, which was a common attitude at the time. In my opinion, and those of many non-Southern historians, Lee was a greater general than Winfield Scott, Ulysses Grant, or any other general that fought under the US flag.

And yes, since I was born British, I've always considered Benedict Arnold to be a hero.
There are a lot of great generals and military leaders the United States have opposed. Doesn't mean we should name a school after one of them
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2016, 09:10:13 PM »

Hahaha, no. He wasn't the best, he was facing off against incompetents. Once he faced actually competent generals, he didn't do so well. He was also not Confederate Jesus, he was the last gasp of the Southron slaveholding aristocrats.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2016, 09:11:28 PM »

Rename it to "Abraham Lincoln Elementary School" or "Frederick Douglass Elementary School". I love the smell of neo-Confederate tears.

Or even the "William T. Sherman Elementary School", with a burning Confederate flag out front.

Also, even though the new name has already been chosen, I like these ideas.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2016, 09:38:39 PM »

Just got renamed. Sadly, none of the actually good suggestions were chosen; it was instead renamed Russell Lee Elementary.

One of the great photographers of the Depression-Era South and West, and one with a connection to Austin.   Excellent choice.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2016, 10:03:44 PM »

Other then the fact he engineered the killing of tens of thousands of soldiers of the UNITED States of America.

He's basically John Lindh Walker with regional nostalgia. A traitor who served a genocidal cause.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2016, 12:31:39 AM »

Yeah, Russell Lee is a very good choice, and he's actually an Austinite. Unlike Robert E. Lee who I doubt ever even set foot in Texas. It's bizarre that there was a school named after him in Austin in the first place.
Gary J
United Kingdom
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2016, 08:26:56 AM »

Yeah, Russell Lee is a very good choice, and he's actually an Austinite. Unlike Robert E. Lee who I doubt ever even set foot in Texas. It's bizarre that there was a school named after him in Austin in the first place.

The Wikipedia article on John Brown's raid on Harpers Ferry mentions a Texas connection for Robert E. Lee.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2016, 09:06:21 AM »

Robert E. Lee is probably the only Confederate figure I'm willing to defend. Now, had this been Stonewall Jackson or Jefferson Davis, I would've been fine with them removing the name.

Stonewall Jackson stays too.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2016, 02:24:16 PM »

Robert E. Lee is probably the only Confederate figure I'm willing to defend. Now, had this been Stonewall Jackson or Jefferson Davis, I would've been fine with them removing the name.

Why not a Rommel High School? After all, they both killed American soldiers.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2016, 02:36:21 PM »

Mythos Rommel History Magnet School
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2016, 09:30:20 PM »

How about rename it to Jefferson Davis Elementary School?  That would be a great blow to the PC crowd. Smiley

YEAH!  Name a school after a treasonous, slavery-supporting piece of shlt because the "PC crowd" will hate it!!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2016, 09:50:36 PM »

Santander is a racist, you see.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2016, 11:31:22 PM »

A Union General's middle name and an Union ironclad were both named after a famous Shawnee Chief who aided the British in the War of 1812. 

I don't think many people really believe killing American soldiers is the issue with Jackson and Lee.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2016, 01:17:24 AM »

Oh man, Willie Nelson Elementary.

I mean, he is from TX. It could work.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies