Austin tries to rename elementary school: goes poorly
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:17:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Austin tries to rename elementary school: goes poorly
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Austin tries to rename elementary school: goes poorly  (Read 3442 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2016, 01:28:28 AM »

Robert E. Lee is probably the only Confederate figure I'm willing to defend. Now, had this been Stonewall Jackson or Jefferson Davis, I would've been fine with them removing the name.

Stonewall Jackson stays too.

Why not a Rommel High School? After all, they both killed American soldiers.

A Union General's middle name and an Union ironclad were both named after a famous Shawnee Chief who aided the British in the War of 1812. 

I don't think many people really believe killing American soldiers is the issue with Jackson and Lee.

Well, no. It's the fundamental and what should be the undisputed injustice of the Confederate cause and the enormous black mark on our history as a nation that secession to preserve the peculiar institution represents.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2016, 07:57:02 PM »

Why not a Rommel High School? After all, they both killed American soldiers.

So did Ulysses Grant.

38 U.S. Code § 1501:
"For the purposes of this chapter—
(3) The term “Civil War veteranincludes a person who served in the military or naval forces of the Confederate States of America during the Civil War, and the term “active military or naval service” includes active service in those forces."

38 U.S. Code § 2306:
"(a) The Secretary shall furnish, when requested, appropriate Government headstones or markers at the expense of the United States for the unmarked graves of the following:
(3) Soldiers of the Union and Confederate Armies of the Civil War."

72 Stat. 133:
"The Administrator shall pay to each person who served in the military or naval forces of the Confederate States of America during the Civil War a monthly pension in the same amounts and subject to the same conditions as would have been applicable to such person under the laws in effect on December 31, 1957, if his service in such forces had been service in the military or naval service of the United States."

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/38/1501
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/38/2306
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/STATUTE-72/pdf/STATUTE-72-Pg133-2.pdf
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2016, 12:15:23 AM »

I suppose this is part of the continued anti-confederate fallout that has been developing over the past year or so, but still pretty funny.

I've got some news for you the anti-confederate movement has been going strong since 1861.  People tend not to like traitorous scum.

Robert E. Lee was the greatest American general in history and deserves much more respect than he's given these days.

Yes if you are good at killing people for all the wrong reasons you deserve respect.

Got to love how some of the suggestions were clearly submitted by people who are salty about Robert E. Lee being removed from the name.

Doesn't explain Boaty McBoatFace

Yeah.  I love the slavery apologists that see this as proof General Lee was right in being a traitor and defending slavery.

Simpler explanation is General Lee was a scumbag and the internet is the internet and will continue to operate as such.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2016, 01:13:00 AM »

Robert E. Lee is probably the only Confederate figure I'm willing to defend. Now, had this been Stonewall Jackson or Jefferson Davis, I would've been fine with them removing the name.

Stonewall Jackson stays too.

Your lack of patriotism for the United States of America and its fighting forces is appalling.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies