2017: NJ Gubernatorial/legislative elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:55:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2017: NJ Gubernatorial/legislative elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 26
Author Topic: 2017: NJ Gubernatorial/legislative elections  (Read 64933 times)
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: March 10, 2017, 11:22:36 PM »

This is a D state regardless.
houseonaboat
Rookie
« Reply #176 on: March 15, 2017, 11:09:19 AM »

Murphy won the Working Families Alliance endorsement (like New York's WFP, but not a formal political party).
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #177 on: March 15, 2017, 12:10:30 PM »

Murphy won the Working Families Alliance endorsement (like New York's WFP, but not a formal political party).
Congratulations Governor Murphy.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #178 on: March 15, 2017, 01:10:08 PM »

Congratulations Governor Murphy.
Kingofearth
« Reply #179 on: March 15, 2017, 07:33:53 PM »

Any group that would endorse a Goldman Sacks guy to be the Democratic nominee is clearly a group that shouldn't be taken seriously.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #180 on: March 18, 2017, 10:15:22 AM »

Joe Piscopo will not run for governor as a Republican, he will most likely run as an Independent.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/03/its_official_piscopo_wont_run_as_a_republican_as_a.html#incart_river_home
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #181 on: March 18, 2017, 11:21:37 AM »

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #182 on: March 18, 2017, 02:13:18 PM »

Do you see any chance Murphy picks Wisniewski as his lieutenant governor running mate after the June 6 primary? Or does he choose someone from South Jersey? (There is a North-South Jersey political divide in N.J.)
houseonaboat
Rookie
« Reply #183 on: March 18, 2017, 02:28:02 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2017, 02:32:15 PM by houseonaboat »

Do you see any chance Murphy picks Wisniewski as his lieutenant governor running mate after the June 6 primary? Or does he choose someone from South Jersey? (There is a North-South Jersey political divide in N.J.)

He'll likely pick Shavonda Sumter.

Addendum, by the way: Jim Johnson is appearing on Joy Reid's show tomorrow. He's sharing the spotlight with Perriello and Gillum but I think he's pushing to make this primary as national as Perriello's is.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #184 on: March 18, 2017, 02:34:29 PM »

He'll likely pick Shavonda Sumter.

Addendum, by the way: Jim Johnson is appearing on Joy Reid's show tomorrow. He's sharing the spotlight with Perriello and Gillum (and Reid is a hack, Johnson's only appearing on the show because his wife and Joy are good friends) but I think he's pushing to make this primary as national as Perriello's is.

I like Assemblywoman Sumter and Jim Johnson. If Wisniewski doesn't get his campaign in order, it is possible Johnson can be 2nd place to Murphy in June and Wisniewski and Lesniak far behind.

Johnson would be a good future Senate candidate down the road.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #185 on: March 18, 2017, 03:51:19 PM »

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #186 on: March 18, 2017, 08:17:41 PM »

If Piscopo runs third party he'll get less than 5% of the vote. unsurprisingly, a stupid move for him. Running in the GOP primary would've given him a chance against Christie's No.2.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #187 on: March 19, 2017, 02:34:01 PM »

If Piscopo runs third party he'll get less than 5% of the vote. unsurprisingly, a stupid move for him. Running in the GOP primary would've given him a chance against Christie's No.2.

I do find this odd, since he would have been the only pro-Trump candidate for Governor in a republican primary electorate thats very pro-Trump. I think Piscopo is convinced that Guadagno will win the nom, and he thought by running as an Indie, he can run against both the Christie admin. and the Democrats in one go.

I have no clue how well he would do, but if he runs a very Trumpian campaign, I can see him getting 10-12% of the vote (but nothing higher than that).
houseonaboat
Rookie
« Reply #188 on: March 19, 2017, 03:25:50 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2017, 03:28:49 PM by houseonaboat »

NJ Posters: How would you rate the LD-2 races with the shakeup from Mazzeo's gaffe? Is Chris Brown favored to flip the seat for R's (that'd be a rare bright spot for them in what look to be an otherwise terrible year for them, with them expected to lose Diane Allen's seat, the Governorship/LG, and a few Assembly seats)? I know some people on RRH and DKE think that it's a likely R pickup now, but I'm not so sure. The district has a 10-point D registration advantage, went overwhelmingly for Obama and Clinton, Murphy is likely to romp there, and Dem turnout will probably be higher than normal given the anti-Trump angst. Also, how would you rate Jennifer Beck's race since that's the only other competitive-looking SD?

Also, CD-2 question: When LoBiondo eventually retires/kicks the can, who are the favorites to run to replace him? Jeff Van Drew is getting pretty old, but Bob Andrczejczak is extremely young and has a great bio with strong crossover appeal in his LD. Chris Brown or Don Guardian would seem like the most logical R frontrunners, provided they win this year, which is a big if. How would you rate an open seat race between Andrczejczak vs. Brown?

I think LD-2 is lean R. Colin Bell is a strong candidate and Dems will pour money into the race, but Brown was already swamping Mazzeo in terms of fundraising, and Bell is starting from behind. If Murphy romps there (which he will, he's fairly popular in South Jersey), Bell has a good shot but I would say Lean R.

As for Beck, Monmouth is still a heavily Republican county, she's a formidable senator who can fundraise well, and as talented as Vin Gopal is (and he is, Monmouth Dems have had a lot of wins lately), he has an uphill battle against a popular incumbent in a Republican district. Beck also opposed the gas tax increase. My only hesitation is that Murphy is from Monmouth (though obviously holds no office there), which could translate it into a few more votes, but I doubt it and I'd rate it Lean R.

As for CD-2, I don't follow South Jersey politics outside of ongoings in Norcross world that I hear about, but JVD's was recruited in 2016 and declined. My instinct is that Bob Andrzejczak would be a competitive candidate, but Chris Brown is apparently a really good fundraiser (or as good as you can be as a state assemblyman, at least) and Don Guardian is incredibly popular in Atlantic County. I can't imagine Andrzejczak overcoming either of those challengers unless he's better at raising money than I thought.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #189 on: March 19, 2017, 03:33:27 PM »

I do find this odd, since he would have been the only pro-Trump candidate for Governor in a republican primary electorate thats very pro-Trump. I think Piscopo is convinced that Guadagno will win the nom, and he thought by running as an Indie, he can run against both the Christie admin. and the Democrats in one go.

I have no clue how well he would do, but if he runs a very Trumpian campaign, I can see him getting 10-12% of the vote (but nothing higher than that).

Piscopo will get 5%-10% of the vote. That could siphon votes from Guadagno or Ciattarelli. Guadagno or Ciattarelli would do well in running against Bob Menendez in 2018. Ciattarelli could beat Menendez next year for Senate.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #190 on: March 19, 2017, 08:42:49 PM »

If I lived in NJ and Murphy was the nominee, I'd vote for Piscopo. Phil Murphy brands himself as a "progressive" while being part of the establishment.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #191 on: March 19, 2017, 09:25:43 PM »

Phil Murphy will have a lot of work ahead of him, most likely. The state is deep in debt and Christie has checked out. Christie made a lot of promises in his 2010 inauguration, but it never came to fruition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ThZ6sQz-fE
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #192 on: March 22, 2017, 10:38:26 AM »

The Democratic primary race seems to be heating up. Murphy's apparently paid county chairs up to hundreds of thousands of dollars for endorsements.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/03/how_much_phil_murphy_donated_to_nj_democrats_in_recent_years.html
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #193 on: March 22, 2017, 10:49:24 AM »

The Democratic primary race seems to be heating up. Murphy's apparently paid county chairs up to hundreds of thousands of dollars for endorsements.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/03/how_much_phil_murphy_donated_to_nj_democrats_in_recent_years.html

All this article says is that he donated a lot of money to the state party and country parties. Nothing about paying for endorsements.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #194 on: March 22, 2017, 11:13:21 AM »

If I lived in NJ and Murphy was the nominee, I'd vote for Piscopo. Phil Murphy brands himself as a "progressive" while being part of the establishment.

Proof neither of these words has any tangible meaning
houseonaboat
Rookie
« Reply #195 on: March 22, 2017, 02:05:54 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2017, 04:28:07 PM by houseonaboat »

This has been known since he jumped into the race -- I doubt that article changes the race meaningfully. The Star Ledger claims to have a major story on Murphy during his time at Goldman though to be published within the coming weeks.

EDIT: misread your comment, there's nothing in there about "buying" endorsements. I was at the Morris County Democratic Convention yesterday, the committee is like 70% geriatrics with too much time on their hands. The idea that he "bought" their votes is absurd.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #196 on: March 22, 2017, 03:08:40 PM »

It says nothing of that sort, so why are you trying to make stuff up on this race?
houseonaboat
Rookie
« Reply #197 on: March 25, 2017, 12:40:37 PM »

Ciattarelli could well win win the GOP primary by the way.

I don't know that, it is just a guess, and Guadagno won some super-important county lines in Ocean, Monmouth, Bergen, Cumberland and Atlantic Counties, but Ciattarelli has momentum going into Middlesex, won Essex, Union, Somerset, Burlington and Mercer, and is widely regarded as a far superior candidate to Kim, Guadagno, who is closely tied to Christie and frankly not a very good politician. Ciattarelli is a really good speaker/campaigner, talks a lot about school funding (which is the #1 issue for a lot of New Jersey's suburbia), and is seen as the better candidate against Murphy.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #198 on: March 26, 2017, 11:25:31 AM »

I don't know that, it is just a guess, and Guadagno won some super-important county lines in Ocean, Monmouth, Bergen, Cumberland and Atlantic Counties, but Ciattarelli has momentum going into Middlesex, won Essex, Union, Somerset, Burlington and Mercer, and is widely regarded as a far superior candidate to Kim, Guadagno, who is closely tied to Christie and frankly not a very good politician. Ciattarelli is a really good speaker/campaigner, talks a lot about school funding (which is the #1 issue for a lot of New Jersey's suburbia), and is seen as the better candidate against Murphy.

Ciattarelli is a rising star. I've saw him speak on TV. He is a good speaker. He could give Phil Murphy a competitive race, but it would still be Likely D. Guadagno is somewhat boring, but would be a good 2018 or 2020 Senate candidate.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #199 on: March 27, 2017, 12:15:29 PM »

Ciattarelli is a rising star. I've saw him speak on TV. He is a good speaker. He could give Phil Murphy a competitive race, but it would still be Likely D. Guadagno is somewhat boring, but would be a good 2018 or 2020 Senate candidate.

I could see a Republican winning against a sufficiently damaged Menendez, but I really doubt Guadagno would be that Republican.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 26  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies