2017: NJ Gubernatorial/legislative elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:58:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2017: NJ Gubernatorial/legislative elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 26
Author Topic: 2017: NJ Gubernatorial/legislative elections  (Read 64919 times)
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 24, 2016, 11:41:46 AM »
« edited: June 30, 2017, 02:23:11 PM by Virginia »

Who are likely to become the nominees and which party will win the state?
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 11:47:55 AM »

After Christie, I feel like the Democrats will return only to repeat the cycle of parties changing horrible NJ Governor after horrible NJ Governor.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 12:06:29 PM »

I am from NJ.

For the Democrats:

Stephen Sweeney
Phil Murphy
Steve Fulop
Ray Lesniak
Ron Rice, Sr.

For the Republicans:
Kim Guadango
Jon Bramnick
Tom Kean, Jr.
Jay Webber

I think it will be Sweeney vs. Gaudango. Sweeney wins by 10 points, and African American voters in Essex, Hudson, Union counties put Sweeney on top. If black turnout is very low, then Guadango may have a small chance of winning. The suburban vote in New Jersey could help Sweeney, but he may be too conservative for New Jersey Democrats.

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 04:23:20 PM »

Guadagno's only chance is to abandon the reform Democrat vote Christie got for holding tight to centrists and independents while gaining with women voters. Is Don Guardian considering running?
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 07:36:35 PM »

Guadagno's only chance is to abandon the reform Democrat vote Christie got for holding tight to centrists and independents while gaining with women voters. Is Don Guardian considering running?
I'd he is the only republican who could possibly hold this seat
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 06:51:54 PM »

I'd he is the only republican who could possibly hold this seat
Ironically, he'd be the second gay Governor to succeed someone of their own party with major corruption problems.
Drew
drewmike87
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 09:20:50 PM »

If Trump becomes POTUS, Guadagno may very well be the incumbent in this race, as Christie may very well get a job in Trump's cabinet (AG?).  I'd say a Dem wins either way, considering Christie's unpopularity and NJ's blueness.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 07:42:56 AM »

I think that Tom Kean Jr. could make it close.

If Trump becomes POTUS, Guadagno may very well be the incumbent in this race, as Christie may very well get a job in Trump's cabinet (AG?).  I'd say a Dem wins either way, considering Christie's unpopularity and NJ's blueness.
Having an unpopular lame duck isn't a guarantee that his/her party will lose.  See Oregon 2010, Washington 2012, etc.  And federal =/= statewide, either.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 12:19:33 PM »

New Jersey Assemblywoman Shavonda Sumter (D-Paterson) is likely running for governor in 2017. If elected, she would be the first African American governor and the second female governor. It will be interesting. The black vote in Essex, Union, Middlesex, Passaic counties may go to Sumter, or they may go to Fulop, the Jersey City mayor.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 12:33:10 PM »

I think that Tom Kean Jr. could make it close.

Having an unpopular lame duck isn't a guarantee that his/her party will lose.  See Oregon 2010, Washington 2012, etc.  And federal =/= statewide, either.

Washington and Oregon are both deep blue states at this point who had flop blue state Governors. It's definitely not the same when the Republican Governor of a blue state flops - See Mitt Romney's Massachusetts allowed Deval Patrick to win double digits.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 12:42:16 PM »

Kean is nowhere in NJ politics.  After that 2006 trainwreck of a Senate race he ran, he's finished.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 09:22:57 AM »

Senate President Stephen Sweeney could face backlash from the teachers unions (NJEA) for failing to put pension funding for a constitutional amendment vote in November 2017. He may lose their support, and unions and Big Labor is crucial to winning a Democratic primary in any state.

However, Philip Murphy, the former Goldman Sachs executive, is the favorite, but Jersey City mayor Steve Fulop, a young rising liberal, could make the primary competitive.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/08/with_pension_guarantee_dead_states_largest_union_l.html#incart_most-commented_politics_article
hopper
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 11:22:17 PM »

Probably Sweeney or Fulop wins the Governor's Race in 2017.
hopper
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 11:26:57 PM »

Christie is unpopular because the state has too many fiscal issues to ignore and he was rarely in the state starting with his second term. He pissed off alot of New Jerseyans off for being out of the state so much and making the people that voted for him feel neglected.
hopper
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 11:28:49 PM »

New Jersey Assemblywoman Shavonda Sumter (D-Paterson) is likely running for governor in 2017. If elected, she would be the first African American governor and the second female governor. It will be interesting. The black vote in Essex, Union, Middlesex, Passaic counties may go to Sumter, or they may go to Fulop, the Jersey City mayor.
She doesn't have the Name ID that Fulop, or Sweeney have and she hasn't been running commericals like Philip Murphy has.
JMT

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2016, 08:25:16 AM »

Is Kim Guadagno likely to run? She seems like the next logical candidate for Republicans, but I wonder if she'll actually decide to run
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 09:23:23 AM »

One other element we may want to consider is that New Jersey also has a Senate race coming up, one where Bob Menendez might very well be primaried within his own party. To me, someone like Flop would be a natural choice for a senator, rather than governor.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 04:09:43 PM »

I really don't know how the race is playing out right now but if I had to support someone at this point it would probably be Fulop Tongue
Knives
solopop
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 08:46:11 PM »

Barbara Buono deserves to run again, she was high energy and competent in an election where Dems abandoned her.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 11:21:27 PM »

Barbara Buono deserves to run again, she was high energy and competent in an election where Dems abandoned her.

She's a D_OR now iirc
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2016, 03:54:30 PM »

Buono moved to Oregon in 2014 or 2015 I believe. The New Jersey Democrats did not even do so much to help her campaign with infrastructure, voter registration, etc. In 2013, before Bridgegate, Christie was seen as the savior of the GOP. Buono is out of N.J. politics, and she probably knew why she left the Garden State.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/07/two_years_after_hitting_the_campaign_trail_buono_t.html

In all honesty, the only Republican that can win in 2017 is Tom Kean, Jr. He's competent, suburban, conservative-friendly. Yes, he lost to Bob Menendez in 2006, a Democratic wave year, but he comes from one of the key areas in the state where Republicans have to do well in in order to win statewide. Suburban Union County. Kean could beat Steve Sweeney or Phil Murphy if he can distance himself from Chris Christie's record.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2016, 04:07:44 PM »

Milly Silva is probably done in politics too, but if she ran, she could appeal to Latino voters in Hudson, Union, Middlesex counties. Phil Murphy, Steve Sweeney, or John Wisniewski, who supported Bernie Sanders in N.J. are the likely Democratic nominees. If Clinton wins the White House, will they distance from her? If Trump wins the White House, will Guadagno, Kean, Bramnick, or Shaun Golden distance from Trump and Christie?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wisniewski
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2016, 10:31:26 PM »

Somerset County Assemblyman Jack Ciattarelli (R-Somerset) may be running in 2017. He's widely expected to announce late this month, September.

http://observer.com/2016/09/2017-governors-race-ciattarelli-prepares-for-his-closeup-later-this-month/
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2016, 09:24:22 AM »

The Mayor of Paramus, New Jersey, of Bergen County, endorsed Democratic gubernatorial frontrunner Phil Murphy on Friday. Bergen County is seen as a swing county in statewide elections.

http://www.njspotlight.com/stories/16/09/26/murphy-picks-up-endorsement-of-paramus-mayor-harbinger-for-bergen-county/
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2016, 06:19:28 PM »

After Christie, I feel like the Democrats will return only to repeat the cycle of parties changing horrible NJ Governor after horrible NJ Governor.

True. In my opinion, the last greatest N.J. governor was Tom Kean, Sr. He won the majority of New Jerseyans in his 1985 reelection. He's a moderate Republican.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 26  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies