Harris Wofford's incredible (love) story
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:33:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Harris Wofford's incredible (love) story
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Harris Wofford's incredible (love) story  (Read 3785 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 24, 2016, 12:26:05 PM »

This is a must-read piece.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/24/opinion/sunday/findinglove-again-this-time-with-a-man.html?_r=0

Matthew is very different from Clare. The political causes that continue to move me do not preoccupy him, nor have I turned my priorities to design, the focus of his driving talent. Still, the same force of love is at work bringing two people together.

Twice in my life, I’ve felt the pull of such passionate preference. At age 90, I am lucky to be in an era where the Supreme Court has strengthened what President Obama calls “the dignity of marriage” by recognizing that matrimony is not based on anyone’s sexual nature, choices or dreams. It is based on love.

All this is on my mind as Matthew and I prepare for our marriage ceremony. On April 30, at ages 90 and 40, we will join hands, vowing to be bound together: to have and to hold, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, until death do us part.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 12:49:53 PM »

Awesome stuff.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 12:59:16 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

lmao I bet he did
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 01:31:02 PM »

Wow yeah, that's amazing. Congrats to them.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 01:56:37 PM »

In all seriousness it's kind of heartwarming that we're at the point where elderly gay men can now, too, marry creepily below the acceptable age range.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 02:09:15 PM »

In all seriousness it's kind of heartwarming that we're at the point where elderly gay men can now, too, marry creepily below the acceptable age range.

That was my reaction too. I think true LGBT equality is admitting that there's something kind of off about marrying someone who could be your grandchild, regardless of whether they are of the same or the opposite sex.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 02:45:14 PM »

Stephen Fry did it first.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 02:45:20 PM »

That was my reaction too. I think true LGBT equality is admitting that there's something kind of off about marrying someone who could be your grandchild, regardless of whether they are of the same or the opposite sex.

I'd argue that it i'ts a lot more concerning in heterosexual couples due to the inherent power imbalance between genders, but I know this kind of argument won't go over well here.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 02:55:33 PM »

I'd argue that it i'ts a lot more concerning in heterosexual couples due to the inherent power imbalance between genders, but I know this kind of argument won't go over well here.

I would say that's a ridiculous overgeneralisation.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 03:05:52 PM »

TBF even in a hetero relationship between a 40 year old woman and a 90 year old man, there's definitely a power imbalance.  Just not the direction your post implied.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 03:22:06 PM »

TBF even in a hetero relationship between a 40 year old woman and a 90 year old man, there's definitely a power imbalance.  Just not the direction your post implied.

Well yeah, obviously there's that too. I'm just saying, gender inequality adds one layer of creepy.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 03:52:46 PM »

Smiley
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2016, 04:46:54 PM »

Doesn't work with the half plus seven rule.

HP
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2016, 06:30:35 PM »

If only we were smart enough to re-elect this FF over Frothy Mixture, the nation would've been spared so much grief.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 04:31:41 PM »

Ewww. Cradle robber.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 06:03:15 PM »

There goes antonio again with his straightsplaining.  Also, I call out your misogyny by claiming the gender imbalance is "inherent."
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 07:00:26 PM »

There goes antonio again with his straightsplaining.  Also, I call out your misogyny by claiming the gender imbalance is "inherent."

Considering how obsessed your are with my posts, I'm starting to think you have a crush on me. Tongue
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2016, 07:06:16 PM »

I need brain bleach...
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 07:46:14 PM »

Harris Wofford's lover is not even half of his age and that's the only part that is disturbing.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2016, 08:20:04 PM »

...so he's telling us he was walking along a beach and realized "Oh! I'm gay!" at 81? I don't buy it.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2016, 08:43:11 PM »

Considering how obsessed your are with my posts, I'm starting to think you have a crush on me. Tongue

ITT: homophobia
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2016, 09:46:39 PM »

...so he's telling us he was walking along a beach and realized "Oh! I'm gay!" at 81? I don't buy it.
Yeah, something tells me he figured it out at a rest stop on the Pennsylvania turnpike in 1961.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2016, 07:55:30 AM »

He's probably marrying this old guy for money but if the old guy still has a working brain, he probably knows this and figures it's a good trade. It probably is. No one is going to felate a 90 year old for free.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2016, 08:00:29 AM »

Ugh what a half plus seven violating creep.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2016, 09:34:58 AM »

Ugh what a half plus seven violating creep.

You do realise that 'rule' isn't actually the law?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies