Harris Wofford's incredible (love) story (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:59:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Harris Wofford's incredible (love) story (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Harris Wofford's incredible (love) story  (Read 3811 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« on: April 24, 2016, 03:05:52 PM »

In all seriousness it's kind of heartwarming that we're at the point where elderly gay men can now, too, marry creepily below the acceptable age range.

That was my reaction too. I think true LGBT equality is admitting that there's something kind of off about marrying someone who could be your grandchild, regardless of whether they are of the same or the opposite sex.

I'd argue that it i'ts a lot more concerning in heterosexual couples due to the inherent power imbalance between genders, but I know this kind of argument won't go over well here.

TBF even in a hetero relationship between a 40 year old woman and a 90 year old man, there's definitely a power imbalance.  Just not the direction your post implied.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 01:52:24 AM »

Ugh what a half plus seven violating creep.

You do realise that 'rule' isn't actually the law?

Uh, who cares? It's legal for me to f[inks] 16-year olds in Minnesota but that doesn't make it OK.

What? You mean the age of consent in Minnesota is 16?

Oh my God.

It's 16 in well over half of the states:

Blue = 16, gold = 17, green = 18, Texas = 18 with a two-year 'close in age' exception
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 02:39:35 AM »

According to the half plus seven rule, the minimum age for a 90-year old's partner is 52.  Obviously that's a big difference versus 40, but there's still a 38 year gap between 52 and 90.  At that point the 'rule' clearly breaks down.

Of course, we're all assuming that a 90-year old is looking for any kind of sexual relationship from their partner.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 01:31:36 PM »

According to the half plus seven rule, the minimum age for a 90-year old's partner is 52.  Obviously that's a big difference versus 40, but there's still a 38 year gap between 52 and 90.  At that point the 'rule' clearly breaks down.

Of course, we're all assuming that a 90-year old is looking for any kind of sexual relationship from their partner.

What exactly do you mean when the "half plus seven" rule breaks down?

I think I just explained what I mean...

A 90-year old is apparently forbidden from being in a relationship with anybody younger than 52.  But even that age creates a yuuge and fairly uncomfortable gap between both of them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies