Sanders and the federal reserve chairman
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:56:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Sanders and the federal reserve chairman
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sanders and the federal reserve chairman  (Read 744 times)
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 24, 2016, 02:04:38 PM »

I keep coming across these videos where Sanders has been given the opportunity to talk to the chairman of the federal reserve and all he does is recite his stump speech or ask loaded questions, request that they agree with him, and interrupt them or hurl wild accusations if they don't agree with him or calmly try to explain basic economics to him.

Greenspan:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3szD2m9yDk
Bernanke:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCWXrMCGJT4
Yellen:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br0vMtzROEQ

Will he have a good relationship with Janet Yellen or, if she retires, the new chairman?  Who would he appoint as fed chair?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 02:08:13 PM »

This is a very big weakness of Sanders - he has very little understanding of the Federal Reserve system.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 02:22:06 PM »

I think my favorite part is in the Greenspan video when he interrupts Greenspan three seconds into his answer to go on a rant about how Scandinavia is so much better than the United States
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3szD2m9yDk&feature=youtu.be&t=3m27s

Thirty seconds later Greenspan pauses in his second attempt to respond and goes "may I?" and Bernie says "I'm just making a face, I'm not making a comment."
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 02:22:21 PM »

My reaction:

Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 02:45:45 PM »

Lyin' Steve, you support Hillary against Trump, right? Would you vote for Trump over Sanders? Just curious...

I've gone back and forth on this.  On the one hand, I think Sanders would have very little chance of actually crashing the American economy as he wants to, while Trump would have a very real chance of destroying our relationships with our allies and our standing in the world, just because of the way our checks and balances are set up.  On the other hand I worry about what the personality of the United States would become and what our society would turn into; I would much rather live in a Trump country than a Sanders country.  I also think Trump would make much better decisions about who to put in his cabinet and would be more effective at relating to congress and providing leadership to the country.  So whenever I think, oh I would vote for Trump, I imagine feeling responsible for some harebrained middle-eastern policy or a devastating trade war.  Then when I think, well I must vote for Sanders then, I just imagine a country where the stock market tanks because our major corporations flee overseas, our society is overrun with protesters, and every other week is some sort of misguided, simple-minded class warfare executive order.

I never consider voting third party though.  Why waste my vote?  Right now I'm probably leaning towards Trump because at least he seems to know how to choose smart people and listen to them, and his career up to this point shows that he can get along well with people and make good, effective decisions, none of which can really be said for Sanders.

They would both be dreadful presidents, though.  I would vote for Cruz over Sanders in a heartbeat.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 03:00:59 PM »

Lyin' Steve, you support Hillary against Trump, right? Would you vote for Trump over Sanders? Just curious...

I've gone back and forth on this.  On the one hand, I think Sanders would have very little chance of actually crashing the American economy as he wants to, while Trump would have a very real chance of destroying our relationships with our allies and our standing in the world, just because of the way our checks and balances are set up.  On the other hand I worry about what the personality of the United States would become and what our society would turn into; I would much rather live in a Trump country than a Sanders country.  I also think Trump would make much better decisions about who to put in his cabinet and would be more effective at relating to congress and providing leadership to the country.  So whenever I think, oh I would vote for Trump, I imagine feeling responsible for some harebrained middle-eastern policy or a devastating trade war.  Then when I think, well I must vote for Sanders then, I just imagine a country where the stock market tanks because our major corporations flee overseas, our society is overrun with protesters, and every other week is some sort of misguided, simple-minded class warfare executive order.

I never consider voting third party though.  Why waste my vote?  Right now I'm probably leaning towards Trump because at least he seems to know how to choose smart people and listen to them, and his career up to this point shows that he can get along well with people and make good, effective decisions, none of which can really be said for Sanders.

They would both be dreadful presidents, though.  I would vote for Cruz over Sanders in a heartbeat.

You live in Idaho
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 04:51:55 PM »

I think my favorite part is in the Greenspan video when he interrupts Greenspan three seconds into his answer to go on a rant about how Scandinavia is so much better than the United States
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3szD2m9yDk&feature=youtu.be&t=3m27s

Thirty seconds later Greenspan pauses in his second attempt to respond and goes "may I?" and Bernie says "I'm just making a face, I'm not making a comment."

Well, in Sanders defense here, Greenspan is a total moron.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 06:10:19 PM »

Alan Greenspan looks like he's perpetually melting.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 06:13:04 PM »

The head of the Minneapolis Federal Reserve agrees with Bernie that we should break up the big banks, but isn't sure the right way.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies