Would Bernie supporters still be as terrible if it was Warren vs Sanders?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 07:50:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Would Bernie supporters still be as terrible if it was Warren vs Sanders?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Let's assume Clinton never ran, and instead Warren and Bernie faced off. Would Bernie supporters still be as insufferable / delusional?
Yes

No

Slightly less, but still intolerable

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Would Bernie supporters still be as terrible if it was Warren vs Sanders?  (Read 1386 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2016, 02:51:17 PM »
« edited: April 25, 2016, 03:59:56 PM by Virginia »

I was mostly talking about the supporters. Anyone who thinks that Bernie is running a particularly negative campaign is seriously deluded.

I don't think his campaign itself is all that negative at all, that is, compared to others and certainly compared to what it could be. One of my major disagreements is his constant talk about the speeches. It's a dog whistle for her being super corrupt, and fine, if he wants to call her corrupt, then he should do it and provide more accurate proof. Those speeches are not proof of anything and frankly, I seriously doubt she was trading favors for speeches. Those companies/banks throw around money like it's nothing, so for a high profile speaker like her to stand there praising them for an hour or two is probably worth it to them. In that regard, I think she doesn't want to release the transcripts because she was probably singing them lots of praise. It doesn't mean anything, but it would look bad.

He's going after her character, and not anything meaningful, and insinuating a candidate is corrupt like this hurts a lot more than most attacks. If he had actual evidence here, that's one thing, but beating her over mostly harmless speeches is bs.

Bernie hacks =/= All Bernie supporters

Hillary hacks =/= All Hillary supporters

Well, I did go out of my way to state that not all of them are like this. I don't tend to generalize like that.

I do understand my poll questions suggested otherwise but I edited my main post immediately after making the thread to clarify this.

Like tmc, I haven't met any really obnoxious Sanders supporter, but maybe pointing out Clinton's many faults makes us all obnoxious.  

Obviously this is anecdotal, but I bumped into a ridiculously ignorant Sanders supporter while waiting for my friend at his school. Apparently the only reason Hillary won anywhere was massive voter fraud. First time I've ever heard that level of ignorance from someone in-person, even when compared to the rather dumb stuff I've heard the past couple months from people I actually know / am friends with. On top of that, reddit, a place I used to love is now a cesspool of anti-Hillary / pro-Bernie ignorance and delusion. Obviously that place was never a bastion of substantive discussion, but it's gotten extremely toxic since Sanders came into vogue. There is no better example imo than reddit, but there are more.

The problem with what Sanders is doing is that he's painting her as a corrupt plutocrat who will immediately screw over everyone when she gets elected. I really don't think she's any worse than most other politicians in that regard. There are good reasons to think that she will try to do what she has promised if elected, but it is impossible to talk to people about her when they have been conditioned to believe she will screw them over after getting elected, because it gives them a way to deny any argument against their views as they resort to these accusations and future predictions that really cannot be disproved (and not because there is damning evidence, either). Bernie's campaign and the media have been exceptionally efficient in her character assassination.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2016, 04:59:30 PM »

I will partially +1 Virginia in that, while there IS an immense level of corruption/elitist crony pluralism in the "Democratic Party" (and Hillary is at the epicenter of this cancerous organizational tumor that even self-styled holy rollers like Sanders and Warren are somewhat tainted by)...

...it's irritating when the r/Sanders ilk immediately explain everything as a conspiracy, like they are that Ancient Aliens guy from the history channel.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that guy was a Sanders supporter.

Also I hate the morons who say that they won't vote if Sanders doesn't win.  They are part of the problem.

This poll poses a difficult question to answer because a lot of the current Sanders supporters would BECOME Warren supporters, I think myself included (I think she is more intelligent and competent and would be a better President but that he is a better campaigner/leader).

Are these potential Warren supporters drawing disproportionately from the less batty side of the Sanders' base?  You tell me.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2016, 05:08:11 PM »

If Bernie's opponent wasn't so terrible, there wouldn't be as much criticism of his opponent. Also, Hillary tends to run negative campaigns. If was Bernie vs. O'Malley, it would be a much more positive election.

Maybe, but I don't mean the campaigns/elections themselves. I mean the supporters.

I was mostly talking about the supporters. Anyone who thinks that Bernie is running a particularly negative campaign is seriously deluded.

You don't really have much room to talk here considering you think Hillary is running a negative campaign. Someone who has lived through 2008 and watched the 2016 Republican clownshow has no excuse for such a ridiculous opinion.

So because Hillary ran a negative campaign 8 years ago, that excuses the fact that she's running a negative campaign now? As for the 2016 Republican contest, do you want to compare it to the Spanish Inquisition, too?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2016, 05:12:18 PM »

I don't think his campaign itself is all that negative at all, that is, compared to others and certainly compared to what it could be. One of my major disagreements is his constant talk about the speeches. It's a dog whistle for her being super corrupt, and fine, if he wants to call her corrupt, then he should do it and provide more accurate proof. Those speeches are not proof of anything and frankly, I seriously doubt she was trading favors for speeches. Those companies/banks throw around money like it's nothing, so for a high profile speaker like her to stand there praising them for an hour or two is probably worth it to them. In that regard, I think she doesn't want to release the transcripts because she was probably singing them lots of praise. It doesn't mean anything, but it would look bad.

He's going after her character, and not anything meaningful, and insinuating a candidate is corrupt like this hurts a lot more than most attacks. If he had actual evidence here, that's one thing, but beating her over mostly harmless speeches is bs.

Bernie hacks =/= All Bernie supporters

Hillary hacks =/= All Hillary supporters

Well, I did go out of my way to state that not all of them are like this. I don't tend to generalize like that.

I do understand my poll questions suggested otherwise but I edited my main post immediately after making the thread to clarify this.

Like tmc, I haven't met any really obnoxious Sanders supporter, but maybe pointing out Clinton's many faults makes us all obnoxious.  

Obviously this is anecdotal, but I bumped into a ridiculously ignorant Sanders supporter while waiting for my friend at his school. Apparently the only reason Hillary won anywhere was massive voter fraud. First time I've ever heard that level of ignorance from someone in-person, even when compared to the rather dumb stuff I've heard the past couple months from people I actually know / am friends with. On top of that, reddit, a place I used to love is now a cesspool of anti-Hillary / pro-Bernie ignorance and delusion. Obviously that place was never a bastion of substantive discussion, but it's gotten extremely toxic since Sanders came into vogue. There is no better example imo than reddit, but there are more.

The problem with what Sanders is doing is that he's painting her as a corrupt plutocrat who will immediately screw over everyone when she gets elected. I really don't think she's any worse than most other politicians in that regard. There are good reasons to think that she will try to do what she has promised if elected, but it is impossible to talk to people about her when they have been conditioned to believe she will screw them over after getting elected, because it gives them a way to deny any argument against their views as they resort to these accusations and future predictions that really cannot be disproved (and not because there is damning evidence, either). Bernie's campaign and the media have been exceptionally efficient in her character assassination.

If Bernie wanted to paint the Clintons as corrupt, he could go after specific things, like the $10 million the Saudis gave to the Clinton Foundation before they got $29 billion in arm sales approved by Hillary that are currently being used to kill Shia civilians in Yemen. Or the Russian uranium deal with Bill Clinton. Or Marc Rich's pardon. Or Sidney Blumenthal's business interests in Libya, or so on. But no, Bernie is running a campaign based on the issues.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2016, 05:34:14 PM »

If Bernie wanted to paint the Clintons as corrupt, he could go after specific things, like the $10 million the Saudis gave to the Clinton Foundation before they got $29 billion in arm sales approved by Hillary that are currently being used to kill Shia civilians in Yemen. Or the Russian uranium deal with Bill Clinton. Or Marc Rich's pardon. Or Sidney Blumenthal's business interests in Libya, or so on. But no, Bernie is running a campaign based on the issues.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that Bernie isn't trying to paint her as corrupt? His campaign is in a large part based around special interests corrupting our government, and by constantly beating Hillary up over high-priced speeches to Wall St organizations, and saying things such as "that must have been one HELL of a speech!" (paraphrased), he is insinuating that she is corrupt because it wasn't about speeches, or there were favors involved. This is undeniable, and his supporters seem to get it just fine. Bernie's campaign overall is majority-positive, but the speeches crap is an extraordinarily accurate depiction of something you would find in a negative campaign.

Which brings me to this: The speeches are completely irrelevant. So what if some companies/banks paid her lots of money to say things that please them? She has a right to accept money for talking about whatever the banks wanted her to talk about. That doesn't make her corrupt at all, but when she doesn't want to release the transcripts (for good reason), it gives Bernie the perfect situation where he can paint her as corrupt by implying very shady things were going on and not just speeches. This is the kind of pathetic, annoying garbage that I hate about people who actually do run negative campaigns. They try to tear down a person's credibility and character with things unrelated or even consequential towards the matter at hand. So while I respect and admire a lot of things about Bernie's campaign, this trash is certainly not one of them.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2016, 05:41:01 PM »

Are you seriously trying to tell me that Bernie isn't trying to paint her as corrupt? His campaign is in a large part based around special interests corrupting our government, and by constantly beating Hillary up over high-priced speeches to Wall St organizations, and saying things such as "that must have been one HELL of a speech!" (paraphrased), he is insinuating that she is corrupt because it wasn't about speeches, or there were favors involved. This is undeniable, and his supporters seem to get it just fine. Bernie's campaign overall is majority-positive, but the speeches crap is an extraordinarily accurate depiction of something you would find in a negative campaign.

Which brings me to this: The speeches are completely irrelevant. So what if some companies/banks paid her lots of money to say things that please them? She has a right to accept money for talking about whatever the banks wanted her to talk about. That doesn't make her corrupt at all, but when she doesn't want to release the transcripts (for good reason), it gives Bernie the perfect situation where he can paint her as corrupt by implying very shady things were going on and not just speeches. This is the kind of pathetic, annoying garbage that I hate about people who actually do run negative campaigns. They try to tear down a person's credibility and character with things unrelated or even consequential towards the matter at hand. So while I respect and admire a lot of things about Bernie's campaign, this trash is certainly not one of them.

If the speeches were fine, she should release the transcripts to show that there were no Romney 47% type comments or worse. Anti-corruption laws prohibited Bernie having any paid speech like that during his time in Congress. Why shouldn't that apply to someone everyone knew was the frontrunner for President? Anyways, Bernie isn't hammering the issue as hard as he can. He mostly just talks about the issues. We all know that it's Hillary who is running the more negative and less issue centered campaign. And Hillary already had 67% of Americans said she isn't honest and trustworthy before she didn't release the transcripts. I doubt Bernie has that much interest in trying to have that break 70%.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2016, 05:52:06 PM »

If the speeches were fine, she should release the transcripts to show that there were no Romney 47% type comments or worse. Anti-corruption laws prohibited Bernie having any paid speech like that during his time in Congress. Why shouldn't that apply to someone everyone knew was the frontrunner for President? Anyways, Bernie isn't hammering the issue as hard as he can. He mostly just talks about the issues. We all know that it's Hillary who is running the more negative and less issue centered campaign. And Hillary already had 67% of Americans said she isn't honest and trustworthy before she didn't release the transcripts. I doubt Bernie has that much interest in trying to have that break 70%.

The most probable reason she isn't releasing them is that releasing a bunch of speech transcripts where she spends hours telling banks how great they are would be an epic PR blunder in an election/era defined by special interests corrupting government. I stated this in various ways in my posts.

Once again, it doesn't make her corrupt. Personally, I don't even care if she actually cares about Americans, as long as she does (or tries to do) the things she campaigned on. I think she will, if for no other reason than to leave this Earth with a better legacy.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2016, 05:55:27 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2016, 05:57:31 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

The most probable reason she isn't releasing them is that releasing a bunch of speech transcripts where she spends hours telling banks how great they are would be an epic PR blunder in an election/era defined by special interests corrupting government. I stated this in various ways in my posts.

Once again, it doesn't make her corrupt. Personally, I don't even care if she actually cares about Americans, as long as she does (or tries to do) the things she campaigned on. I think she will, if for no other reason than to leave this Earth with a better legacy.

Her wars, fracking, and Wall Street stooges will not leave the Earth with a better legacy. Her pals Henry Kissinger, Robert Rubin, and the like need to be rotting away in prison.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2016, 10:20:06 PM »

anecdotal bits are interesting.  

I try to avoid political discussion with the ignorant and I haven't visited reddit, but I have no trouble imagining rabid, unwashed Sanders supporters.  Would his supporters be as obnoxious with Warren as with Clinton?  We can't say for sure, but I don't think so.

I agree that she's not a plutocrat, but we might argue over how corrupt she can be.  She will not necessarily go out of her way to wreak havoc.  Sanders has used emotionally-motivated rhetoric, such as when he said she was "unqualified" to be president.  No matter how much I mistrust her, I would concede that her resume is superior to anyone running against her from any party this year.  A well-polished candidate has a built-in advantage, and I think that Sanders is figuring that out, but it doesn't excuse some of his excesses.  Still, from what I can tell most of the "character assassination" is the normal sort we see every season.  I don't hold it against him when he reminds us that she is prone to political expediency.  That's one of the least provocative charges he could legitimately lay against her.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2016, 10:23:10 PM »

anecdotal bits are interesting.  

I try to avoid political discussion with the ignorant and I haven't visited reddit, but I have no trouble imagining rabid, unwashed Sanders supporters.  Would his supporters be as obnoxious with Warren as with Clinton?  We can't say for sure, but I don't think so.

I agree that she's not a plutocrat, but we might argue over how corrupt she can be.  She will not necessarily go out of her way to wreak havoc.  Sanders has used emotionally-motivated rhetoric, such as when he said she was "unqualified" to be president.  No matter how much I mistrust her, I would concede that her resume is superior to anyone running against her from any party this year.  A well-polished candidate has a built-in advantage, and I think that Sanders is figuring that out, but it doesn't excuse some of his excesses.  Still, from what I can tell most of the "character assassination" is the normal sort we see every season.  I don't hold it against him when he reminds us that she is prone to political expediency.  That's one of the least provocative charges he could legitimately lay against her.

Bernie was saying she was unqualified in response to her basically saying the same. Of course based upon a resume, James Buchanan might have been our most qualified President, and yet he's generally considered one of the very worst Presidents, unlike his successor with a much shorter resume.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2016, 10:53:04 PM »

You're stoked, man. 

Seems that we're on the same team at the moment:  I agree with your comments about experience.  Obviously many voters are willing to overlook Clinton's blind ambition, especially loyal Democrats who can discount me in November.  I'm up for supporting Bernie tomorrow morning.  Should he actually get nominated, he can count on my support in the fall.  Feel the Bern.

(off-topic, but some revisionist historians are giving Buchanan a second look.  At least around here.  There have been a number of op-ed pieces in his favor lately.)
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2016, 02:17:03 AM »
« Edited: April 26, 2016, 02:36:59 AM by Ogre Mage »

If you haven't noticed, I didn't pay much attention to the 2008 election at all, so I'm unaware of how competitive Democratic primaries usually play out. Clinton has so many weaknesses that I have to wonder if the hate of her is unique, or if it would generally be applied in similar fashion to the opposition candidate(s) no matter what.

Brutal primaries happen more often than not.  Consider --

1980 -- Horrible, nasty, vicious primary between Jimmy Carter and Ted Kennedy which ended in a contested convention.  The Carter Campaign kept trying to make thinly veiled references to Chappaquiddick.   It ended with Carter winning but unsuccessfully trying to chase Ted Kennedy around the convention stage for a handshake (lol).  We all know how the general election turned out.

1984 -- Another very long and hotly contested primary between Walter Mondale and Gary Hart. http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2007/09/remember_1984.html

1992 -- Bitter personal feud between Jerry Brown and Bill Clinton which ended with Brown refusing to endorse the Democratic nominee.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5kUITklALQ

2004 -- "Independent" groups associated with Dick Gephardt ran negative ads against front-runner Howard Dean with Osama Bin Laden imagery in them.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/2003/12/17/anti-dean-ad-is-criticized/3f44dd20-18ec-4ded-9daa-1d30e8b1e75b/

2008 -- Hillary vs. Obama debate -- "Corporate Board of Wal-Mart" vs. "slum landlord business in Chicago."  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD9F1t9GQzA

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2016, 02:20:49 AM »

Seems that we're on the same team at the moment:  I agree with your comments about experience.  Obviously many voters are willing to overlook Clinton's blind ambition, especially loyal Democrats who can discount me in November. 

As opposed to every other presidential candidate who ran because they just loved their country so much.
Roll Eyes
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2016, 02:32:13 AM »

Seems that we're on the same team at the moment:  I agree with your comments about experience.  Obviously many voters are willing to overlook Clinton's blind ambition, especially loyal Democrats who can discount me in November. 

As opposed to every other presidential candidate who ran because they just loved their country so much.
Roll Eyes

Strange how male presidential candidates are NOT described as having "blind ambition." 
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2016, 02:36:16 AM »

Man, Ted Cruz is a million times as phony as Hillary Clinton and is literally running after being in the Senate for only four years but is never accused of "blind ambition".
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2016, 03:27:14 AM »

Seems that we're on the same team at the moment:  I agree with your comments about experience.  Obviously many voters are willing to overlook Clinton's blind ambition, especially loyal Democrats who can discount me in November.

Roll Eyes

Strange how male presidential candidates are NOT described as having "blind ambition."  

They all are except Bernie. He wouldn't have run if someone with somewhat similar views, such as Warren, had run.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2016, 03:30:22 AM »

They all are except Bernie.

Go see a doctor before it's too late.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2016, 07:37:02 AM »

They weren't particularly terrible today.  I was looking out for political propaganda on my drive to work, and the only signs I noticed were for congressional and legislative races.  I did see striking workers downtown at Verizon offices.  They have been there for over a week.  Always at least four or five people with "stand up to Verizon" boards and signs walking about the block in front.  I only noticed two pieces of propaganda on campus, both for Sanders.  One was a poster on a bulletin board, which I'm sure an administrator will remove once it gets noticed, and the other was a door hanger, the kind that usually say "do not disturb" on hotel doors, but this one had a picture of Sanders and said it said something about Revolution.

¡Hasta la victoria siempre! 
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2016, 09:49:03 AM »

Things are picking up.  In the two hours since I've posted, I've seen Bernie schwag on three backpacks and one ancient, tattered Rock The Vote t-shirt.  I have not yet seen any Clinton, Cruz, or Trump memorabilia or shirts or signs today.

I'll probably take off early, around 3, to vote.  I thought about doing it at 8ish but I thought there may be a line.  In 31 years of voting, I've never had to wait in line to vote.  Or I've never had to wait for more than a two or three people, to be honest, but I keep hearing of long lines, especially this year in Pennsylvania because maybe the primary here matters.  I think 3 to 4 pm would be a decent timeslot.  I'm thinking of picking up my son first and taking him there.  I wouldn't have bored him with this in the past, but they're discussing the election in his SS class.  He likes Trump.  They all like Trump.  Trump is very popular with the current fifth-grade class at Landis Run intermediate school.  I guess it's going to bum him out when I tell him that I'm voting for someone other than Trump.
DS0816
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2016, 09:58:36 AM »

What if it was Warren, or someone else respectable instead of Clinton? Think about it - Clinton makes the perfect villain for bernbots. Endless vectors to attack her from and lots of cover for them to spew hate 24/7. It makes me wonder if they are only so disgusting right now because Clinton is, well, Clinton. Also please be aware I'm not calling all bernie supporters crazed delusional lunatics, obviously, but we all know there are many of them.

If you haven't noticed, I didn't pay much attention to the 2008 election at all, so I'm unaware of how competitive Democratic primaries usually play out. Clinton has so many weaknesses that I have to wonder if the hate of her is unique, or if it would generally be applied in similar fashion to the opposition candidate(s) no matter what.

Discussion is mandatory!

Virginia,

Please watch, in the order listed, all three of these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AMEWlXK-Yw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FSLDkLCYL8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGbDJddVIcc

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2016, 10:38:00 AM »

Oh yes, the Russian Propaganda network!
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2016, 10:59:13 AM »

1992 -- Bitter personal feud between Jerry Brown and Bill Clinton which ended with Brown refusing to endorse the Democratic nominee.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5kUITklALQ

Jerry Brown was such an ass to Bill Clinton in that election that it makes my head spin to think he became such a good governor today.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2016, 12:24:15 PM »

I'm not sure what you're getting at, though. I was talking about supporters. But I'll adress this one-by-one anyway:

1. Millennials have already been voting rather heavily Democratic since 2008, but they actually started in 2004 (54%). If you follow generational imprinting theory, most Millennials are already locked into the Democratic party. This tiff between them and Clinton is nothing compared to the revolt going on in the GOP for years now, yet those voters never left the party. That's because party loyalty is exceptionally strong after it is set in place. You could argue that many of them are young enough to switch, but the fact remains that the Republican party offers currently Democratic/moderate/liberal-leaning Millennials virtually nothing. Millennial views on the issues differ significantly in most areas from the modern Republican party, so even if they sit out this election, chances are they will be back, and in greater numbers. So I am not really worried. People always make a big deal out of things like this (sometimes, myself included)

2. But did she ever actually go nuclear? No. Did you see the Slate article today talking about opposition research on Bernie? Hillary pretty much used none of that, yet she could have and that would have been nuclear. What she has done, compared to that, is more like comparing a grenade to a high-yield thermonuclear weapon.

3. How is defeating Sanders bad? That's the whole point of the primary! Candidates face off to defeat the others so they may get the nomination. I don't like the 'disqualify' bit much, but that is so tame and frankly, to expect candidates to not try that in a primary is absolute wishful thinking. Primaries/elections are not pure, and never will never be pure. Finally, Sanders called Clinton unqualified as well, as a response. People can't argue that him doing it is ok, and her isn't. It doesn't matter if if it is retaliatory in my book. She is clearly unqualified, and while I have some doubts about Bernie, I still think he is qualified, albeit with caveats. I'm not a fan of calling people things they are blatantly not, so when either candidate does that, I will not condone it from them or their supporters.
DS0816
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2016, 01:47:36 PM »

Virginia,

Please view one more video.

And then I will respond.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsMF_7XVPSU
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2016, 01:59:57 PM »

I watched half of it, and I think I get the point here. There is a massive age gap in candidate support. But I say: So what? Pundits and other people are hyping the significance of this way beyond what it actually is. This isn't exactly a new thing. These Millennials are not going to stop supporting Democrats because of it. Sure, some will, but every single election results in some people making similar decisions. I go by historical trends and data, and that says that despite all the fear-mongering pundits are doing in relation to this, it won't result in anything significant.

I could have just said "See #1 from my last post", which is equally relevant, but... yeah.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies