What would descesed political writers say about this election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:31:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  What would descesed political writers say about this election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What would descesed political writers say about this election?  (Read 1687 times)
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 24, 2016, 11:01:32 PM »

If Norman Mailer, Hunter S Thompson, Christopher Hitchens, William F Buckley, whoever else comes to mind as a political commentator where still alive today what do you think that they would say about the election?
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 11:04:58 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2016, 11:11:58 PM by Ronnie »

Well, Hitchens would be absolutely horrified by Trump, and would probably write a column every week to air his grievances about him.

He would just hate this cycle as a whole, really.  Sanders, Clinton, Trump, and Cruz all go against his core values and beliefs in different ways: Trump for his demagogy, Cruz for his sanctimony and evangelism, Hillary for her entitlement, Sanders for his dovishness.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 11:09:27 PM »

Hunter would have loved it, he thrived off of chaos.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 11:16:09 PM »

Well, Hitchens would be absolutely horrified by Trump, and would probably write a column every week to air his grievances about him.

He would just hate this cycle as a whole, really.  Sanders, Clinton, Trump, and Cruz all go against his core values and beliefs in different ways: Trump for his demagogy, Cruz for his sanctimony and evangelism, Hillary for her entitlement, Sanders for his dovishness.

He'd have a field day with the Hillary/Kissinger stuff.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 11:19:39 PM »

Brietbart seemed to be pretty critical of Trump. I wonder if he was still alive if he would have had any effect on conservative support for him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlsqj8aQ1Po
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 11:20:23 PM »

I'd give just about anything to hear Buckley's thoughts on Trump.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 11:21:53 PM »

I'd give just about anything to hear Buckley's thoughts on Trump.

Voilà: http://www.mediaite.com/online/heres-what-national-review-founder-william-f-buckley-wrote-about-trump-in-2000/
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 11:23:23 PM »

I think that he might have leaned slightly towards Bernie just as the least possible evil.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 01:35:31 AM »

They'd write about how a Trump vs. Hillary election signifies the beginning of a post-Christian America.  For the first time ever, you'd have two candidates who say they're religious, but deep down, probably don't give two craps about faith.  Plus, their views on social issues don't exactly line up with the "Christian America" utopia the deeply faithful want to impose on us.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 02:20:12 AM »

Yeah, I think it's a safe bet he'd be CruzOrBust.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 05:20:54 AM »

diseased or deceased?
MIKESOWELL
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 11:50:43 AM »

I would love to hear what Maureen Does would have to say about Cruz. I loved her moniker of Shrub for George W. Does anyone remember the journalist Robert Kelly? I believe that was his name.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 02:16:35 PM »

I would love to hear what Maureen Does would have to say about Cruz. I loved her moniker of Shrub for George W. Does anyone remember the journalist Robert Kelly? I believe that was his name.

Dowd is still alive: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maureen_Dowd
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 02:24:38 PM »

I think it was Molly Ivins who first called W shrub, way back in the early 90s when he became governor of Texas.  She died in 2007 but if she's doing an op-ed piece for Saint Peter's monthly magazine I'd imagine she has much to say of The Donald.  

Some Molly Ivins quotes:

"There are two kinds of humor. One kind that makes us chuckle about our foibles and our shared humanity -- like what Garrison Keillor does. The other kind holds people up to public contempt and ridicule -- that's what I do. Satire is traditionally the weapon of the powerless against the powerful."

"The first rule of holes: when you're in one, stop digging."

"What you need is sustained outrage...there's far too much unthinking respect given to authority."
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 02:30:30 PM »

“It is a peculiarity of the development of American fascism that at the present stage it comes forward principally in the guise of an opposition to fascism, which it accuses of being an “un-American” trend imported from abroad.” – Georgi Dimitrov, in his report delivered at the Seventh World Congress of the Communist International in 1935.

“When and if fascism comes to America it will not be labeled ‘made in Germany’; it will not be marked with a swastika; it will not even be called fascism; it will be called, of course, ‘Americanism'” – An uncredited New York Times reporter covering Halford E. Luccock in an article published September 12, 1938.

“Perhaps it is a universal truth that the loss of liberty at home is to be charged against provisions against danger, real or pretended from abroad.” - Letter to Thomas Jefferson (1798-05-13); published in Letters and Other Writings of James Madison (1865), Vol. II, p. 141)
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 06:01:00 PM »

Yeah, I'm agreeing with jfern here. Cruz wouldn't have been Buckley's first choice but would be the only acceptable option left at this point.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 06:13:30 AM »

Yeah. Fortunately, we know exactly what Christopher Hitchens would say about Hillary Clinton, because he already said it:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And yes, I'd love to hear what these folks would have to say about Trump, Clinton, Sanders, and Cruz in the context of this election cycle.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies