Democratic Acela Corridor Tuesday results thread (all polls close at 8pm ET)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:26:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Democratic Acela Corridor Tuesday results thread (all polls close at 8pm ET)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
Author Topic: Democratic Acela Corridor Tuesday results thread (all polls close at 8pm ET)  (Read 17462 times)
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: April 26, 2016, 10:30:39 PM »

Oh, I saw this, it seemed pretty standard though.  He's not going to drop out and wants "issue-oriented campaigning" as always.

I imagine the negativity is over this time though. They realize it's over, even Jeff Weaver.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #451 on: April 26, 2016, 10:33:52 PM »

We're shifting from candidate campaign to issue campaign it seems.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #452 on: April 26, 2016, 10:35:15 PM »

I would be terrified to be at a Clinton rally. Literally any time the networks cut away to one, you can hear "Fight Song" in the background. Jesus Christ: is there some sort of subliminal brainwashing technique to it?

That song rules. I work out to Rachel Padden.

It's a fine song. It's not fine to play the song on an endless loop at any and every campaign event, which is the impression I keep getting every time I see coverage of one.

Very late reply here...

They played tons of different songs at the event, but whenever she takes or leaves the stage they play Fight Song. That's why it seems constant.

She's borrowing from Bill.  I imagine in 1992 and 96 people got really sick and tired of Fleetwood Mac
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #453 on: April 26, 2016, 10:35:56 PM »

As I expected, they're giving their supporters a chance to voice their support for Bernie, then effectively bowing out after California, or maybe D.C. He probably should've taken this approach after March 15th, but better late than never, I suppose.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #454 on: April 26, 2016, 10:47:27 PM »

McGinty has won. F##K! Congrats, Toomey.

Obama and Biden better work his butt off for McGinty. They own this race now.

Yep. If Toomey wins and decides control of the Senate, there should be a reckoning day.

Is McGinty really that terrible of a candidate?

She certainly isn't any better than Sestak. The last race she ran in she didn't even register in the double digits (Governor in 2014).

To be fair to her though, she was basically a Some Chick at that point running against 3 heavyweights.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #455 on: April 26, 2016, 10:47:56 PM »

We're shifting from candidate campaign to issue campaign it seems.

Bernie was always running an issue campaign.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #456 on: April 26, 2016, 10:48:28 PM »

Sanders Redditers are still saying CA will go big for Bernie and then he'll win a contested convention with the superdelgates.

Bernie only needs to win 83% in California.  Simple!
MisSkeptic
United States

« Reply #457 on: April 26, 2016, 10:49:42 PM »

Sanders Redditers are still saying CA will go big for Bernie and then he'll win a contested convention with the superdelgates.

Bernie only needs to win 83% in California.  Simple!

That would only happen in a parallel universe.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #458 on: April 26, 2016, 10:51:35 PM »

You guys can do what most people with U.S. maps do... make the country's map small enough (or the border lines thick enough) that you can't even see RI Tongue

What happened in RI? You were pretty confident Hillary would win it, right? Did the indies come out in full force?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #459 on: April 26, 2016, 10:55:02 PM »

How's the reaction on Reddit? Also, Bernie clearly loves Atlas by trying to make the map more even in the last few weeks.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #460 on: April 26, 2016, 10:55:17 PM »

You guys can do what most people with U.S. maps do... make the country's map small enough (or the border lines thick enough) that you can't even see RI Tongue

Good idea.  Problem solved:

Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #461 on: April 26, 2016, 10:58:35 PM »

^I can't see DE either. I guess it must've gone for Sanders too. Tongue
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #462 on: April 26, 2016, 11:03:09 PM »

Time to switch into GE mode.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #463 on: April 26, 2016, 11:04:12 PM »

What the heck is wrong with Sullivan County, PA?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #464 on: April 26, 2016, 11:06:59 PM »

The Maryland bloodbath is almost erased too.  Everybody wins with this map.  Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #465 on: April 26, 2016, 11:09:07 PM »

Well, it's over now...

Actually, it was already over for some time, but congrats to Hillary supporters are in order.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #466 on: April 26, 2016, 11:10:50 PM »

My reactions to this election night...

PA: Honestly, I started getting Michigan flashbacks when Bernie was ahead in Philly with <1% in. This must be PTSD or something.

As for PA overall, it looks like a 12 point margin, which is about what I expected. But the regional splits were completely unexpected, at least to me. I expected Hillary to do much better in the Philly metro area and Bernie to do much better in the West and Central PA. Apparently the NYT thought so too, since that would explain why their Upshot prediction was only having Hillary winning by 2-4 points based off the Philly results. It looks like Bernie really did make some inroads with minorities, assuming the early CNN exit polls held up. Bernie really underperformed in Centre County in particular, the home of Penn State. It's (barely) in the single digits right now. IIRC, Obama nearly won it by 20. On the bright side, he did continue his Clinton County winning streak.

I've already given my thoughts on the Senate primary basically. McGinty can win, but it's going to be tougher than it would've been with Sestak. I'm surprised she won by such a large margin, but I guess I shouldn't be considering she had the late momentum. Fetterman's result was pretty stunning actually. I thought he'd be lucky to break double digits. I remember him nearly beating Sestak earlier in the night, though he's fallen further behind now.

The indicted Chaka Fattah (PA-02) lost his primary to Dwight Evans. Yay for integrity!

DE: Remember that glitch where Bernie got like 80% in Sussex County? I was WTF'ing hard at that. Actually, I'm surprised Hillary won that county. Gravis is junk as always. Oddly, a lot of people seemed to think Bernie had a chance here. Because it was a tiny state in the Northeast I guess? But the demographics were obviously bad even without polling.

MD: Slaughter! As expected. I'm sad Edwards lost, but Van Hollen is cool too, so whatever. Bernie seems to have underperformed in Western MD. Why is Other so high in Maryland? At first I thought O'Malley wason the ballot, but tons voted Uncommitted for some reason.

CT: Sorry Connecticut, everything about you was boring and expected.

RI: WTF happened here? I thought Bernie would probably win it, but not my double digits. On the bright side, this keeps my record as OK/MI as my only wrongly predicted states.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #467 on: April 26, 2016, 11:11:37 PM »

DE is going to be the only small (3-4 EV) state to go for Clinton in all likelihood.

I'm more concerned with Sestak/Edwards losing than Bernie not performing well.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #468 on: April 26, 2016, 11:15:41 PM »

Image will update every 10 minutes or so; hard refresh may be needed.

I'll probably do KS & MN by CD in the next day or two. NV, IA & ME are impossible, though. Obviously states where both parties haven't had their elections yet are not colored, either, and some others may remain blank due to the fact that comparing a primary for one party to a caucus for the other party - held on separate days - will produce irrelevant comparisons.

Full-size image

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #469 on: April 26, 2016, 11:20:22 PM »

Have we talked about the Maryland Senate race yet? Can we talk about the Maryland Senate race? Bernie Sanders shouldn't feel so bad: black voters threw Donna Edwards under the bus, too!

Name recognition, FTW!
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #470 on: April 26, 2016, 11:24:43 PM »

PA: Honestly, I started getting Michigan flashbacks when Bernie was ahead in Philly with <1% in. This must be PTSD or something.

Ugh, tell me about that.  I wonder how long it will be before I stop worrying that polls are underestimating Clinton by 20+ points or she's going to lose major urban areas to Bernie.

MD: Slaughter! As expected. I'm sad Edwards lost, but Van Hollen is cool too, so whatever.

I've honestly never been more revolted by a candidate than Edwards.  She was obviously inferior to Van Hollen when you compare their records as congressmen, but tried to make up the gap with an unholy combination of Cruz-style justification of incompetence (I sucked in Congress because I was busy fighting the establishment), Sanders-style attacks (he took money from Wall Street to vote for their favorite bill!) and heavy-handed borderline-racist identity politics (isn't it about time you had a Senator who represents YOU instead of another white man?)  She's basically the ultimate tea-party-of-the-left candidate.  Her losing is my favorite result of the night.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #471 on: April 26, 2016, 11:25:24 PM »

Good idea.  Problem solved:

Thank you for fixing the map based god.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #472 on: April 26, 2016, 11:29:56 PM »

Excellent statement by the Bernie campaign. This is exactly how they should be running from now on.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #473 on: April 26, 2016, 11:33:48 PM »

Excellent statement by the Bernie campaign. This is exactly how they should be running from now on.

I agree completely. Hopefully they kick all those idiotic surrogates off the campaign trail for good measure too.

Also, congrats to the Clinton and her supporters on their big wins tonight.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #474 on: April 26, 2016, 11:34:34 PM »

I talked to many people in line at the Hillary rally, and none of them had a negative thing to say about Bernie, except that Hillary was better (though one person did mention Berniebros). When CNN showed his speech there was no booing at all, and lots of applause when Hillary congratulated him.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies