Blair's Back: Blair 4 Senate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:04:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Blair's Back: Blair 4 Senate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Blair's Back: Blair 4 Senate  (Read 1216 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 26, 2016, 07:49:55 AM »
« edited: April 26, 2016, 09:31:26 AM by Senator Blair »

Senator Blair meets supporters in Boston

''Am I everything you need? You better rock your body now''

'Yes, I just did come on stage to the backstreet boys, and it's true- Blair is back. Now I'm not expecting all of you to jump with joy, but it's with great joy that I announce my bid to get elected as Senator for the Northeast. Now I could bore you with a long, and rather well uninteresting speech but the truth is that the Northeast knows me- probably a bit too well.

Since October I've served as Governor in the Northeast, and we've had a great time. We've created jobs, we've put money back into the economy and we've protected ourself from the biggest threat facing Atlasia-ISIS. As Senator this will be my number one concern-defeating ISIS not only in Atlasia, but also in the Northeast. Now I'm sure you all want a Senator who can lead, not just one who turns up to vote every couple of weeks.

This is my pitch to the voters of the Northeast- I'll be fighting for you every day of the week in the Senate. Whether it's legislation to create high skilled jobs, legislation to help small businesses or legislation to help women's healthcare centres I want to be a strong voice. I've got long, and rather too healthy with a number of Senators already serving- CSX was my Lt.Gov, Leinad and I took action together to defeat ISIS, POTUS has given me detailed policy advice and Kent served as Speaker. I hope that the voters of the Northeast will give me the chance to serve in this fine chamber.

We're nearing the end of this era in Atlasia, to put it simply we need someone who can help steer Atlasia through this. I've served as Assembly-member, Speaker, Senator, Senate Speaker, Home Affairs Secretary, Governor and now again as Senator-thank god I don't have to get it all on one door sign I'm sad to leave the Governors mansion, but I know that I can continue to serve the Northeast in the Senate. I would be blessed if I could have the support of the people in the Northeast, and continue to fight for you.

Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 03:51:38 PM »

ENDORSED! Your experience serving the Northeast and the Atlasian people is unrivaled, and for the life of me I can't think of anyone who could do this job better than yourself. Welcome to the Senate!
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 04:21:15 PM »

Endorsed
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 04:26:29 PM »

Endorsed. I hope to see you in the Senate.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 06:42:26 AM »

I was never a fan of appointment to elected office. A new Senator would have been elected within a week. The Senate has been in low activity mode for months. Missing one Senator for a week would have no impact. You didn't have to self-appoint, just declare you are a cadidate and leave the other job if you are elected. 
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 07:17:18 AM »

I was never a fan of appointment to elected office. A new Senator would have been elected within a week. The Senate has been in low activity mode for months. Missing one Senator for a week would have no impact. You didn't have to self-appoint, just declare you are a cadidate and leave the other job if you are elected. 

I had a constitutional duty to appoint a Senator, in the same way that I had a constitutional duty to appoint members of the Northeast Assembly. As always I trust the judgment of the people of the Northeast, who elected me to a full term; it also allowed a new Governor to be elected by the people of the Northeast much sooner. In my defense I also had a mandate from the people of the Northeast in February who elected both a laborite to the Senate, and myself to the Governorship
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 07:20:29 AM »

I had a constitutional duty to appoint a Senator, in the same way that I had a constitutional duty to appoint members of the Northeast Assembly. As always I trust the judgment of the people of the Northeast, who elected me to a full term; it also allowed a new Governor to be elected by the people of the Northeast much sooner. In my defense I also had a mandate from the people of the Northeast in February who elected both a laborite to the Senate, and myself to the Governorship

I can honestly say that I don't really see the big deal. Blair being appointed had nothing to do with nobody challenging him. No one challenged Blair because he's immensely popular and, quite frankly, probably undefeatable.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 08:10:38 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Duty? It depends of the meaning of may. I take it as permission and not an obligation. The Governor can use his judgement. Yes he has the constitutional right to be self-serving.

It seems more fair for all to declare and not jump on the job.

Was he undefeatable? If you transpose the votes from RGN got and instead ran in the Senate or another Federalist, maybe a few votes might change but it would be close.

I don't get the trend of resigning for an office when you don't have to anf face an election. Besides the Governor, not sure Kingpoleon should have resigned from assembly. When you are acting Governor you are still a representative. Don't know if this will be interpreted has no longer being a representative.
Former Lincoln Assemblyman & Lt. Gov. RGN
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix
E: 2.31, S: 4.47

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 08:14:33 AM »

Duty? It depends of the meaning of may. I take it as permission and not an obligation. The Governor can use his judgement. Yes he has the constitutional right to be self-serving.

Was he undefeatable? If you transpose the votes from RGN got and instead ran in the Senate or another Federalist, maybe a few votes might change but it would be close.

I don't get the trend of resigning for an office when you don't have to anf face an election. Besides the Governor, not sure Kingpoleon should have resigned from assembly. When you are acting Governor you are still a representative. Don't know if this will be interpreted has no longer being a representative.
It was stipulated in the constitution that the acting gov can still retain his position as representative but he's not allowed to perform assembly duties
Former Lincoln Assemblyman & Lt. Gov. RGN
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix
E: 2.31, S: 4.47

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 08:15:01 AM »

Correct if I'm wrong
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 08:28:15 AM »

Like I have problems with the word may, now the word shall. Is it an obligation to be a representative to fill the role of acting Governor.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 08:29:42 AM »

What's your issue?

When voters voted for me in February they knew I'd have the power to appoint someone to the Assembly, when voters voted for Pikachu they knew they'd be electing a Laborite to the Senate. I really don't get the issue here; I've got two pretty healthy mandates to lead- I've done absolutely nothing wrong
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 08:59:46 AM »

Like I have problems with the word may, now the word shall. Is it an obligation to be a representative to fill the role of acting Governor.

I resigned as a matter of interpretation. I couldn't take the seat back if I lost my special election, in my opinion. If my successor as Governor chooses to re-appoint me to the Assembly, then I'll go back. Otherwise I will not, as the Northeast has chosen to not elect me.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 10:49:12 AM »

What's your issue?

When voters voted for me in February they knew I'd have the power to appoint someone to the Assembly, when voters voted for Pikachu they knew they'd be electing a Laborite to the Senate. I really don't get the issue here; I've got two pretty healthy mandates to lead- I've done absolutely nothing wrong

All you have done is legal.
I have a general issue with appointments when they are not necessary. I prefer the voters choose who represents them. Also appointment to office can be viewed as trying to give someone an advantage because the person will already play the role. There is lot of dislike for special election so I'm probably in the minority (but people don't blame those causing special elections by not finishing the job they were elected to do).

Self-appointing is the worst because it's for personal gain and you are not the first. It just seems to me the right thing to do if you want to run is declare without appointing yourself. Seems fair. There is nothing in the Senate that is urgent. You arrive a week later you will have missed nothing.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 11:00:35 AM »

What's your issue?

All you have done is legal.
I have a general issue with appointments when they are not necessary. I prefer the voters choose who represents them. Also appointment to office can be viewed as trying to give someone an advantage because the person will already play the role. There is lot of dislike for special election so I'm probably in the minority (but people don't blame those causing special elections by not finishing the job they were elected to do).

Self-appointing is the worst because it's for personal gain and you are not the first. It just seems to me the right thing to do if you want to run is declare without appointing yourself. Seems fair. There is nothing in the Senate that is urgent. You arrive a week later you will have missed nothing.

Yeah I'm just trying to get on the infamous Atlasian Senate Gravy Train.

You know when I was Speaker back in July people said there was nothing urgent-then TNF launched his coup and the Senate had to spring to action. The same when ISIS attacked Dearborn- I represent, and serve the people of the Northeast. I'm not going to let anything stop the people of the Northeast being represented in the Senate.

As most people can attest to I'm often (I hope) relatively calm, relaxed and diplomatic about these things. But being attacked for A.) Doing my Job as Governor B.) Not giving the people a choice (Despite winning re-election, and subsequently winning election to the Senate) is beyond the pale.  I served as Governor for 6 months, and luckily the people of the Northeast disagree with you on this issue. The people have voted
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 03:17:54 PM »

I resigned as a matter of interpretation. I couldn't take the seat back if I lost my special election, in my opinion. If my successor as Governor chooses to re-appoint me to the Assembly, then I'll go back. Otherwise I will not, as the Northeast has chosen to not elect me.

That's simply not how being Acting Governor works.  The Acting Governor is just the Lt. Governor with all executive and no legislative powers, to get around the dual officeholder rules.  The Lt. Governor MUST be a Northeast Representative.  Therefore, the Acting Governor must be, too.  But he or she can't vote in the Assembly while exerting executive powers.

As you resigned on April 28 after the new Assembly was sworn in, I guess we have to have a special election for 2 Assembly seats this weekend. 

But I have to certify the election results first.  Stranger things have happened when looking into things like activity requirements.  I will get to that this evening.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 05:07:56 PM »

I don't question your competence or your victory. I have a problem with the action of self-appointment. People with power should use it carefully. I am suggesting a way to act that is neutral when you want to run. Name someone for the interim that will just fill the role if it's important to have someone in that office or let it vacant for a few days. The Northeast didn't suffer from no Senator for a week. Since your appointment there have been a grand total of two active thread in the Senate.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies