Who did you vote for today?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:40:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Who did you vote for today?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: .
Trump

Cruz

Kasich

Clinton

Sanders

Did not vote

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: Who did you vote for today?  (Read 2219 times)
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 26, 2016, 09:04:35 AM »

I decided after the March 15th primaries that the Dem nomination was over so I registered as a 'R' where I felt my vote would have more impact. Secondly, i'm far more scared of Trump than I am of Clinton so I voted for Kasich in CT with the hopes that Trump is held under 50%.

/endAttentionWhoring
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 09:54:31 AM »

Who WHOM did I vote for? Well, I'll vote my secret ballot by voting for one of the listed candidates (in this poll). But guess what? It doesn't matter, because it's just a "beauty" contest in PA. Delegates are elected separately and the GOP screwed their voters here by not letting them vote for delegates committed to a certain candidate. Dems didn't provide enough delegates. (three candidates on the Dem side, one of which not included in this poll because he so far has zero delegates and had none on the ballot).
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 09:58:13 AM »

haha.  That's the first thing I noticed as well.  Typical Sandernista.  We're not very good at delegate math, apparently, but we have the grammar rules down.

I'll vote for Bernie in this thread after I vote this afternoon.

ˇhasta la victoria!
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 10:09:03 AM »

That's a secret.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 10:14:24 AM »

haha.  That's the first thing I noticed as well.  Typical Sandernista.  We're not very good at delegate math, apparently, but we have the grammar rules down.

ˇhasta la victoria!

Actually, both "who" and "whom" are acceptable forms in this syntactic context. "Whom" has been falling out of favor over the time because it is perceived as overly formal or pompous, especially in an informal board such as Atlas, while a good number of those who use it, hyperwhom as they no longer intrinsically know the original rule underlying "whom." Just my 2 cents.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 10:16:03 AM »

I think it's pretty obvious considering your posting history.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 10:17:16 AM »

It has been over two months since I cast my vote for Marco Rubio
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 10:25:44 AM »

haha.  That's the first thing I noticed as well.  Typical Sandernista.  We're not very good at delegate math, apparently, but we have the grammar rules down.

ˇhasta la victoria!

Actually, both "who" and "whom" are acceptable forms in this syntactic context. "Whom" has been falling out of favor over the time because it is perceived as overly formal or pompous, especially in an informal board such as Atlas, while a good number of those who use it, hyperwhom as they no longer intrinsically know the original rule underlying "whom." Just my 2 cents.

If "who did you vote for" is correct, then so must "I voted for he" be correct.  Obviously it is not.  

do you also like lovesongs about you and I?  Share secrets between you and I?  Only if you and me are going steady, baby. 

Both forms are acceptable?  Perhaps they are acceptable in the same way that calling Mexicans and Muslims dirty names is acceptable.  If President Trump does it enough, then it becomes normal.  I don't care if President Trump thinks that "who" can be used in the context of the objective form of the personal pronoun, it still does not make it grammatically correct.  Not even in the middle of Fifth Avenue.  I don't think you're giving the forum enough credit.  I suspect that most posters here remember the difference between an objective form and a nominative form for personal pronouns, even though they might not always obey those rules.  

Who voted?  I voted.  (I am the actor, therefore the subject)

Whom did I vote for?  I voted for him.  (he is the receiver of the action, therefore the object)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 10:33:10 AM »

Chris Christie wasn't on the ballot though?
mds32
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 11:25:14 AM »

I voted for Kasich
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 11:27:12 AM »

Donald J. Trump.

Don't care who wins the D side, so I switched to R to vote for someone who I actually wanted to win. Whether or not I stay an R depends upon what happens. I will not support Ted Cruz or John Kasich, nor will I support Pat Toomey.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 12:08:29 PM »

I'll be voting for Kasich in a few hours.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 12:24:33 PM »

Did not vote.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 12:24:47 PM »

LOL "methinks thou dost protest too much" I know me shouldn't say that but me can think it..

(from the recently deceased mother on Everybody loves Raymond)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 12:39:21 PM »

¡hasta la victoria!

If "who did you vote for" is correct, then so must "I voted for he" be correct.  Obviously it is not. 

do you also like lovesongs about you and I?  Share secrets between you and I?  Only if you and me are going steady, baby. 

Both forms are acceptable?  Perhaps they are acceptable in the same way that calling Mexicans and Muslims dirty names is acceptable.  If President Trump does it enough, then it becomes normal.  I don't care if President Trump thinks that "who" can be used in the context of the objective form of the personal pronoun, it still does not make it grammatically correct.  Not even in the middle of Fifth Avenue.  I don't think you're giving the forum enough credit.  I suspect that most posters here remember the difference between an objective form and a nominative form for personal pronouns, even though they might not always obey those rules. 

Who voted?  I voted.  (I am the actor, therefore the subject)

Whom did I vote for?  I voted for him.  (he is the receiver of the action, therefore the object)

The problem here is that you're comparing personal pronouns and relative pronoun declensions, and they are not within the same paradigm. What's the second person plural of "who"? There is none. You wouldn't compare these in the same way you wouldn't compare them to adjectives, even though adjectives are further apart and serve a different function of course.

Racial relations and language variation and change are two entirely different issues, and you shouldn't compare them. Frankly, the fact you're making such a comparison is asinine.

Language change will always happen, like it or not. Do you say "thee" or "thine," or do you say "you" and "your"?

English at one point was much more synthetic and has become analytical over the last millennium. This means that it is not dependent on grammatical case any longer and relies on syntactic positions and "markers" such as prepositions to establish grammatical relationships rather than morphology.

Just because, at one point, "whom" marked objective (actually dative) case as opposed to "who," which was nominative, doesn't mean that is the situation today. I'm not saying nobody here recognizes the difference, it's that the difference is no longer productive in any, but the most formal registers of English, and this forum does not fall under that register.

Sure, you're welcomed to follow the rule if you like, but going around correcting people as if nobody else understood what they meant to assert some sort of superior position in a context that does not merit it does not mean you are right. Sure, it is used in the objective case nowadays, so far as the prescriptive rule goes, but, descriptively, almost everyone prefers the paradigm-leveled "who".

You can PM me if you'd like to talk more about the subject. I don't want to hijack the thread more than we already have.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 12:46:31 PM »

I started a different thread as it wasn't my intention to hijack this one:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=235398.0
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 01:40:43 PM »

De La Fuente, obviously.
PaperKooper
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.23, S: 5.57

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2016, 01:48:22 PM »

Ted Cruz 2016. 
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2016, 01:49:01 PM »

Maybe he will win Pennsylvania and shake things up a bit.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2016, 03:00:55 PM »

I was undecided going into the poll booth today. I supported Rubio from start to finish, then jumped to Cruz, but over the last few weeks I've been inching closer to Trump.

But, his supporters insanity is too much for me to want to associate with. So, I stuck with Cruz.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2016, 05:12:45 PM »

Went with Sanders, Sestak, and Shapiro for President, Senator, and AG.  There were also some local offices.  

I spoiled a ballot.  That has never happened before.  I picked up my son and we went in together.  No line per se.  I walked up the path, into Saint Thomas Episcopal church, and into the big room where was a table with an old man who found my name and asked me to sign.  there was a big stack of paper squares, some marked D and some marked R.  He gave me a D and I took it to an even older woman who gave me a ballot.  I took my son with me to one of the little tables with side blinders and tried to explain to him why Donald Trump was not one of the choices.  Then I explained that I was going to vote for Sanders.  And Sestak.  I haven't been following the AG race so we played eenie-meenie-miney-mo and came up with Shapiro for AG.  And there were a few other local races and I've been spammed enough by them to know which ones I dislike least.  The ballot said to flip over and vote on the other side, so I flipped it over and it asked us to "pick not more than five" delegates.  I just went with the first five.  My son pointed out that some of them said "committed to Bernie Sanders" and I'd accidentally picked some that were "committed to Hillary Clinton."  Ewww.  I felt like I needed a long, hot shower, with bleach.  I thanked him for pointing out that I should choose Sanders delegates so I approached the old woman and apologized profusely for spoiling the ballot.  She just took my ballot and smiled and said, "oh, I see you're a Democrat.  That happens sometimes with Democrats."  I don't know if that was meant to be a joke.  Anyway, I apologized again and she just smiled and gave me a new one, which I was careful to mark correctly.  I also voted no on the two propositions, but I'm led to believe recently that it doesn't matter for one of them because it has been invalidated and will appear later this year with different wording.  Afterward, I tore off the stub, fed it into the scanner/reader and got my "I voted" sticker, and headed to Oregon Dairy for some Black Raspberry ice cream.  

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2016, 05:21:16 PM »

Waiting for my absentee ballot.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2016, 05:28:01 PM »

Only 36% of posters don't live in one of the states that voted today?  LOL.
Camaro33
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.23, S: 0.17

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2016, 07:24:07 PM »

Trump. His CT win will be yuuuuuge
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2016, 07:46:15 PM »