Former Speaker Dennis Hastert sentenced to 15 months in prison
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:27:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Former Speaker Dennis Hastert sentenced to 15 months in prison
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Former Speaker Dennis Hastert sentenced to 15 months in prison  (Read 1404 times)
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 27, 2016, 12:09:11 PM »
« edited: April 27, 2016, 12:40:36 PM by Green Line »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-dennis-hastert-sentencing-20160427-story.html

Former Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert was sentenced to 15 months in federal prison today.  He admitted today to sexually abusing some of the young men he coached at Yorkville High School many years ago.  What a disgusting story and a massive disappointment for the thousands of people who looked up to him.  Interestingly, the presiding Judge who sentenced him is the brother of Republican House leader Jim Durkin, and one of the young men whom Hastert abused is the younger brother of former Republican leader Tom Cross.

15 months is not nearly enough but at least it is better than probation to 6 months, which is what the prosecution recommended.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 12:35:43 PM »

Only 15 months? This sad excuse for a human being deserves much more than that.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 12:52:57 PM »

I guess this derails the attempt to get Hastert as nominee at a brokered convention...
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 02:33:24 PM »

What will they call the Hastert Rule now?
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 02:36:14 PM »

I somehow hadn't realized what the charges against him were.  I thought they were just campaign finance-related, but these are really bad.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 02:39:11 PM »

I somehow hadn't realized what the charges against him were.  I thought they were just campaign finance-related, but these are really bad.
The official charges against him are only related to financial issues.  The child molesting stuff only came out later and is well past the statute of limitations.

And yes, the testimony of the victims makes my skin crawl. 
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 02:42:43 PM »

The official charges against him are only related to financial issues.  The child molesting stuff only came out later and is well past the statute of limitations.
Yeah, which is why he'll probably be doing fed time in a minimum-security prison camp. This guy wouldn't last a week in state.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 02:54:29 PM »

I guess this derails the attempt to get Hastert as nominee at a brokered convention...
oh, i don't know... he'd still do better in the general than cruz
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 03:09:35 PM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-dennis-hastert-sentencing-20160427-story.html

Former Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert was sentenced to 15 months in federal prison today.  He admitted today to sexually abusing some of the young men he coached at Yorkville High School many years ago.  What a disgusting story and a massive disappointment for the thousands of people who looked up to him.  Interestingly, the presiding Judge who sentenced him is the brother of Republican House leader Jim Durkin, and one of the young men whom Hastert abused is the younger brother of former Republican leader Tom Cross.

15 months is not nearly enough but at least it is better than probation to 6 months, which is what the prosecution recommended.

Jesus christ!  Did Chris Christie get his old job back or something?
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 03:19:42 PM »

Well, at least they actually put him in prison.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 03:27:38 PM »

Well, at least they actually put him in prison.
Yeah, this sentence was quite heavier than expected.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 04:08:32 PM »

By the way, why the hell is there a statute of limitations for molesting children?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 04:14:16 PM »

By the way, why the hell is there a statute of limitations for molesting children?
It was so long ago that there would be no evidence apart from the word of the victims.  It would be his word against theirs, and I don't think that is enough to convict someone.  Hastert has confessed to it now, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have done so if there was a chance that he would have been prosecuted for it.

But I'm not a legal expert, so I don't really know for sure.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 05:11:01 PM »

Fifteen months would be a reasonable sentence if paired with castration.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 06:14:17 PM »

A good question to ask of the political establishment in the state of Illinois. I'm sure that we all have our theories.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2016, 08:59:58 PM »

A good question to ask of the political establishment in the state of Illinois. I'm sure that we all have our theories.

It's almost as if there was a notable politician from there who greatly took advantage of said laws, and was able to crush any reform to those laws.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 12:45:05 AM »

I do wonder if Illinois will change that in light of this.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 12:48:38 AM »

The only Republican Speaker to leave office without resigning in disgrace in the last 60 years....
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 12:53:47 AM »

What is ridiculous is that somewhere pointed out if he received a parking ticket at the school at one point while he was molesting the boys and hadn't paid it, he could still be prosecuted for that, but not the molestation.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2016, 03:15:10 AM »

What is ridiculous is that somewhere pointed out if he received a parking ticket at the school at one point while he was molesting the boys and hadn't paid it, he could still be prosecuted for that, but not the molestation.
Do you really not see why parking tickets and sexual assault accusations are treated differently with regard to the statute of limitations?  It seems pretty obvious to me.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2016, 05:20:38 AM »

Do you really not see why parking tickets and sexual assault accusations are treated differently with regard to the statute of limitations?  It seems pretty obvious to me.

Because lawmakers are more likely to be prosecuted for sexual assault than for a parking fine.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2016, 10:12:52 PM »

It was so long ago that there would be no evidence apart from the word of the victims.  It would be his word against theirs, and I don't think that is enough to convict someone.  

This seems about right. Most states do extend the statute of limitations for molestation so that it begins when the victim turns 18, as opposed to when the crime first happens. But we're talking decades here.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2016, 04:44:13 AM »

This is like putting a murderor away for tax evasion.

The only Republican Speaker to leave office without resigning in disgrace in the last 60 years....

Technically, he did resign in disgrace. Just several months after stepping down as Republican Leader.

It's almost as if there was a notable politician from there who greatly took advantage of said laws, and was able to crush any reform to those laws.

Considering that is basically how he made his money, it doesn't surprise me.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2016, 05:32:22 AM »

Technically, he did resign in disgrace. Just several months after stepping down as Republican Leader.

Oh, I forgot about that. I had thought he didn't seek re-election. That's what Senate Majority Leader Frist did in 2006.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2016, 05:56:53 AM »

Oh, I forgot about that. I had thought he didn't seek re-election. That's what Senate Majority Leader Frist did in 2006.

Yeah, Hastert stepped down as Republican leader in the House when the Republicans lost their majority in '06.  This followed a few months of calls for Hastert to resign over his involvement in the Mark Foley scandal.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies