Hispanic Voter Registration Spikes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:04:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Hispanic Voter Registration Spikes
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hispanic Voter Registration Spikes  (Read 1109 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 27, 2016, 06:19:34 PM »

All thanks to Donald Trump:

Hispanic voter registration spikes

By Rafael Bernal - 04/27/16 01:14 PM EDT

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 06:25:24 PM »

Donald Trump should probably talk about the wall one more time. I'm sure that'll fix it.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 06:30:01 PM »

This (combined with Trump's Mormon bigotry) should position Hillary nicely for a first ever sweep of the Southwest in decades. 
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 06:54:21 PM »

I'm rooting for the Mormon-Hispanic anti-Trump alliance to flip Arizona.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 07:08:10 PM »

New mexico would be fine!
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 07:49:07 PM »

I'm rooting for the Mormon-Hispanic anti-Trump alliance to flip Arizona.

LOL.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 09:23:45 PM »

I happen to know a number of hispanic men who work for the Border Patrol and the INS here in California, and I have to say that the idea that hispanics will vote as a monolithic block against Donald Trump is simply a very big mistake. Like every other chunk of the population, you'll have those who oppose Trump and you'll have those who support him, and the fact that voter registration is spiking does not necessarily tell you anything about how those voters will be voting.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 10:04:48 PM »

I've been periodically checking new registrations via the voter file for my county over the past several years. Depending on the 6-month or 1-year period I'd inspect, that number was usually 15-20% Latino.

I just checked the past six months and new registrations are 25% Latino.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 10:07:12 PM »

I've been periodically checking new registrations via the voter file for my county over the past several years. Depending on the 6-month or 1-year period I'd inspect, that number was usually 15-20% Latino.

I just checked the past six months and new registrations are 25% Latino.

I happen to know a friend of mine who's in Georgia and is part of the Latino community, and they're rallying heavily against Trump. He's perceived as a real threat.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 12:05:46 AM »

This is the emerging Democratic majority. The GOP are dead nationally until they find their Bill Clinton. Karma for 50 years of pandering to George Wallace/Strom Thurmond voters.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 12:39:28 AM »

It's Hillslide time!
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 01:17:34 AM »

I happen to know a number of hispanic men who work for the Border Patrol and the INS here in California, and I have to say that the idea that hispanics will vote as a monolithic block against Donald Trump is simply a very big mistake. Like every other chunk of the population, you'll have those who oppose Trump and you'll have those who support him, and the fact that voter registration is spiking does not necessarily tell you anything about how those voters will be voting.

Uh huh. November is going to be a tough month for you.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 07:02:00 AM »

What else would possibly be driving such a heavy spike in registration specifically among this population?
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 08:30:02 AM »

Reason why Susana Martinez is the no brainer choice for Trump as VP. She checks all of the boxes he should be looking for in a running mate, I don't think there is another person out there who does.

Not saying this will make that much of a difference with this hispanic vote because people vote for the top of the ticket not the VP. BUT it certainly couldn't hurt him with trying to win over more of their votes.
skoods
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 08:50:01 AM »

Ah, the good old "I know a guy who thinks this way and therefore what the numbers prove must be wrong!" I get that from Bernie supporters a lot. Though, usually only the young, college student supporters.

"I don't know anyone who likes Hilary so I don't see how she can win."
Desroko
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 09:39:29 AM »

Ah, the good old "I know a guy who thinks this way and therefore what the numbers prove must be wrong!" I get that from Bernie supporters a lot. Though, usually only the young, college student supporters.

"I don't know anyone who likes Hilary so I don't see how she can win."

You can probably guess what rancid, fedora-infested, lolicon-obsessed corner of the internet that came from.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 12:15:23 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2016, 12:20:11 PM by ag »

Reason why Susana Martinez is the no brainer choice for Trump as VP. She checks all of the boxes he should be looking for in a running mate, I don't think there is another person out there who does.

Not saying this will make that much of a difference with this hispanic vote because people vote for the top of the ticket not the VP. BUT it certainly couldn't hurt him with trying to win over more of their votes.

She would severely hurt her social relationships if she accepts. I would not be surprised if much of her  family would disown her publicly if she does.

I do not think you really understand the feeling this guy has generated.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 12:59:46 PM »

Probably won't be enough to flip Texas but could it flip Arizona...

Expand this voter registration drive to NV and CO and you take those states out of play before the general election begins in earnest in the late summer
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 01:10:48 PM »

For Democrats, the one not-so-exciting thing about the Hispanic registration boom is that (as of 2010) 3/5 of Hispanics are concentrated in California, Texas, New York, Illinois, and New Jersey. Though an anti-Trump surge among Hispanics would certainly help in Nevada, Florida, and Colorado (and New Mexico and Arizona).
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 01:10:51 PM »

Probably won't be enough to flip Texas but could it flip Arizona...

Expand this voter registration drive to NV and CO and you take those states out of play before the general election begins in earnest in the late summer

My thought, is that it make take another 10-15 years or so, for it to "affect" Arizona.
But it can definitely help the D's in Colorado this year.
(Nevada, has become a consistent lean-D state.)
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2016, 02:17:00 PM »

You can probably guess what rancid, fedora-infested, lolicon-obsessed corner of the internet that came from.

People on Reddit have spouses?
Desroko
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2016, 11:53:10 PM »

People on Reddit have spouses?

Probably a body-pillow waifu.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2016, 01:24:48 AM »

This "spike", especially compared to the numbers provided for 2012, doesn't seem very dramatic really.

This is just a reflection of the changing demography of America, not some sudden "surge" because of Trump. It's only a "whopping" 2 million. All things considered that's not much, especially considering they are not tactically located.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies