Northeastern Gubernatorial Debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:24:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeastern Gubernatorial Debate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Northeastern Gubernatorial Debate  (Read 457 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 27, 2016, 10:17:10 PM »

I've been asked to host a Northeastern Gubernatorial Debate for this weekend's upcoming special election.  The candidates are Acting Governor Kingpoleon, Northeast Representative RGN08, and Northeastern Representative-elect (as of right now) SomebodyWhoExists.  The formal rules are still being hammered out, but it is expected that I will choose one question each from three proposed by each of the three candidates, with the possibility for me to ask follow-up questions.  All three questions will be asked simultaneously.  I am opening the debate thread now in the interest of time - and to allow for candidate opening statements.

Candidates, please give your opening statement and PM me with your proposed questions before noon Eastern time tomorrow.  Thank you.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 07:37:46 AM »

"Hello, my fellow Northeasterners! I want to begin by thanking my opponents for agreeing to this debate. Thank you, cinyc, for your willingness to host the debate. I'm very glad to be a part of the Northeast. We have wonderful politicians and citizens. Regardless of partisan affiliation or lack thereof, I can honestly say I know I don't seem like much, at least to me, compared to them.

"To give a few examples, Poirot, Winfield, and cinyc are all three independents with amazing efficiency and intelligence. Speaker Kent is a good friend of mine, and he is a good man. Over time, I have come to learn that he has integrity beyond anyone else I can recall - that mixture of being right, truthful, and the exact opposite of corruption. Governor Blair, meanwhile, I have known for a few months now. In that short period, I have learned his style of leadership and his unusual appeal. Few people can compare as to how he delicately handles everyone, yet acts always with the right amount of force.

"I have not come here to tear down my more experienced opponents. One reason I have come here is because I want to build up myself. I am no John Kennedy, and my opponents are no Richard Nixons. I am me, the candidate with the most activity, the most energy, the most enthusiasm, and the most ideas. I can apply these principles in practice very efficiently.

"It is important to know when to compromise, when to communicate, and when to commence. These are the important things of government. I argue not that I am the most experienced in this - I argue I am the most active in this. I have the most detail, in what I speak, in what I do, and what I plan. I will act, and what I say I will do, I will do.

Former Lincoln Assemblyman & Lt. Gov. RGN
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix
E: 2.31, S: 4.47

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 11:07:01 AM »

Good evening (I suppose), my fellow Northeasterners. First of all, I would want to thank my opponents for agreeing for this simple, yet meaningful debate. And of course to our moderator tonight, cinyc, and I can say this is a great privilege and honor for me to participate tonight. I also want to thank my many friends in Atlasia, for their support and also to the members of the Federalist Party for their trust in me as I wage this bid. First of all, I should make it very clear that I'm most proud to be a Northeasterner.

Reflecting on my ten months experience as a legislator, I've been through good times and bad times. I've witnessed my original colleagues leave the assembly and move on to higher levels. Many times, I've considered leaving also, I decided to stay until now even though my colleagues are coming from new sectors and from a newer generation of Atlasia. I've witnessed several crucial bills that can change the face of our region forever.

First of all, why did I run? That might have been your question also. This is not about being an independent or being a partisan leader. But it is about who is fit for office. Under our previous three governors, we've witnessed a lot of changes in this region, mostly beneficial. Their good performance are one of the factors why I am running in this election. Yes I've said that we don't have a Federalist governor in the Northeast, but it is not being about a Federalist, it is about bringing new ideas.

Now, here is what I'm fighting for (1) keep the legacies of our recent governors, as well the past governors alive by keeping most of their programs and projects that are still beneficial. (2) Better cooperation between the three branches of our government. (3) balance the current budget, although I can say that it is okay at this time but we will still try to make the best, better. There are still more to come.

As part of a big nation, gearing towards a newer one, constitution. I am optimistic and I am hopeful about our future yet until there is still work to do, we cannot rest. My government will not be a government in seclusion, but a transparency government. We will update you on our actions, decisions. I will also form a better cabinet to ensure a stable government in the months to come.

Thank you Smiley
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 06:05:47 PM »

Thank you for your opening statements.  I haven't heard back from Representative SomebodyWhoExists, but he is still entitled to give an opening statement with his answers to the following questions:

1) In your opinion, what are the most important challenges facing the Northeast and how do you propose to address these challenges?

2) If elected Governor, do you have a preferred candidate in mind for Speaker and/or Lieutenant Governor and what qualities does he/she/they have that make them a good legislative leader to you?

3) What are your two opponent's greatest strength and greatest weakness?  Please be specific.

You will have until Noon tomorrow to answer these questions, which will likely be immediately followed by closing statements, unless I have a follow-up question to one or more of your responses.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 08:43:23 PM »

1)
Quite frankly, our security is our biggest risk. I proposed the Northeast Guard just days before the terrorist attacks. I will not call it foresight, but I took a strong stance on regional defense before the terrorist attacks. Meanwhile, RGN said:
We should amend this bill. We should ask consent from the Senate, with the recommending approval of this assembly (should this bill pass)

However, he then proceeded to vote for the bill. I know that I expected politicians to flip flop easily, but on what was a VERY controversial bill, RGN seemed to change his stance once he thought people were afraid. SWE hasn't even taken a stance for or against this bill. While I respect my opponents and their long time in Atlasia, I cannot honestly say that they have spoken about this enough in my opinion.

2)
I would appoint NHI to one of the two offices, and then ask Poirot or Winfield to step into the Assembly and take up the other job. I consider all three of them very diligent and intelligent. Poirot was my predecessor as Speaker and frankly quite good at it. Winfield has a very long history in office, serving the Northeast. NHI is a moderate Federalist, and I consider his detail in story writing admirable. I think he might be able to transfer that over to writing legislation.

3)
a) SomebodyWhoExists: He is a very principled fighter. I consider him to be a formidable foe, as what he fights for he does not surrender, even if he does lose. However, he is controversial for being on trial for treason.

b) RGN: I consider his experience a good thing for the Assembly and it's votes, especially. Finally, RGN tends to be very simple, as he does not have an announcement speech or detailed policy plans. He's always been that way, as far as I can see, and I don't see him changing.
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 09:57:05 PM »

1) In your opinion, what are the most important challenges facing the Northeast and how do you propose to address these challenges?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

2) If elected Governor, do you have a preferred candidate in mind for Speaker and/or Lieutenant Governor and what qualities does he/she/they have that make them a good legislative leader to you?

3) What are your two opponent's greatest strength and greatest weakness?  Please be specific.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 08:24:54 PM »

Thank you for your responses.  I think I've left ample time for SomebodyWhoExists to respond.  He has not.  So, we shall now move on to closing statements, if the candidates desire to make one.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 12:24:33 AM »

"I am acutely aware that you have not elected me as your President Governor by your ballots, and so I ask you to confirm me as your Governor with your prayers. And I hope that such prayers will also be the first of many.

"If you have not chosen me by secret ballot, neither have I gained office by any secret promises. I have not campaigned either for the Governorship before taking office. I have not subscribed to any partisan platform. I am indebted to no man as I begin this very difficult job.

"I have not sought this enormous responsibility, but I will not shirk it. Those worked with me in the Assembly were my friends and are my friends. They were of both parties, elected by all the people and acting under the Constitution in their name. It is only fitting then that I should pledge to them and to you that I will be the Governor of all the people.

"Our Constitution works; our great Republic is a government of laws and not of men. Here the people rule. Let no man, woman or child tell you otherwise: your vote matters. You, the people, are the rulers and kings of all the land. With your votes you will decide this election. With your votes, you will decide our future. I ask that you weigh me and my past to the best of your capabilities, and I assure you that will not find me wanting."
RGN08
Philippines

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 02:17:04 AM »

Finally, I would want to thank (again) my opponents for participating in this simple, yet meaningful debate. Thank you also, to our moderator, cinyc.

As I've said, during my ten-month experience as a legislator, among all other things, I've witnessed several crucial bills that can change the face of our region forever. First is the devolution or the independence bill, we've come very close to being an independent nation. I believe that we will be better off if we stay here, stay on the track and thank Atlasia and ourselves, the people of the Northeast for our overall growth.

All I can say is, there are still more to come.

We must always set our sights on the future and keep an eye on our future and build bridges, not just bridges of iron and steel but bridges between people, generations and governments. I will ensure you a transparent government, a clean and honest government. I would be selecting the right people, not by their parties, but based on their work.

Let your vote be the bridge to take this New Northeast to the next level.

Thank you and God Bless Atlasia! Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies