Clinton says half her Cabinet will be women
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:05:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton says half her Cabinet will be women
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Clinton says half her Cabinet will be women  (Read 3753 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 28, 2016, 02:56:48 AM »

I guess this happened a couple of days ago, but I just saw it now:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/hillary-clinton-cabinet-women_us_571fdc6ce4b0b49df6a98491

You must be logged in to read this quote.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 05:32:24 AM »

She's shamelessly copying the epic FF Justin Trudeau. But this pathetic pandering won't hide her true colors of antifemi...

Oh wait, I thought it was "Give a jfern style response" thread.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 06:34:59 AM »

How about a cabinet that is 100% competent? Seriously Hill, can you stop pandering to my genitalia? It makes me uncomfortable. #safespace
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 06:41:23 AM »

a great gesture, but it doesn't cancel out her record
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 06:43:55 AM »

Inb4 "b- b- but muh meritocracy"
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 06:47:18 AM »

Don't worry, her male picks will be equally bad.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 06:48:00 AM »

O tempora! O lenocinium!
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 07:12:56 AM »

Look two posts up. You weren't quick enough.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 07:14:00 AM »

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 07:58:18 AM »

Show me on the doll where Hillary touched you.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 08:01:23 AM »

I suspect where, judging from the severe butthurt.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 08:42:26 AM »

I don't think she's going to have incompetent people on her cabinet. There's enough good women in politics for this not to be a bad pledge.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 08:46:19 AM »

Good. I believe that Clinton's cabinet could be all men, or all women; I don't care as long as they can perform their jobs in a competent manner.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 08:47:19 AM »

LOL typical Clinton statement, pandering for the woman vote as much as she can, what else is new?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 08:48:50 AM »

So she is pulling one of the worst pages from the book of one of the most disgraceful PMs in Canadian history - one that makes even Harper look good. Keep up the good work Hill. Maybe President Trump's DOJ will go easy on you if you hand him the WH keys.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 09:26:44 AM »
« Edited: April 28, 2016, 09:30:26 AM by Lyin' Steve »

If it's going to look like America, is she going to make sure it has exactly 10 whites, 2 blacks, 2 latinos, and 1 asian?  Will pacific islanders and native americans be banned because there's not enough of them in America so they don't "look like America?"  What about religion?  Only 2% of America is Jewish, will jews be banned from her cabinet since they don't "look like America?"  Also only 2-4% of America is gay, so is she going to ban gay people since they don't look like America?

One nice thing about the Trudeau administration is that he's gone so far that he's finally made a lot of Canadians turn against identity politics PC bullsh*t.  Maybe Clinton will be the same for the Democratic party, take us to peak identity politics and political correctness and then Americans will get sick of decisions being made based on gender/race/sexual orientation rather than what's best for the country.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 09:52:48 AM »

In all fairness she's hardly just going to pick the first 10 women off the street...
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 09:55:48 AM »

Flamby, Sturgeon, Lofven and Renzi made their cabinets equal as well, fwiw
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 09:56:12 AM »

In all fairness she's hardly just going to pick the first 10 women off the street...

Exactly. It's not like America doesn't have 5 very capable and experienced women for a presidential cabinet.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 10:06:02 AM »
« Edited: April 28, 2016, 10:09:24 AM by Lyin' Steve »

Exactly. It's not like America doesn't have 5 very capable and experienced women for a presidential cabinet.

It's also not like the best possible choices for most of the cabinet positions aren't men.  It's not anything wrong with women as a group; there just aren't as many women at the very top levels of government, academia and industry.  Would you rather have the absolute most capable and experienced cabinet member or a reasonably capable and experienced member who's also a woman?

What I want is very simple, I want her to do the best job she can without taking gender into consideration in her decisions.  Is a woman the best possible pick for Attorney General?  Pick the woman.  Is a woman the best possible pick for Secretary of State?  Pick the woman.  But if a man is the best possible choice, pick the man.  I don't care.  Just don't pick the woman when the man is the best possible choice solely because you want your cabinet to be gender-balanced.

If we keep doing this, other countries that don't do it are going to end up with stronger cabinets and outperform us.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2016, 10:20:22 AM »

Well, so far this thread proves exactly why I argued a few days ago that the United States is not actually ready for a female president, even though a female president is what they're going to get.

"How about a cabinet that is 100% competent?" Did some dope really just say that? They think so low of women that they believe Hillary will not be able to find ~10 competent ones for her cabinet? Sheesh. This is exactly why it's important to be up front about gender representation in politics, throw caution to the wind, and flatly argue that yeah, choosing someone because they are a woman is a good thing to do. Current systems of thought do not appropriately recognize the merits of women, so we need to make sure that there are policies in place that help give women a leg up over the invisible barriers they face. Otherwise we'll always have people in power cut from the same cloth and the ideals they reproduce will privilege the same people. And it will continue to look neutral because acting as if it is only merit that has gotten us centuries of mostly male cabinets allows us to not have to question what it would really mean to achieve gender parity. Look no further than this thread to see how threatening real equality of opportunity is.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2016, 10:22:10 AM »

It's also not like the best possible choices for most of the cabinet positions aren't men.  It's not anything wrong with women as a group; there just aren't as many women at the very top levels of government, academia and industry.  Would you rather have the absolute most capable and experienced cabinet member or a reasonably capable and experienced member who's also a woman?

What I want is very simple, I want her to do the best job she can without taking gender into consideration in her decisions.  Is a woman the best possible pick for Attorney General?  Pick the woman.  Is a woman the best possible pick for Secretary of State?  Pick the woman.  But if a man is the best possible choice, pick the man.  I don't care.  Just don't pick the woman when the man is the best possible choice solely because you want your cabinet to be gender-balanced.

If we keep doing this, other countries that don't do it are going to end up with stronger cabinets and outperform us.

It's really absurd that you think there is actually one objective best pick for a given job. It speaks to the biases that prevent women from being recognized.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2016, 10:23:30 AM »

Madame President, we must not allow a CABINET GAP!
BundouYMB

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2016, 10:24:11 AM »

It's also not like the best possible choices for most of the cabinet positions aren't men.  It's not anything wrong with women as a group; there just aren't as many women at the very top levels of government, academia and industry.  Would you rather have the absolute most capable and experienced cabinet member or a reasonably capable and experienced member who's also a woman?

What I want is very simple, I want her to do the best job she can without taking gender into consideration in her decisions.  Is a woman the best possible pick for Attorney General?  Pick the woman.  Is a woman the best possible pick for Secretary of State?  Pick the woman.  But if a man is the best possible choice, pick the man.  I don't care.  Just don't pick the woman when the man is the best possible choice solely because you want your cabinet to be gender-balanced.

There aren't many women at the very top levels of government, academia and industry... so lets not put women in positions at the very top levels of government, academia and industry. OK. Even though there's plenty of vastly over qualified women working at jobs below their level. Very good, very solid logic. Not circular at all.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2016, 10:46:18 AM »

How about a cabinet that is 100% competent? Seriously Hill, can you stop pandering to my genitalia? It makes me uncomfortable. #safespace

Good. I believe that Clinton's cabinet could be all men, or all women; I don't care as long as they can perform their jobs in a competent manner.

LOL typical Clinton statement, pandering for the woman vote as much as she can, what else is new?

All of the above.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies