Inside Cruz’s camp, confidence crumbling
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:55:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Inside Cruz’s camp, confidence crumbling
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Inside Cruz’s camp, confidence crumbling  (Read 1016 times)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 30, 2016, 11:08:54 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/ted-cruz-campaign-nervous-222675
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 11:29:48 PM »

"closed the gap"? It seems like Cruz is losing ground there fast, actually.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 11:30:42 PM »

A death spiral
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 11:34:51 PM »

But one random pollster we've never heard of had Cruz up by 16 and another random pollster we've never heard of had Trump only up by 2!

Sad that the most legit poll out for this week is ARG...
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 11:36:58 PM »

It's very clear, considering that the Governor endorsed him/found it politically expedient to endorse him, and that anti-Trump forces have been outspending the Trumpists in Indiana (which wasn't the case in the Mid-Atlantic), that Cruz is indeed closing the gap. But, as the article itself states: with 48 hours to go, he still seems to be down in a must-win state.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 11:40:09 PM »

It's very clear, considering that the Governor endorsed him/found it politically expedient to endorse him, and that anti-Trump forces have been outspending the Trumpists in Indiana (which wasn't the case in the Mid-Atlantic), that Cruz is indeed closing the gap. But, as the article itself states: with 48 hours to go, he still seems to be down in a must-win state.

That was one of the weakest "endorsement" I've ever seen.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 11:42:09 PM »

Yes. It's very clear that Pence doesn't actually support Cruz, but political reality forced him to lend his support to Cruz. This suggests that Cruz is at least doing not-too-terribly.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 11:45:14 PM »

Yes. It's very clear that Pence doesn't actually support Cruz, but political reality forced him to lend his support to Cruz. This suggests that Cruz is at least doing not-too-terribly.
...or perhaps the #NeverTrump forces said "Endorse Cruz, or we don't help you in your reelection bid this fall."  Remember, Pence isn't doing so hot.  He's in a virtual dead heat with his rival, and his rival is a Blue Dog Democrat in the mold of Evan Bayh and Frank O'Bannon.  Those types of Democrats do VERY well here in Indiana.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 11:47:55 PM »

They probably didn't want to sound too hopeless.

That said, I still think it's around 50-50.  Hopefully, a poll comes out tomorrow to clear things up.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 11:49:23 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2016, 11:50:55 PM by pppolitics »

"Folks, I just want to tell you that I am endorsing Ted Cruz, not because I want to, but because I was pressed to do so" - Pence

I am sure that will get Cruz a lot of votes
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 11:57:55 PM »

I do sympathize to some extent with Mike Pence in that he really had zero good options and had to choose what he felt was the least worst one.

But ultimately, it looks like he pissed off the Trump people by endorsing Cruz and he pissed off the Cruz people by giving him such a weak sauce endorsement.

And Mike Pence's behavior in Congress from 2009 to 2012 basically laid the groundwork for the hot mess his party is currently in, so if anyone deserves to be collateral damage, it's him.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 11:58:07 PM »

...or perhaps the #NeverTrump forces said "Endorse Cruz, or we don't help you in your reelection bid this fall."  Remember, Pence isn't doing so hot.  He's in a virtual dead heat with his rival, and his rival is a Blue Dog Democrat in the mold of Evan Bayh and Frank O'Bannon.  Those types of Democrats do VERY well here in Indiana.

Or he decided that the best way to bolster his chances in the fall was to place some distance between himself and Trump.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 12:03:45 AM »

Or he decided that the best way to bolster his chances in the fall was to place some distance between himself and Trump.

Hopefully Gregg can knock him out.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 12:29:48 AM »

Interesting side note, Trump's been campaigning around with Bobby Knight as his opening act, and Knight talks about Birch Bayh being one of the greatest men he ever knew.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 12:31:33 AM »

To be fair, Birch Bayh is basically a modern day James Madison. One of the few Senators who did something notable.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2016, 12:35:24 AM »

To be fair, Birch Bayh is basically a modern day James Madison. One of the few Senators who did something notable.

Yes, he's responsible for both constitutional amendments written in the last 50 years. Ironically the most recently passed amendment was written by James Madison.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2016, 12:39:26 AM »

Yes, he's responsible for both constitutional amendments written in the last 50 years. Ironically the most recently passed amendment was written by James Madison.

Yeah, I think one thing we can all agree on here at Atlas is that Birch Bayh was a beast.
His dad was the NCAA head and a basketball coach at Indiana State University, all the more reason for Bobby Knight to like him.
He saved Ted Kennedy's life once, and then endorsed Carter in 1980.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2016, 12:43:06 AM »

Bobby Knight is a far more valuable endorsement to have than that of big money people that have been out-spending Trump everywhere thus far and Mike Pence giving the most apathetic endorsement I've ever seen.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2016, 12:51:31 AM »

Yeah, I think one thing we can all agree on here at Atlas is that Birch Bayh was a beast.
His dad was the NCAA head and a basketball coach at Indiana State University, all the more reason for Bobby Knight to like him.
He saved Ted Kennedy's life once, and then endorsed Carter in 1980.

Bayh wrote two amendments, passed the ERA in the Senate, blocked two SCOTUS justices, and was the leader for a popular vote presidential election.

I want to point out, if it weren't for him, all three Kennedy boys would have died within six years and Carter would never have been challenged.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2016, 06:57:11 AM »

I think Cruz is running on fumes, and that Tuesday night will see the end of his campaign. (Sorry, Carly, you're no help).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/ted-cruz-campaign-nervous-222675
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2016, 07:49:07 AM »

Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2016, 07:52:56 AM »

Thank goodness...who wants to look at his smeary face for the next 6 months on TV?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies