How Donald Trump made me proud to be Hispanic
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:05:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  How Donald Trump made me proud to be Hispanic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: How Donald Trump made me proud to be Hispanic  (Read 3866 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2016, 11:03:14 PM »

Why do you guys always assume someone is trying to "remain separate". No one complained when there was a little Italy in every major city. No one complains when Russians or Poles had a separate district in cities. If anything, they were less quick to assimilate than immigrants are today! Come on now.
I do not hold double standards - of all European immigrant groups, the Italians did a terrible job at assimilation and still have work to do. I'm certain that Hispanics, Asians, etc. will assimilate just fine in time, but I don't think Democratic politicians help the process.

Part of the problem is the concentration of ethnic groups into their own communities. The Germans, Irish, Scandinavians, etc. assimilated because they dispersed across the country and intermarried with Americans. Italians stayed on the East Coast and lived in the same communities. You have this situation all over the American Southwest today, and also in places like Edison, NJ.

If you went through the countryside of the Midwest, Great Plains or Central Texas in the year 1900, you could find towns where the local newspaper was printed in German, there was a local Bund, and people spoke German at home as often as English.

That didn't noticeably stop until World War I and wasn't fully extinguished until World War II, when people stopped feeling "proud" to be German for obvious reasons.

As for the Irish, ever been to South Boston? You also had Irish-Americans supporting the IRA in its terror campaign against longtime US ally Britain in the 1980s.

Or does "assimilating" just mean "not being dark skinned" to you?
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2016, 11:05:27 PM »

Derpist, last time I checked, America was a MULTICULTURAL nation...so if I want to identify as ARAB-AMERICAN, PALESTINIAN-AMERICAN or MUSLIM-AMERICAN I can and will.

Multi-cultural can mean different things. It can mean countries like Brazil, Peru, and (yes!) Mexico. America is actually surrounded by nations of immigrants. America should obviously be in this category. They have all integrated newcomers while retaining their basic character.

Multi-cultural can also include places like Belgium or Yugoslavia (before it collapsed) or Lebanon (before jihadis started expelling Christians) or Nigeria. Their inability to integrate Muslims is leading many European nations into this group. America should not be in this group.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2016, 11:07:44 PM »

It was fairly biased against Trump.

But I was happy for the person involved. They seemed to have reached their satisfied 'self'.

Derpist
Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2016, 11:10:05 PM »

If you went through the countryside of the Midwest, Great Plains or Central Texas in the year 1900, you could find towns where the local newspaper was printed in German, there was a local Bund, and people spoke German at home as often as English.

That didn't noticeably stop until World War I and wasn't fully extinguished until World War II, when people stopped feeling "proud" to be German for obvious reasons.

As for the Irish, ever been to South Boston? You also had Irish-Americans supporting the IRA in its terror campaign against longtime US ally Britain in the 1980s.

Or does "assimilating" just mean "not being dark skinned" to you?

One of the many terrible ideas pushed  by the Progressive Movement was restricting German language education on that basis.

As I'm sure you know, the fear that German-Americans would be loyal to Germany in WW1 was totally false - as was the fear that Japanese-Americans would be loyal to Japan in WW2. Even stuff as intimate as language wasn't relevant in that question.

I simply cannot the same about some modern immigrants, especially a great number of those from Mexico. The author points out  how welded he is to American identity - how much he cheers for the US normally - because those things are NOT taken as a given anymore.

It is utterly unthinkable that masses of German-American or Japanese-American youth would burn American flags and foist German/Japanese flags.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2016, 11:15:26 PM »

And, everyone needs to remember that about 20-25% of the current continental US was previously part of Mexico. States from Texas, up to Utah and then west to California has individuals who were of Mexican and Spanish decent. Even after The Mexican Cession of 1848, these same individuals continued to live in the cities and communities within this territory.

So these people were in these states first. (And of course the Native Indians were here before all European colonists.)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2016, 11:21:43 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2016, 11:27:02 PM by White Light »

Yeah, I'm sure you would have said that when the English, Germans, and Irish were coming over. Oh wait, no you wouldn't have.
The English were the founding culture of America. The Germans and Irish both assimilated relatively quickly. The same should be expected of every other cultural group, aside from of course Native Americans.

And that is happening with every cultural group in America today, including Hispanics. Many don't even know how to speak Spanish!

The irony is the article this that started the thread is even proof of this. The writer's point was that he was so assimilated he barely even identified as Hispanic before Trump.
Derpist
Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2016, 11:22:38 PM »

I have faith that the US will integrate all immigrants, because it traditionally does. The countries of Europe are a different story- except perhaps Great Britain, they have not had many immigrants until the late 1900s.

I simply cannot see the United States as uniquely accepting, because that's just honestly not fair to a lot of other nations that have also been historically very accepting.

France has actually been historically been great at integrating non-French immigrants. Probably around 10% of France is actually of immigrant Italian descent - and that's not even counting famous Corsicans (like Napoleon). IIRC, Sarkozy has tons of immigrants in his family tree.

The newest generation of Muslim immigrants however, have integrated into French society very poorly. "because it traditionally does" first failed in France.

Obviously, Hispanics aren't Muslims so I think we'll be in a better position. A lot are integrating. But many are still not going to integrate. The fact that it's mostly the children of illegal immigrants who are committing the crimes and burning American flags is really scary.
Derpist
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2016, 11:24:50 PM »

The irony is the article this that started the thread is even proof of this. The writer's was that he was so assimilated he barely even identified as Hispanic before Trump.

The typical Jihadist in Western Europe doesn't speak a lick of Arabic and is extremely casual/non-devout about their Islam.

Which is why I think we're looking at a generation of people who are highly assimilated but have chosen not to integrate. Which is why the problem isn't one of culture - but a simpler, less justifiable one of SJW-driven disloyalty.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2016, 11:26:39 PM »

Why do you guys always assume someone is trying to "remain separate". No one complained when there was a little Italy in every major city. No one complains when Russians or Poles had a separate district in cities. If anything, they were less quick to assimilate than immigrants are today! Come on now.
I do not hold double standards - of all European immigrant groups, the Italians did a terrible job at assimilation and still have work to do. I'm certain that Hispanics, Asians, etc. will assimilate just fine in time, but I don't think Democratic politicians help the process.

Part of the problem is the concentration of ethnic groups into their own communities. The Germans, Irish, Scandinavians, etc. assimilated because they dispersed across the country and intermarried with Americans. Italians stayed on the East Coast and lived in the same communities. You have this situation all over the American Southwest today, and also in places like Edison, NJ.

To think we agree so much ideologically except on my core issue, guy! Terrible, terrible PoV. You realize Trump is going to make it so we don't have to assimilate. We are going to become Italian once again and these Americans who continue to make our blood impure will not stand in the way. Heil Trump! We love him. He will make every tradition strong once again!
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2016, 11:27:12 PM »

Derpist, last time I checked, America was a MULTICULTURAL nation...so if I want to identify as ARAB-AMERICAN, PALESTINIAN-AMERICAN or MUSLIM-AMERICAN I can and will.

Multi-cultural can mean different things. It can mean countries like Brazil, Peru, and (yes!) Mexico. America is actually surrounded by nations of immigrants. America should obviously be in this category. They have all integrated newcomers while retaining their basic character.

Multi-cultural can also include places like Belgium or Yugoslavia (before it collapsed) or Lebanon (before jihadis started expelling Christians) or Nigeria. Their inability to integrate Muslims is leading many European nations into this group. America should not be in this group.

Because you in your infinite wisdom and knowledge knows exactly what goes in that part of the world.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2016, 11:28:40 PM »

The irony is the article this that started the thread is even proof of this. The writer's was that he was so assimilated he barely even identified as Hispanic before Trump.

The typical Jihadist in Western Europe doesn't speak a lick of Arabic and is extremely casual/non-devout about their Islam.

Which is why I think we're looking at a generation of people who are highly assimilated but have chosen not to integrate. Which is why the problem isn't one of culture - but a simpler, less justifiable one of SJW-driven disloyalty.

OMG, we're not nationalists! We're disloyal scum!
Derpist
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2016, 11:33:21 PM »

Because you in your infinite wisdom and knowledge knows exactly what goes in that part of the world.

Ah yes, I missed the part in my history book where peaceful members of the religion of peace politely asked millions of Christian Lebanese to GTFO of a majority-Christian country, as the Paris of the Middle East just spontaneously started erupting in inexplicable explosions.
Derpist
Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2016, 11:34:23 PM »

OMG, we're not nationalists! We're disloyal scum!

In all fairness, native-born Americans do it to some regrettable extent too. Crass tribalism is a rising force - which is horrifying in an immigrant nation.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2016, 11:41:41 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2016, 11:48:11 PM by #TheShadowyAbyss »

Ah yes, I missed the part in my history book where peaceful members of the religion of peace politely asked millions of Christian Lebanese to GTFO of a majority-Christian country, as the Paris of the Middle East just spontaneously started erupting in inexplicable explosions.

LOL please crawl back into that pathetic hole you crawled out of. That is why the Lebanese must have a Christian President, Head of Army, and head of Banks.

The Lebanese civil war was fought between EVERY group, the Phalanges versus the Druze, PLO, Muslim groups and left wing groups, then Israel naturally came in and ed it up also. Lebanon and all Arab countries were forced upon us and are artificial and Lebanon is a perfect example of why that didn't work. There were also a multitude of different factors into why Lebanon broke out in violence.  Druze and Christians, Christians and Muslims and Muslims and Druze and Arabs and non-Arabs fought against and together in Lebanon many times, once the Maronites took power the country once again broke down into ethno-religious groups that ONLY focused on themselves and the Maronites were greedy with their power.

Also, at the time, Lebanon was deeply divided on whether or not they should be a Western or Arab nation and that played another factor into the Lebanese Civil War.

I kindly advise you to re-learn history.
Derpist
Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2016, 11:47:14 PM »

LOL please crawl back into that pathetic hole you crawled out of. That is why the Lebanese must have a Christian President, Head of Army, and head of Banks.

The Lebanese civil war was fought between EVERY group, the Phalanges versus the Druze, PLO, Muslim groups and left wing groups, then Israel naturally came in and ed it up also.

I kindly advise you to re-learn history you twat.

1. Yes. That's because the Muslim chauvinists didn't actually win the war.

2. The Lebanese civil war started because Lebanon let in hundreds of thousands of Muslim refugees (sound familiar?Huh) and in their peaceful refugee JUST LOOKING FOR A BETTER LIFE YOU BIGOT ways, they started seizing power and flaring sectarian tension.

Crass tribalism at its worst.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2016, 11:47:18 PM »

The Lebanese civil war was fought between EVERY group, the Phalanges versus the Druze, PLO, Muslim groups and left wing groups, then Israel naturally came in and ed it up also. Lebanon and all Arab countries were forced upon us and are artificial and Lebanon is a perfect example of why that didn;t work.

I kindly advise you to re-learn history.

What happened to the "twat" comment ? LOL.
If it fits ... use it !
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2016, 11:55:24 PM »

The Lebanese civil war was fought between EVERY group, the Phalanges versus the Druze, PLO, Muslim groups and left wing groups, then Israel naturally came in and ed it up also.

I kindly advise you to re-learn history you twat.

1. Yes. That's because the Muslim chauvinists didn't actually win the war.

2. The Lebanese civil war started because Lebanon let in hundreds of thousands of Muslim refugees (sound familiar?Huh) and in their peaceful refugee JUST LOOKING FOR A BETTER LIFE YOU BIGOT ways, they started seizing power and flaring sectarian tension.

Crass tribalism at its worst.

Once again you're showing your ignorance on the subject, the problems existed BEFORE my people (Palestinians) fled to Lebanon once Israel started expelling us.

Go back and check the 1860 when the Druze and Maronites fought countless battles against each other for control over Mount Lebanon. The French in WWII sided with the Christian Lebanese over the Druze and the Muslims and gave them substantial power and carved out Mount Lebanon out of Syria to keep them in a separate state (once again proving my point that Sykes-Picot was a sh**tty agreement)

Plus there was a huge conflict in Lebanon going on as to whether it should be an ARAB nation or a WESTERN nation and many nation states shadow funded different groups in Lebanon.

EVERY group and I mean EVERY group fought in Lebanon, the whole issue here is that Lebanon WAS NEVER STABLE if you understood the history of the region, which apparently you don't.
Derpist
Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2016, 12:03:12 AM »

Once again you're showing your ignorance on the subject, the problems existed BEFORE my people (Palestinians) fled to Lebanon once Israel started expelling us.

Go back and check the 1860 when the Druze and Maronites fought countless battles against each other for control over Mount Lebanon. The French in WWII sided with the Christian Lebanese over the Druze and the Muslims and gave them substantial power and carved out Mount Lebanon out of Syria to keep them in a separate state (once again proving my point that Sykes-Picot was a sh**tty agreement)

Plus there was a huge conflict in Lebanon going on as to whether it should be an ARAB nation or a WESTERN nation and many nation states shadow funded different groups in Lebanon.

EVERY group and I mean EVERY group fought in Lebanon, the whole issue here is that Lebanon WAS NEVER STABLE if you understood the history of the region, which apparently you don't.

I've always disliked it when people explain conflicts with "old ethnic hatred! they're just like that!" A lot of people dismiss the Middle East as "oh people have been killing and hating each other for 2000 years " - when that's not really true.

Disagreement is not conflict, no matter how tense and fraught. Nor is terrorism. The Troubles sucked, but it didn't end up in total civil war with tens of thousand dead.

There was absolutely no conflict comparable to what the PLO instigated. They came in hundreds of thousands of refugees, started seizing actual control all over South Lebanon, and then openly conspired with radical groups to violently change the sectarian status quo of Lebanese government.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2016, 01:03:49 AM »

Hispanics have a strong tendency to assimilate non-Hispanics into their culture.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2016, 03:22:01 AM »

The irony of it all is that Mexicans/hispanics are doing all of this yet, if they actually put this much energy into their OWN corrupt country maybe we wouldn't be having to build walls in the first place.  You cant claim to care soo much (while of coruse burning American flags and waving yours) but you don't want to confront the real issue is........ freaking Mexico is a dump. 
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2016, 07:31:59 AM »

The irony of it all is that Mexicans/hispanics are doing all of this yet, if they actually put this much energy into their OWN corrupt country maybe we wouldn't be having to build walls in the first place.  You cant claim to care so much (while of course burning American flags and waving yours) but you don't want to confront the real issue is........ freaking Mexico is a dump. 

It's clearly time for those who are busy waving the Mexican flag as they smash police cars and bloody Trump supporters, it's time for these folks to start shouting charges of racism and xenophobia towards those of us who find their activities abhorrent. Clearly, we're just being un American.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2016, 08:54:08 AM »

The irony of it all is that Mexicans/hispanics are doing all of this yet, if they actually put this much energy into their OWN corrupt country maybe we wouldn't be having to build walls in the first place.  You cant claim to care so much (while of course burning American flags and waving yours) but you don't want to confront the real issue is........ freaking Mexico is a dump. 

It's clearly time for those who are busy waving the Mexican flag as they smash police cars and bloody Trump supporters, it's time for these folks to start shouting charges of racism and xenophobia towards those of us who find their activities abhorrent. Clearly, we're just being un American.

It's clearly time to deport every immigrant, legal or illegal, who participates in such protests (i. e. burning the American flag and waving a foreign flag).

The only people that should be allowed to live in America as legal immigrants are folks who intend their only national loyalty to be to America.  These folks who burn American flags and wave Mexican flags are making anti-American statements.  That's fine and good, but the 1st Amendment does not give you the right to be here if you're not a citizen.  That decision is determined by the national interest.  This sort of protest reflects a hatred for America.  There is something to "My Country, right or wrong!".  If you hate America THAT MUCH, and you're an alien of any status, your continued presence in the United States is not in the best interest of the rest of America. 
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2016, 12:30:21 PM »

It's clearly time to deport every immigrant, legal or illegal, who participates in such protests (i. e. burning the American flag and waving a foreign flag).

The only people that should be allowed to live in America as legal immigrants are folks who intend their only national loyalty to be to America.  These folks who burn American flags and wave Mexican flags are making anti-American statements.  That's fine and good, but the 1st Amendment does not give you the right to be here if you're not a citizen.  That decision is determined by the national interest.  This sort of protest reflects a hatred for America.  There is something to "My Country, right or wrong!".  If you hate America THAT MUCH, and you're an alien of any status, your continued presence in the United States is not in the best interest of the rest of America. 

Yes. Three key points to keep in mind:

(1) the 1st Amendment does not apply to you if you're not a citizen of the United States;
(2) the 1st Amendment does not give you the right to destroy public property (and for those who might be confused, police vehicles are public property);
(3) the 1st Amendment does not give you the right to assault those with whom you disagree;

If you are a citizen and feel the need to, then burn the flag and shout your messages, but don't be surprised if your fellow citizens begin to wave that same flag and shout their message back your way, because that's the beauty of these United States. God Bless America.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2016, 12:48:26 PM »

The protests are just a reaction to racists like you two. They shouldn't burn the flag because that is just stupid and counter productive but you silly racists need to be put back in line as well.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2016, 02:04:38 PM »

Yes. Three key points to keep in mind:

(1) the 1st Amendment does not apply to you if you're not a citizen of the United States;
(2) the 1st Amendment does not give you the right to destroy public property (and for those who might be confused, police vehicles are public property);
(3) the 1st Amendment does not give you the right to assault those with whom you disagree;
Actually, the Supreme Court has said that the 1st Amendment does not distinguish between citizens and non-citizens. While non-citizens certainly do not have all of the rights of US citizens, fundamental ones including the 1st Amendment still apply, as they should. What kind of country would this be if foreign journalists, students, academics, etc. were not granted the same freedom of thought and expression as anyone else?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies