Will Trump win the youth vote by default?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:26:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Will Trump win the youth vote by default?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Will Trump win the youth vote by default?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 103

Author Topic: Will Trump win the youth vote by default?  (Read 4154 times)
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2016, 08:42:38 PM »

A lot of young people at University will pro-actively vote against Trump.

So no.
cwt

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2016, 10:06:55 PM »

The Sanders youth-vote is mostly people who wouldn't have voted if he weren't running or would have voted third party. In other words, they aren't voting Republican.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2016, 10:47:18 PM »

The Sanders youth-vote is mostly people who wouldn't have voted if he weren't running or would have voted third party. In other words, they aren't voting Republican.
Considering that the youth vote as percent of the party hasn't changed since 2008, most young Sanders supporters are just young voters who happen to be democrats or liberal independents who would have likely voted in any competitive Dem primary. Non-voters and third party supporters are a small minority.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2016, 11:53:00 PM »

Trump is a dishonest flip-flopping rambler who wants to indiscriminately deport millions of otherwise law-abiding people, has a history of sexist remarks, and throughout his life has funded the politicians that have ruined this country.
Something which "every other major country on Earth" (to quote Sanders) does, albeit not in the millions. Let's dispel with this fiction that illegal immigration isn't a big deal. I think it's impractical to even attempt to deport that many people, but that's because of decades of ambivalence on the issue from both parties. Just because it's impractical doesn't mean it's morally wrong to advocate such a position. In fact, Trump's position is the morally courageous position.

This. I don't even think kicking 12 million people is the best idea, but I give a man huge props for be being brave enough to suggest actually enforcing our laws. I'm also horrified that wanting to enforce immigration laws (which every other major country on Earth) does is automatically enough to be branded a fascist/racist.

Plus, if our opening offer is 12 million, maybe we come away with something like 4 million or something. The Art of the Deal! Smiley
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2016, 02:57:00 AM »

Trump's dank memes are his greatest asset when it comes to the youth vote.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2016, 03:15:33 AM »

Rubio would have won it against Hillary.  Trump probably loses it, but not as badly as Romney, largely because the current 18-24 crowd is somewhat more conservative than the previous one.

LOL no. Youth turnout was down in 2012 from 2008, and IIRC, although Romney did win younger white voters, the younger generation is increasingly more diverse, and of course this bodes well for Democrats.

Young people aren't going to vote for a party that they already think hates women, minorities, gays, Muslims, etc. *insert Trump's comments here*

Young people have New York values, to quote your candidate.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2016, 07:34:34 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Not all of us. Wink

And no, I'm still not voting for Trump.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2016, 09:04:49 AM »

If Trump could craft a message to millennials addressing their own difficulties in the job market, he has potential for growth in that group.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2016, 09:23:04 AM »
« Edited: April 30, 2016, 09:25:56 AM by dspNY »

He (Trump) will lose the youth vote by a staggering margin. The only question is how many of them will vote because their hero Sanders lost to Hillary in a landslide
Mallow
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2016, 09:29:29 AM »

Trump is a dishonest flip-flopping rambler who wants to indiscriminately deport millions of otherwise law-abiding people, has a history of sexist remarks, and throughout his life has funded the politicians that have ruined this country.
Something which "every other major country on Earth" (to quote Sanders) does, albeit not in the millions. Let's dispel with this fiction that illegal immigration isn't a big deal. I think it's impractical to even attempt to deport that many people, but that's because of decades of ambivalence on the issue from both parties. Just because it's impractical doesn't mean it's morally wrong to advocate such a position. In fact, Trump's position is the morally courageous position.

This. I don't even think kicking 12 million people is the best idea, but I give a man huge props for be being brave enough to suggest actually enforcing our laws. I'm also horrified that wanting to enforce immigration laws (which every other major country on Earth) does is automatically enough to be branded a fascist/racist.

Plus, if our opening offer is 12 million, maybe we come away with something like 4 million or something. The Art of the Deal! Smiley

He's not being branded a fascist/racist merely because he says we should deport all illegal immigrants. He's being branded a fascist/racist because he says "Mexico is sending their criminals, their rapists." Because he supports a religious test for legal immigration. These are not moral or reasonable comments. And yet Trump made them. How is that so difficult for some to understand? Is it really that easy to forget some of the disgusting things Trump said, and not even that long ago?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2016, 09:46:13 AM »

He's not being branded a fascist/racist merely because he says we should deport all illegal immigrants. He's being branded a fascist/racist because he says "Mexico is sending their criminals, their rapists." Because he supports a religious test for legal immigration. These are not moral or reasonable comments. And yet Trump made them. How is that so difficult for some to understand? Is it really that easy to forget some of the disgusting things Trump said, and not even that long ago?

Trump's comments on "rapist and murderers" would not be seen as despicable if folks understood the scope of the problem of Transnational Criminal Gangs (MS-13, Nortenos, Surenos, and others) and the deadly havoc they inflict on many American cities.  They are doing the business of criminal drug cartels from other countries here in the US, and the violence they inflict includes rapes, murders, and human trafficking.  The problems these folks create within the US are entirely a product of our porous Southern Border. 
Mallow
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2016, 09:59:45 AM »
« Edited: April 30, 2016, 10:10:32 AM by Mallow »

Trump's comments on "rapist and murderers" would not be seen as despicable if folks understood the scope of the problem of Transnational Criminal Gangs (MS-13, Nortenos, Surenos, and others) and the deadly havoc they inflict on many American cities.  They are doing the business of criminal drug cartels from other countries here in the US, and the violence they inflict includes rapes, murders, and human trafficking.  The problems these folks create within the US are entirely a product of our porous Southern Border.  

That's not what was being discussed (in other words, it's a red herring). The question I was addressing is "Why is Donald Trump being labeled a fascist/racist?" To which I responded "He has unapologetically made fascist/racist statements." Which is accurate.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2016, 10:01:16 AM »

Millennials hate Trump more than any other generation, including Republican millennials. If he somehow becomes president, it'll be because of people in their 40's, 50's and 60's.

You forgot the ones in their 70s, 80s, 90s, and 100s. Wink
Yeah, but people in their 110s, 120s, 130s, 140s, and 150s will break for Hillary like they do for every Democrat.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2016, 10:29:35 AM »

Millennials hate Trump more than any other generation, including Republican millennials. If he somehow becomes president, it'll be because of people in their 40's, 50's and 60's.

You forgot the ones in their 70s, 80s, 90s, and 100s. Wink
Yeah, but people in their 110s, 120s, 130s, 140s, and 150s will break for Hillary like they do for every Democrat.

Sometimes the dead are smarter than the living, you know Smiley
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2016, 11:35:26 AM »

No, Reddit, 4chan, and Atlas are not representative of young people in general.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2016, 01:26:13 PM »

Trump's comments on "rapist and murderers" would not be seen as despicable if folks understood the scope of the problem of Transnational Criminal Gangs (MS-13, Nortenos, Surenos, and others) and the deadly havoc they inflict on many American cities.  They are doing the business of criminal drug cartels from other countries here in the US, and the violence they inflict includes rapes, murders, and human trafficking.  The problems these folks create within the US are entirely a product of our porous Southern Border. 

The fact of the matter is that "the scope of the problem" is not as big as you and trump supporters want to make it look like. The issue here is that Little-Hands-Drumpf-Fuhrer said something horrific, so trump followers then need to create excuses to paint-over and disguise trump's insulting words towards different groups.

Are there gangs and drugs that come over the border ? Yes, of course. But the extent is nothing you make it out to be. Studies have shown that foreign-born individuals exhibit remarkably low levels of involvement in crime across their life course. Read it and learn :
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/07/02/surprise-donald-trump-is-wrong-about-immigrants-and-crime/

And remember, trump labeled PRACTICALLY ALL immigrants as rapists and criminals, when he added that only "some, I assume, are good people." Why did trump use these words of hatred ? Discussing immigration is not a problem. But trump took it one huge step too far. Maybe he did it to rile up the xenophobic Republican base, or maybe he did it because he is a racist/bigot.
These are the facts. You can twist it all you want, but in the end, trump made a huge "despicable" error, and will pay for it come November.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2016, 01:40:02 PM »

You're a liar who doesn't know or deliberately misstates the facts. The vast majority of immigrants, legal or illegal, have nothing to do with transnational gangs. Trump said that most Mexican immigrants are criminals and racists. How can you defend that statement by talking about transnational gangs? You are despicable.
EliteLX
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.64, S: 0.85

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2016, 01:44:13 PM »

No, but youth turnout is going to be obliterated compared to what it was on track for with Bernie. From a first hand perspective, millennials and social media think Hillary is a rat and think Donald Trump is just a nutjob.

They're all going to stay home, but Hillary will probably win then 2-1.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2016, 02:07:54 PM »

I doubt the youth vote will deviate significantly from historical patterns. In 2012, it was already pretty low. People like to say Obama won in part by turning out the youth, but in reality youth turnout was actually lower than the average in the modern era (1972 - now). The reality is that Millennials are growing up and voting more as they age, and Millennials are heavily Democratic. That is what he owes part of his success to.

If I had to guess, youth turnout will stay at 2012 levels, give or take a little bit.

http://civicyouth.org/quick-facts/youth-voting/
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2016, 07:34:19 PM »

Yes. Perhaps we'll see a Frontline special on this. I too think the problem is much more serious than many seem willing to admit.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2016, 08:21:27 PM »

My respect for him dropped quite a bit when I found out that his dad was wealthy.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2016, 08:22:48 PM »

My respect for him dropped quite a bit when I found out that his dad was wealthy.
He got a very modest loan from his father, compared to Mitt Romney's substantial inheritance from George Romney.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2016, 10:58:25 PM »

Considering that the youth vote as percent of the party hasn't changed since 2008, most young Sanders supporters are just young voters who happen to be democrats or liberal independents who would have likely voted in any competitive Dem primary. Non-voters and third party supporters are a small minority.

You have a point, but young people are a different group now than 8 years ago. Sanders's base is people who couldn't vote in 2008.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2016, 11:01:12 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2016, 11:10:21 PM by ProudModerate2 »

Brand New Poll/Survey just released .....

A new poll suggests that a race for president between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton could yield the lowest support for a Republican candidate among young voters in decades.

The survey, conducted by the Harvard University Institute of Politics, finds that in a hypothetical matchup, 61% of likely voters age 18-29 say they would vote for Clinton, while just 25% would vote for Trump. That's worse than most other recent Republican candidates for president.

Read the survey details and weep, trump supporters:
http://iop.harvard.edu/iop-now/harvard-iop-spring-2016-poll
Or additional commentary via CNN:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/25/politics/donald-trump-young-voters/index.html
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2016, 01:19:53 PM »

61% of likely voters age 18-29 say they would vote for Clinton, while just 25% would vote for Trump.

That is almost 3-to-1. Staggering !
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies