Will Trump win the youth vote by default?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:01:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Will Trump win the youth vote by default?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Will Trump win the youth vote by default?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 103

Author Topic: Will Trump win the youth vote by default?  (Read 4144 times)
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 29, 2016, 02:50:46 PM »

Given Hillary's unpopularity with young Sanders voters who might stay home en masse will Trump end up winning the youth vote by default since young voters who are more likely to show up will be Alt-Right types?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 02:54:12 PM »

From USA Today, back in March:

"Poll shows that Millennials would flock to Clinton against Trump"
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/03/14/poll-millennials-clinton-sanders-trump-president/81612520/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So, no.
Desroko
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 02:54:40 PM »

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2016/04/25/young-voters-overwhelmingly-prefer-clinton-over-trump-poll/

61-25.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 02:54:48 PM »

No. Under 30s will always lean D, but turnout will probably be low.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 03:01:27 PM »

I'm a millennial who isn't crazy about either one, but I would sigh in relief if Trump lost in November.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 03:01:41 PM »

The youth "hate" Trump.    
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 03:03:45 PM »

Rubio would have won it against Hillary.  Trump probably loses it, but not as badly as Romney, largely because the current 18-24 crowd is somewhat more conservative than the previous one.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 03:03:58 PM »

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/25/11505126/poll-hillary-clinton-donald-trump
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 03:09:34 PM »

The alt-right scum control Youtube comment sections, but I certainly hope they don't make up the majority of young whites...
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 03:10:50 PM »

Exactly.
And remember, I'm 99% certain that Sanders will be campaigning and shown right next to Hillary at many rallies, after the Dem convention.
Sanders will ask, no plea, that his supporters back Hillary in the general election.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 03:12:09 PM »

Will Donald Trump win the age group that is the least white of any age group in the country? The guy who has done more to alienate non-white voters than probably any major-party candidate in 50+ years?

Lol
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 03:19:34 PM »

Rubio would have won it against Hillary.  Trump probably loses it, but not as badly as Romney, largely because the current 18-24 crowd is somewhat more conservative than the previous one.
You got any proof of that?  Anecdotes and feelings dont count.  Also, Trump is far less popular than Romney, so...
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 03:21:41 PM »

Rubio would have won it against Hillary.  Trump probably loses it, but not as badly as Romney, largely because the current 18-24 crowd is somewhat more conservative than the previous one.
You got any proof of that?  Anecdotes and feelings dont count.  Also, Trump is far less popular than Romney, so...
https://youtu.be/s3sFeOlZ9zM?t=15m27s
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 03:37:18 PM »

Polling indicates "no", but Trump is a biz-whiz and might run just the right ad.  Maybe put his beautiful daughter in his Cabinet and lock up young mens.

Oh despair.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2016, 03:45:43 PM »

Polling indicates "no", but Trump is a biz-whiz and might run just the right ad.  Maybe put his beautiful daughter in his Cabinet and lock up young mens.

Oh despair.

If I wasn't already behind him, I know that would get me! Yowza! Ivanka can do no wrong!
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2016, 03:49:47 PM »

Millennials hate Trump more than any other generation, including Republican millennials. If he somehow becomes president, it'll be because of people in their 40's, 50's and 60's.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2016, 03:52:46 PM »

Millennials hate Trump more than any other generation, including Republican millennials. If he somehow becomes president, it'll be because of people in their 40's, 50's and 60's.

You forgot the ones in their 70s, 80s, 90s, and 100s. Wink
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2016, 03:56:57 PM »

Erm, Millennials despise Trump (with one notable, interesting exception). My college-campus precinct put him in fourth place (behind Kasich, Cruz, and Ben Carson, even though Carson had already dropped out by then), and exit polling has him consistently doing worse among younger Republicans, with the effect intensifying the further west you go (in Nevada, he won the state by 21 points and lost the under-30 vote to Rubio by 6 points). In Ohio, 18-24 year-olds voted 43% Kasich, 23% Trump, 20% Cruz, and I'm fairly confident Cruz actually beat Trump among those under 21. The exception is the Northeast broadly, and especially New England, where the pattern is the opposite and he seems stronger among younger voters than older voters. But states in this area are so strongly Democratic that it really won't matter.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2016, 05:27:51 PM »

Millennials, in general, hate both of them, so it's silly to cherry-pick Hillary's unpopularity with young voters, ignoring Trump's.

Clinton would probably win it by default (as a Democrat), but turnout would be low and a relatively large amount of us, including myself, would vote for a different candidate.

Rubio would have won it against Hillary.

I don't think so. I see little to no evidence that a candidate who thinks it's 16 years ago ("New American Century?" dude, get a calendar, we're already 1/6th of the way through it) and has a boring, run-of-the-mill "mainstream Republican" campaign would do well with the youth vote.

Young people don't vote for the youngest candidate. In fact, I doubt there's any correlation supporting that theory. Young people vote for the candidate who gives them something different--like Ron Paul or Bernie Sanders, who happen to both be quite advanced in age. "Oh, but Trump's 'something different,' why don't they like him?" Trump is a dishonest flip-flopping rambler who wants to indiscriminately deport millions of otherwise law-abiding people, has a history of sexist remarks, and throughout his life has funded the politicians that have ruined this country. Oh, and he wants to shut down (parts of) the motherfudging internet, and kill Edward Snowden, someone who has done more for the country than any of these idiot politicians labeling him a "traitor." If that doesn't dispel the fiction that young people will vote for Trump, I don't know what does.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2016, 05:38:58 PM »

Trump is a dishonest flip-flopping rambler who wants to indiscriminately deport millions of otherwise law-abiding people, has a history of sexist remarks, and throughout his life has funded the politicians that have ruined this country.
Something which "every other major country on Earth" (to quote Sanders) does, albeit not in the millions. Let's dispel with this fiction that illegal immigration isn't a big deal. I think it's impractical to even attempt to deport that many people, but that's because of decades of ambivalence on the issue from both parties. Just because it's impractical doesn't mean it's morally wrong to advocate such a position. In fact, Trump's position is the morally courageous position.
standwrand
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.55, S: -2.74

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2016, 06:19:44 PM »

I second that Rubio would have won the millenial vote. His general election campaign would have been something for the ages. There's no way Hillary would have been prepared for that.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2016, 06:43:01 PM »

You forgot the ones in their 70s, 80s, 90s, and 100s. Wink

I figured he left them out on purpose - they're old enough to still remember why fascists like Trump are a bad idea.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2016, 06:47:57 PM »

As a member of such group, I will tell you in the simplest way possible:

NOT...A...CHANCE
Camaro33
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.23, S: 0.17

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2016, 07:01:28 PM »

It's way too early. A few things:

1.) What Sanders does will be a huge deal. If he encourages everyone to vote Hillary and maintains a presence with her throughout election season, then she can carry his youth over to her, effectively ending Trump's chances. Also, if Clinton chooses Sanders for VP, she gets the voters by default. If Sanders (highly unlikely) launches a 3rd party bid, then Trump wins the election, and ties Sanders in the youth vote due to ticket splitting. All three scenarios are unlikely as Sanders will probably not hit the campaign trail for Hillary.

2.) Trump will change his game plan. He perfectly catered to the largest segment of the Republican voters and they are glued to him. When he's the nominee, his rhetoric will change as he will not need to appease this demographic, but the broader electorate. He will do this running to Hillary's left and right on various issues. This will gain Trump youth voters from his position today, and is virtually inevitable that he will change his style to do this.

3.) VP picks will play a small role. In near certainty, barring a Sanders VP for Clinton, the Republican VP choice will be well known (one of the dropped out candidates) and may end up being someone the youth like more than Clinton in terms of net favorables. Clinton's VP pick in all likelihood will not be a household name.

4.) Once Trump starts attacking Clinton, especially on social media, a small shift of independent youth voters (a small slice of the youth electorate considering their overall left tendency) can ONLY go his way since they are already on Hillary's side.

All in all, I doubt Trump wins the youth vote, but he certainly can far exceed expectations. He can ONLY go up from his current position with them. Thus, winning 40+% would not surprise me. Remember...this is Hillary! Election is going to be close and is result will be entirely dependent on turnout of the youth (the liberal and diverse slice of the electorate).
RR1997
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2016, 07:54:09 PM »

Donald John Trump will absolutely not win the youth vote.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies